Texaco changing To Shell. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Texaco changing To Shell. Questions...

I got a letter today from Texaco saying that they're changing most of their stations over to the Shell brand, because they were basically sold to Shell.

I've always had a lot of faith in Texaco gas, however that doesn't hold true for Shell.

Does anyone know if the gas formula is going to change when they switch over? Or maybe it already has since I think this whole Shell transition has been happening for a while.

Or does anyone know the quality of Shell gas? Anyone ever had problems with it..?

I'm thinking I'll probably just switch over to Chevron, probably the only other gas company that I trust...

EDIT: I just decided to go to Texaco's website to see if there is any more information on this stuff... I'm realizing that Chevron and Texaco are pretty much the same thing.. This means Shell too.. Does anyone know if they're all using the same gas? Or do they have difference manufacturing plants/formulas..?
Old 08-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Shit...

And I love Texaco gas....

I hate Shell.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is interesting...

From what I understand Texaco for the most part is now a subsidiary (if you can even call it that) of Chevron, now I would think that all the Texaco stations if that convert would be changing over to Chevron. From what I have heard, the formulation of the Texaco fuel has stayed the same since combining the production efforts of both of those companies.

Now another question I would have for you, is what type of problems did you have with Shell fuel?? If anything the only fuel vendor I refuse to fill my car up with is Chevron due to the inability (from the studies I have seen) of the Techron to not break down and actually collect in the bottom of the tank.

Anyone else have any thoughts??
Old 08-28-2002, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

You might be confused with the gas station vs. the oil company. I haven't heard any news of chevrontexaco (CVX) owning or buying or being bought by shell (division of royal dutch "RD").

gas stations can choose whatever brand of gas they want, and when someone owns like 10 gas stations, they may all be the same kind, but that person may decide to change all of his gas stations to another kind if he chooses.

i own a lot of cvx stock, and i keep up with it regularly (even though i'm still in brazil), and i know there was nothing new between shell and chevrontexaco within the last week.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mrdeeno

gas stations can choose whatever brand of gas they want, and when someone owns like 10 gas stations, they may all be the same kind, but that person may decide to change all of his gas stations to another kind if he chooses.

I don't think that's what's happening. I got this letter because I have a Texaco credit card. They said they're in the process of changing 13,000 Texaco stations into Shell, and will be sending me a new Shell credit card to replace my Texaco Card.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

I believe Texaco and Shell have a joint refining company called Equilon, so you're probably getting the same gas from either place.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:28 PM
Banned

Re: Texaco changing To Shell. Questions...

Shell?! Last I read Texaco merged with Chevron. It's even on there site they merged with them. Exxon is Mobil gas stations. Shell, first time I heard anything about that,
Old 08-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Since no one seems to have heard of this, I thought i'd share the letter that I got. Let me know if you want it bigger, but you should be able to read it okay as it is.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:28 PM
go like hell

Personally I almost only run Shell in my car and almost all of our tractors and truck.
i'd say 90 or 95% in my car is Shell (once in a while i run a tank of something else)
we don't have Texaco around here.
so it's pretty much Shell or Marathon.(that's the 2 major fuel chains in this area)
so I had a friend that SWORE by Marathon gas he wouldn't shut up until I tried a tank. So i have a little diesel tractor(about 25 HP) I thought no big deal I'll put 5-6 gallons in it see how it acts. I want to say MARATHON FUEL SUCKS.:P (seriously) It ran crappy it pulled harder when i was mowing, it smoked a lot, then I went and got Shell and it was fine.(and I'm not the only one who thinks this I have a friend with a Powerstroke Ford and he won't put Marathon in it and he lives like 4 or 5 miles from a Marathon station)
so I decided maybe I got a bad mix of diesel I'll try Marathon's gas in my car. so I filled up my car with Marathon.my mileage dropped(normally i can go 400-410 before my fuel light comes on it was coming on around 340-350)(and no i was hot rodding or driving up hill or was in traffic jams)(just normal driving), my power dropped. So next tank I went back to Shell and my car acted normal again (I guess my car is picky about gas )
Old 08-28-2002, 10:43 PM
Instructor

craigyg69,

First of all, from reading the letter you posted from Shell, it looks more like a marketing ploy on Shell's part to get you to switch to their brand. The letter states that some of the Texaco stations are getting sold to Shell and will of course become Shell stations....But Texaco, the company, is not getting bought by Shell. All of this probably happened because of Texaco and Chevron's merger in order to comply with certain anti-trust issues.

So what it really means is even with your new Shell credit card the Texaco station around the corner that you've been going to isn't necessarily going to become a Shell station. The letter specifically states that you can still use the new card at existing Texacos. BTW, I have used Shell gas and Texaco gas and have had no problems with either. IMHO, if you just go to a major brand gas station you don't have to worry about too much.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Driven
craigyg69,

First of all, from reading the letter you posted from Shell, it looks more like a marketing ploy on Shell's part to get you to switch to their brand. The letter states that some of the Texaco stations are getting sold to Shell and will of course become Shell stations....But Texaco, the company, is not getting bought by Shell. All of this probably happened because of Texaco and Chevron's merger in order to comply with certain anti-trust issues.

Ahh great points. I never really thought of it this way. Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

after reading that, it seems that chevrontexaco is selling the gas stations they provide gas to to shell, it's "intererest in it's U.S. stations".

not any part of it's company, just the stations it provides gas to. so i think it will actually be "Shell" gas as opposed to texaco gas. i guess all you can do is find a chevron station or the texaco stations that they haven't sold.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:49 PM
TRELOS

Re: This is interesting...

Originally posted by JSuppi
...If anything the only fuel vendor I refuse to fill my car up with is Chevron due to the inability (from the studies I have seen) of the Techron to not break down and actually collect in the bottom of the tank.
REALLY . My engine is at least 98% Chevron and I've never used below 93 octane. I've got 37K on the odometer and I've never had a single problem.

Juker008
Old 08-29-2002, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Shell and Texaco/Chevron have been working on a merger for a while now.

Shell gas is just fine. I've used it for over 20 years with no trouble in any of my cars. I use other gas as necessary (can't find a convienient Shell station), but prefer Shell. My 03 CL-S runs real well on it.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:11 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Here in South Florida, Shell is the most expensive gas of all.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:33 PM
Intermediate

two things... Silverbullet said:
Exxon is Mobil gas stations
So are you saying that gas from an exxon station is the same as gas from a mobil station? I have sometimes filled up with mobil, and I find that I get pretty good gas mileage and a responsive engine, but on the one or two times I've filled up with exxon my car ran like poop.

Second, what do you think of Amoco's gas? I often use Amoco's premium gas and I find my '01CL runs real nice on it... anyone else..?