Technical Service Bulletins

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Wanna-Be A-CL Sr. Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technical Service Bulletins

Do any of you know where I can obtain all of the TSBs on my CL? AllData provides the title of the bulletin for free but not the full bulletin. My rotors need to be turned pretty bad and I remember seeing on here that it was a known issue due to the brake pads. There is also a TSB on it, and I'd like to print it out and show it to my dealer. As it stands now, they want me to pay $165 to have the rotors machined which is a bit rediculous. I was told last time I was there it would be covered under warranty.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 07-11-2002, 10:39 AM
Race Director

I know this is going to cause a lot of arguments and what not, but I'm going to say it anyway, sorry.

I don't think Honda/Acura TSBs are freely published anymore. I think I read that here someplace.

Why? I don't know for sure why they may not be available to the public. Probably because they are written in such a way that they are designed to be read and implemented by authorized personnel only. Perhaps there is something separate or a different way that Honda/Acura properly and promptly notifies the public about service work to their vehicle and keep the customer sufficiently informed.

Here's the controversial part and these are just my opinions: when one buys a vehicle, they are not entitled to the TSBs, it would only be a [helpful] courtesy. One should not use the TSB published by the parent company to insist that independent dealerships provide "free" work on their vehicle because of the way the customer interprets the TSB and/or the particular problem with their vehicle. There, I said it.

I think it would be great if we could have access to the TSB and read them and share them and learn from them. In fact, if you do a good search, you'll find most of them published here. But unfortunately because they have been misused or have the potential for abuse, they might not be available in the future. This is an example, according to this post, no one should ever have to pay for rotors that need turning because there's a TSB that says so?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Wanna-Be A-CL Sr. Member

I'm not worried about paying for them. But if there is a known issue with them, it needs to be resolved as part of the warranty. My car was purchased and manufactured before the TSB was published, therefore I am assuming my car has the same faulty parts as the TSB talks about. If Acura realizes this as a problem with their parts, they need to be replaced. Why should I have the added expense of getting my rotors turned more often because Acura has faulty brake pads on my car? Should I have to replace brakes AND turn my rotors? I can't imagine it is very common to have your rotors turned 6 months after you purchase a new car. It's obvious there is a problem I would think.

Just my 2 cents..

S