Taking apart the shift gate??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 01:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Taking apart the shift gate??

My dumbass friend spilled a little of his beverage into the shift gate, and now it sticks a little when shifting gears. Can anyone give me a little direction into opening it up so I can clean it up?
I don't want to crack the plastic trim trying to get it open...thanks!
Old 08-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but I am scannerless

You might want to borrow or buy a Helm's (The 2001 CL/CLS Service Manual).

there are more than a few steps, and to give you an idea:

Page 14-154

1. Shift the transmission into [R] position.

2. Remove the console panel (see page 20-54)

<--------------------------------------->
Page 20-54:

Note:
* When prying with a flat-tip screwdriver, wrap it with protective tape to prevent damage.
* Take care not to scratch the front seat dashboard and related parts.

Remove these items:

* Driver's and passenger's front console trip (see page 20-53)
* Rear console (see page 20-53)
* Dashboard lower cover (see page 20-56)

Remove the console panel as shown

Install the console panel in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

* Replace any damaged clips
* Make sure the connectors are plugged in properly
<------------------------------------------>

3. Remove the nut securing the shift cable end (A) then separate the end from the shift lever assembly.

(There is a picture of the shift cable that heads back to the firewall)

4. Rotate the socket holder(A) on the shift cable (B) counter clockwise a quarter turn, then slide the holder to remove the shift cable from the shift lever bracket base (C)

Note: Do not remove the shift cable by twisting the shift cable guide (D)

5. Disconnect the shift lock solenoid connector (A) and the transmission gear selection switch assembly connector (B)

6. Remove the four bolts (C) securing the shift lever bracket base, then remove the shift lever assembly.

And so on... (At this point, you have your hands on the shift assembly proper. You would still need to rip it apart and clean whatever junk got inside…)

Page 14-157 in the 2001 CL/CLS Service Manual has an exploded diagram of the shift lever assembly with all of the goodies shown.

Page 20-54 has the picture of the console panel and various side pieces (20-53) has trim pictures.

(You may be able to get away without replacing everything mentioned above -- but, I don't know for sure, as I have not had the need to rip this apart.)

If you can get someone to scan the pictures for you (look for all XX-XX page type numbers in this reply), you might just have to spend a bit of time and be careful. If you don't like ripping apart interiors (not my cup of tea), you might want to find an alternate venue...

BTW -- there is a good chance that you have just gummed-up a number of non-electric parts. I don't know that I would let that go, but the transmission switch is cable operated and the detent switches for the SS are under the protective plate. I have no idea if got a few drips or a thorough dunking. OTOH, I've seen milk destroy the conductive ink in touch plates/keyboards and Colas eat away connectors...
Old 08-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Moog:

I don't know if EricL mentioned the "new" cup holders issued a year ago or so and that took some what care of this poor design in the early CL's. I noticed you have an early model and only 50+ posts on this board.....Anyway, I brought mine into the dealership and asked them kindly what to do ! They cleaned it under warranty by sending it out to a shop that detailed that section of the car ! Don't mess with that shit unless you have time on your hands. You'll be shocked how much stuff is under that console.
Good luck !
Old 08-02-2002, 05:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Once again this board has proven to be an excellent place for info.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:01 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Moog-Type-S
Thanks for all the info. Once again this board has proven to be an excellent place for info.
It's also an excellent place for BS!!!!!!!!

EricL is like a brain surgeon or rocket scientist I think. Looks like he made it easy for you!!!

Good Luck!!