Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 10:48 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty!

Wow. I remember way back when a topic was posted asking who had bought the extended warranty and if it was worth it. Well, I have never been happier than right now to know I have that added protection until 100k for 700$ because I know with all of the SERIOUS transmission problems going on that I am going to be on the list one day of people having their transmissions replaced and I don't want to have to pay for it.

The last thing that I want to do is have to drive my car constantly thinking it is going to give out whether OR NOT I even drive it hard. I think that would just kill the entire experience.

And, I believe that this transmission problem is way more vast than anyone thinks. Imagine how many owners not on this site are experiencing this. I recall making this same point way back when about our actuators and people telling me that it was more isolated than I imagined. Well, to this day I bet that a fair number of CLS owners are driving around with bad actuators with absolutely no knowledge that they are not getting that nice flat torque curve that Acura promised. If nothing else, there should be a technical bulletin for this since it can be checked in 10 seconds at any routine oil change. I feel that not doing something like this is very sneaky and 99.9% of owners would never know this. So, thanks once again t oScalbert who has kept all of us in the know. Imagine if no one ever figured that out. Some of us would be running 14's at the track and some of us would be running 16's and nobody would have any clue what was going on.

So, in short, my plan is the following:

Keep car for 90,000miles or 5.25 years, which ever comes first. At that point I can sell it with 10k of miles or 0.75 of a year left on the warranty and never have to worry about it. If my tranny hasn't given out by then, well then I'm sure it would at 101,000 miles.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JZ:
<STRONG>
And, I believe that this transmission problem is way more vast than anyone thinks. Imagine how many owners not on this site are experiencing this.
</STRONG>
Actually, I think it's exactly the opposite. Who's on this site? Mainly car enthusaists. Do you think we drive our cars harder or easier than the avg baby boomer who buys this thing? Whatever percentage of people on this site that are having tranny issues is, I would cut it in half and that's probably the problem rate for the car as a whole.

Or it could just be that there are a certain number of defective trannies out there. It seems that most of the people having them replaced have done so fairly early.... long before the warranty expired. It will be interesting to see if anyone who has had a tranny replacement will experience problems again. Now THAT will worry me!! Having a batch of defective trannys or having a tranny that can only take a very limited amount of abuse is one thing. But having truly widespread problems is another. I still don't think we can do anything but speculate about the strength of our tranny at this point.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:58 PM
Race Director

An extended warranty is all about managing risks. The comments for the extended warranty indicated that those individuals are risk adverse and are willing to pay now for protection later. I am one of those persons. I have an extended warranty thru my insurance company.

OTOH, there are those who prefer to keep their money in their pocket and they don't worry about problems with their car. It works both ways, if it happens to them, they pay the $1000+ dollars for the repairs, the same $$$ more or less that you paid for the warranty.

It's all the same. If you are pretty sure there will be problems, you may want to take out [more] insurance earlier. However, I don't believe those without sufficient coverage actually worry [constantly] about impending problems. And for all of us, whatever fears we have regarding our cars giving out on us, these fears are not completely mitigated by an extended warranty. IOW, I'm going to say holy sh*t anyway if my tranny falls out at 75,000 miles.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:12 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
<STRONG>

Actually, I think it's exactly the opposite. Who's on this site? Mainly car enthusaists. Do you think we drive our cars harder or easier than the avg baby boomer who buys this thing? Whatever percentage of people on this site that are having tranny issues is, I would cut it in half and that's probably the problem rate for the car as a whole.

Or it could just be that there are a certain number of defective trannies out there. It seems that most of the people having them replaced have done so fairly early.... long before the warranty expired. It will be interesting to see if anyone who has had a tranny replacement will experience problems again. Now THAT will worry me!! Having a batch of defective trannys or having a tranny that can only take a very limited amount of abuse is one thing. But having truly widespread problems is another. I still don't think we can do anything but speculate about the strength of our tranny at this point.</STRONG>
I agree with you totally. As for the extended warranty, i have it and it was $ well spent for peace of mind. Transmission hysteria is in right now, previously it was actuator hysteria which was also overrated. Just drive your car hard and enjoy !
Old 10-08-2001, 12:14 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

All I can say is that many of the people that have had bad trannys ( a whole bunch on the TL and TLS forum as well) have stated clearly that they have never even driven their cars hard. And, by the way, I know there are at least 1 or two people, if not more, who are on their third transmissions.