Take those ugly front license plates off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take those ugly front license plates off!

I couldn't help noticing that many CL photos in this site show the front license plate. I know it's a legal thing to do but it makes the CL so ugly and you have to drill holes to your innocent bumper. I think It really destroys the CL's front style which was designed to be edgy and pointy. It also blocks some amount of air flow to the engine compartment, which might hurt the performance. OK OK, maybe it wont' affect the performance but it sure is ugly to look at. I didn't put the front license plate on my CL-S, in fact never did on my previous cars and never got any ticket for that. But even if you get caught by a cop, it gonna be only a small fine which can be refunded if you put it on later. And most cops don't even check to see if you have a front plate since they always stop behind you and check only the rear license plate. How many times did you see a cop checking your front license plate after he pulled you over? If you are not convinced yet, it's gonna be a non-moving violation, which means no negative point toward your insurance. I think most cops will let you go if you promise them that you'll put it on right away. It might even help you to escape one of those nasty speeding trap cameras. So don't be so nice boys to your uncle Sam and take those ugly front plates off!

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Navi, Silver, Spoiler, PIAA 1900X
Old 02-22-2001, 11:04 PM
IDRSLOW

Not really convincing. besides, the cops check my front licence plate all the time since they are trying to give me every ticket that they can give.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S. Blk/Blk w/Navi, Spoiler, All Season Floor Mats, Mahogany Shift Knob, Mud Guards, PIAA Super Plasma High Beams, PIAA 19169 Platinum Super White Wedge Bulbs, 10%/5% Tints.

So far four door dings, DVD Navigation System Unit Replaced, both Driver and Passenger side Seat Back fell off, and replaced both Wipers and Wind Shield.

[This message has been edited by rurofan (edited 02-22-2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

I already got a ticket for it. I still wont put it on the front of the car though.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:34 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My front plate came off when i hit a divider, didnt notice till 2 days later and hadent had one on in 2 months now. Only got pulled over once by a pig from my town (wallington) cuz the cop had a PHD..
(Playa Hatin Degree) and he wanted to take a whiff of the car to see if he smelt the sweet endo, but he let me off with a warning, other then that no prob with pigs in NJ.. so when i get my new bumper in March when uncle sam gives me my loot i will leave the front plates off, and just say I just got a new bumper and am waiting for brackets!
Old 02-22-2001, 11:46 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sleeper S:
I already got a ticket for it. I still wont put it on the front of the car though.</font>
Word!!!
I had a front plate when I bought the car (the Dealership braggin' their a$$es off), but as soon as I got home I took this sh!t of!!!.
It's so beautiful

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Just bought it
Old 02-23-2001, 12:01 AM
Instructor

no holes were drilled for my plate on the front, bracket mounts underneath....I hate the plate as much or more than anybody, but I don't wanna deal with the DC or Baltimore police if you know what I mean....I sure as hell don't wanna give em a reason to fine me for my tint

------------------
Sundance,Navi,
TAG ACURA S,
Spoiler, mflaps, wheel well trim, dark dark tint, nose mask, lead foot
Old 02-23-2001, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

I took mine off too. The front plate makes our cls's sharp pointe bumper dull. Take it off!!!!
Old 02-23-2001, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

I took mine off too. The front plate makes our cls's sharp pointe bumper dull. Take it off!!!!
Old 02-23-2001, 12:21 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I get one, it will be ordered WITHOUT a front plate holder. None of that crap for me after seeing how badly it ruins the looks of the front of my dad's '97 Z28.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:54 AM
My other car is a 350Z

I bought my CL-S in early December. I took the front plate off about 2 weeks after I bought the car when I stopped and looked around at how many cars in my area don't have front plates. I leave it in the trunk, just in case I get stopped and cited by the law.

------------------
001 Satin Silver CL-S / PIAA 19169

"Never underestimate the power of a dark CLown!" - Darph Bobo
Old 02-23-2001, 01:54 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

actually the front plate saved my car from damage...

My cls was going thru the car wash, and the careless attendant didn't move the car infront of my cls away in time, my cls bumped into that red accord... if it weren't for the front license and the frame, there probably would'be been dents and scraches...

just of the record, that red accord was scrachless as well...

so i might be the only one, but i am keeping the front license plate... besides the cops NY have their eyes on them too.

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
1000+ miles now and climbing
Old 02-23-2001, 07:28 AM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I took mine off, but to my surprise the dam dealership had drilled 2 big ass holes in my bumper. So I have to leave it on cuz those holes are huge and they look nasty. plus its 'illegal' to drive in VA w/o front plates.

Anyone know of a way to patch up the holes? or do I have to get a new bumper?
Old 02-23-2001, 07:56 AM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acura S:
no holes were drilled for my plate on the front, bracket mounts underneath....I hate the plate as much or more than anybody, but I don't wanna deal with the DC or Baltimore police if you know what I mean....I sure as hell don't wanna give em a reason to fine me for my tint

</font>
Do some cars come with different brackets? I thought they all had holes.

Old 02-23-2001, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

No holes in my bumper. A bracket that attaches unobtrusively from below holds my no-such-thing-as-a-refund-found-here-in-NJ license plate.

What do you mean refund? Yeah right, in NJ!

Go ahead take them off. As for me who needs the worrying every single time I pass a cop about whether or not he will yank/delay/ticket me for something stupid like no plate.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-23-2001, 08:55 AM
Instructor

It's not "refundable" it's a "fix-up" ticket that they give you.
You come over to the court room and show them that the license plate is installed. They charge you around $10 - $15 for the visit and papers and let you go.
No points, no records.

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Wait! It's not butter!?
Old 02-23-2001, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

do u have the option of brackets or holes in NJ for the license plates?
Old 02-23-2001, 01:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

no front tag is like a $44 ticket here... totally non-refundable, and totally not a fix-it ticket...
either way, i refuse to drive my CL w/o a front plate.

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
Old 02-23-2001, 11:30 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,191 Likes on 693 Posts
I always hated my front plate in jersey so when i moved to florida i was happy i could take it off and figured it won't leave anyholes since it was mounted under the bumper with a bracket. Well the bumper would have been fine if the dealership didnt use giant pointy screws to attach the plate to the bracket making them go thru the bumper.

------------------
'97 CL with custom scratches thanks to my mom's "wonderful" cats