Taking the LEAF BLOWER concept to the next level

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Smitty
Yes but I am sure you will be throwing small particles of dirt onto your car with an electric too..no?... will you place a filter somewhere within the system to prevent this from happening?
Yes, I’m going to put an intake filter on this one although I’m really not convinced using a leaf blower does any more harm then driving down the Interstate at 80-MPH.

Electric = Particles
Gas = Oil & Particles

I’ll go electric
Old 08-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
I have a compressor and answered this question on PAGE 2…. Have a look.

Shawn S
you need a MANLY air compressor.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Re: Your Wheels

Originally posted by Ogolden1
Hey Shawn, your wheels look just like those Zenneti's I originally had that BROKE the inner hub from the spokes!!!
Yes, I remember that post.
I’ve heard of LOTS of problems with the Zenneti's. That’s why they’re so cheap.
Mine are made on the same line as Lowenhart. It’s the same exact wheel with a different distribution name.
I’ve hit some pretty good obstacles with them and they have yet to get a single flat spot.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by mattg
you need a MANLY air compressor.
My friend has a “manly” compressor that he paid like 550 dollars for.
One of those upright jobs that stands like 6FT tall.
It goes to a higher pressure and regenerates faster then mine, but still doesn’t move the volume of air that a 60-dollar leaf blower can.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 PM
?!?

Originally posted by Shawn S
...doesn’t move the volume of air that a 60-dollar leaf blower can .
or yourself when u gab on about retarded topics
Old 08-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to burst your bubble shawn, but I would have thought someone would have mentioned the high volume blowers already used to dry cars at the carwash

Your patent might not go too far, but I'm sure it'll be fun to build and use.

I take it you have never tried to patent anything. It's a pain in the ass from my experiences with it. Some people patents are written so they can apply to many devices...

There's lot of us leaf blower folks

Good luck, keep at it!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

certifiable leaf blower academy graduate?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SiGGy
Not to burst your bubble shawn, but I would have thought someone would have mentioned the high volume blowers already used to dry cars at the carwash

I take it you have never tried to patent anything. It's a pain in the ass from my experiences with it. Some people patents are written so they can apply to many devices...

There's lot of us leaf blower folks

Good luck, keep at it!
i bet next he would have some indicator lights to park it just right.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jens H.
Now that is dedication to cleaning a car .Way to go Shawn .Me I am cheap I got one of those California squeegees and a couple of old towels .
Jens
That's what I use. The california blade saves so much time.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by 1999TL
That's what I use. The california blade saves so much time.
Indeed. I love that thing. At first, I was skeptical, but it works pretty well. And so far, I don't see any scratches from it.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by nokio
or yourself when u gab on about retarded topics
Who pissed in your Corn-Flakes yesterday? What’s with all the negative comments?
And why didn’t you reply to my PM?

Shawn S
Old 08-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by SiGGy

Yea, the Patent comment was a joke.

In this lawsuit happy country I don’t think I’d even want to BEGIN the legalities of marketing something that is run off ELECTRICITY utilizing high pressure air while being used around WATER.

Can you say....

Shawn S
Old 08-05-2003, 05:48 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I guess I'm still not seeing how this is going to do a complete job. While I think it's a cool idea, I'm a bit skeptical is all.

It'll be mounted somehow/somewhere above the car? You then have a hose of sorts to turn the device and move the air side-to-side... Correct? Stationary?

So how are you going to get to the back of the car? The Front? Dry the wheels? Is this thing going to slide in the X and Y directions? Because if it won't I don't see how you'll get the "Shawn S drying satisfaction"
Old 08-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Scrib
I guess I'm still not seeing how this is going to do a complete job. While I think it's a cool idea, I'm a bit skeptical is all.

It'll be mounted somehow/somewhere above the car? You then have a hose of sorts to turn the device and move the air side-to-side... Correct? Stationary?

So how are you going to get to the back of the car? The Front? Dry the wheels? Is this thing going to slide in the X and Y directions? Because if it won't I don't see how you'll get the "Shawn S drying satisfaction"
I’m figuring on using about 30FT of flexible hose so I can walk around and reach every panel of both vehicles parked in the garage.
At first I was going to mount the blower up out of the way in the rafters and hang the hose down from there.
But I was concerned about the dirty hose banging the side/top of the car.
Plus I recently installed three fluorescent light fixtures for better lighting when cleaning/polishing the cars and they’re in the way of where this would work effectively.
Now I’m thinking I will mount the blower up there, but HARD-PIPE down to a connection a few feet off the floor.
There I can connect the flexible hose and just let it lay on the cement as I walk around the car.

I’m trying to simulate the flow on our diagnostics software at work here to size the blower, but it’s not working well.
The program is more suited for running like 400-TONS of cement through 20” lines.
The error correction factor alone is larger then my entire system.

Shawn S
Old 08-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Shawn,

I'm thinking that you're gonna lose a ton through such a long run.

I remember when our house was being built and they were installing the central vacuum....... they needed to put a vacuum unit on each floor (and there's 3 floors) because just having a unit on the middle floor would not give enough suction to the floor above and below.

You're prolly gonna need a blower capable of moving some serious air if you're gonna run such a long tube and hose.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

sounds good to me.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Hmmm... I'm interested to see how this will work. I'm still skeptical, but I have to commend you for trying to get something like this to work.

I can't wait to see all the pics..
Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Tom2
Shawn,

I'm thinking that you're gonna lose a ton through such a long run.
Yea, that’s what I’m afraid of.
I’ll definitely be able to move enough air INTO the hose, but I’m worried about how much the static pressure will affect the OUTPUT of the blower even if I oversize it.

Shawn S
Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also probably want to find a tube which flows air efficiently
Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Neat idea, Shawn. Years ago, my parents had a blower like that from an old furnace that was set up to pull air in all the windows from the house, down to the basement and out an old coal door. That thing could move a LOT of air and slam doors but good if they weren't propped open well enough. It was about 2'x2'x18"

One thing you might also want to consider is what the sudden flow of air through that long flexible hose is going to do to the hose itself. I can see the end of that hose getting away from you when you flip the switch, sending it flopping around your garage like an angry snake, banging into everything.

Not good for the finish.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Drifting

We are ignoring one serious air mover here folks. One of the great inventions of the 1960's. The high bypass ratio turbofan jet engine! And, we don't need much of one either. Nothing from an airbus or 737, just one small Garrett turbofan from a Lear or a Cessna Citation should do fine!

To get a Boeing 757 from a dead stop to 30,000', it has been proven (by a Northwestern University professor, he was interested in the 9/11 attacks), that the energy expended is roughly equal to the amount of destruction we expended on Hiroshima (in an instant), or the amount of power produced by your average nuclear power plant over a 24 hour period.

Such energy would be overkill, hence, we could afford to downsize the powerplant. And, as an added bonus, the air will be delivered heated to several hundred degrees (maybe, thousands?) This should aid greatly to those pesky spots where water collects and puddles and be evaporated nearly instantly!

Certain care might want to be exercised around parts like rubber wipers, plastic mirrors, door handles (yep, plastic too), spoilers, head and tail lights, well, hell, basically everything but the block.

Roof rafters may have to be reinforced to solidly restrain the little beast, multiple 4 by 4s suggested (in pilings), but a lear engine is only 2,000 lbs of thrust (tip: one pound of thrust=2 hp.) Either way, Shawn can now COMFORTABLY wash his car, and I don't care if it is 30 below out, there is NOT gonna ba any frozen water on the garage floor (in probably any state, for that matter).

One caveat here, is that one should check ALL fluid levels after washing and drying the car. They may have evaporated.

So, here is your solution here. It might contain a bit of overkill, but I'll let you engineer types solve that. Hose materials may be a problem also

Two cautions here before proceeding. Plan on at least 50 gallons of JP-4 (kerosene) for each drying episode, and make sure you pass an Environmental Impact Statement on both state and federal levels before pouring footings for the tank, etc.

CAUTION!: Do NOT try this in a completely enclosed garage!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
powdercoater Dave, you are kidding, right?

Old 08-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Of course!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Banned

I can read the headlines now...."a car-washing fanatic in Pennsylvania while trying to dry his car with a heavy duty electric blower accidentally sucked himself in the blower causing himself some serious harm....luckily for him his wife came home and saw him stuck and pulled the cord"
Old 08-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Shawn just duck tape the hose to your mouth and blow... Your full of alot of HOT air.....:0......:roflol: j/k..

So what are you going to do??... speak up..
Old 08-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Smitty: You shit! I've had a lot of fun here.