synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synthetics

I hope i don't get bashed for this, here goes.. I did a search on this topic already, but still have not gotten a satisfactory answer.

I will be going to get an oil change and getting a K & N Air filter for my car in about 2 days and I was thinking of getting mobil 1. But from the search i've done, i'm getting everything from people changing from a range of 3740 - 10k miles for mobil 1. So now i really don't know what to do. I asked the guy at the shop(EZ lube) how often you need to change synthetics, he told me every 3000 miles. Now if that is the case then its more economical to just stick with regular oil cuz i don't wanna shell out $50 each time to get a mobil 1 oil change. Now I do a lot of highway driving, mostly highway driving cuz of school, and i have low mileage right now 24k miles.

So should i just stick with regular oil then?
Old 10-26-2004, 03:59 AM
Advanced

I"ve heard that Synth. Oil should olny be used on high mileage engines. I used full syn. on my old accord and it ran fine. My brother used regular on his accord and ran the same if not better both same year and same mileage.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andyjl
I hope i don't get bashed for this, here goes.. I did a search on this topic already, but still have not gotten a satisfactory answer.

I will be going to get an oil change and getting a K & N Air filter for my car in about 2 days and I was thinking of getting mobil 1. But from the search i've done, i'm getting everything from people changing from a range of 3740 - 10k miles for mobil 1. So now i really don't know what to do. I asked the guy at the shop(EZ lube) how often you need to change synthetics, he told me every 3000 miles. Now if that is the case then its more economical to just stick with regular oil cuz i don't wanna shell out $50 each time to get a mobil 1 oil change. Now I do a lot of highway driving, mostly highway driving cuz of school, and i have low mileage right now 24k miles.

So should i just stick with regular oil then?
A synthetic oil change will cost you $50, thats nuts. I change the oil myself, so that is how I justify spending the extra money to buy Mobil 1. If you are going to get your oil changed every 3000 miles religiously, stick with regular oil.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go by the book, using a synthetic does not change your oil interval per the manufacturer.

If you follow conventional wisdom though, you can extend the intervals beyond if you do so in a logical manner and consider oil analysis. Don't forget to change your filter too.

There are numerous threads on this subject and your find a full range of answers. Use the search button. Unfortunately, you'll find no one correct answer, except the one in the manual.

I change my oil every six months regardless of mileage.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

oil changing does not void warranty,, failed oil does,,,, amsoil synthetic lasts over 10k as proven by me with analysis,,, no you don't void the warranty by going 10k on synthetic,, the dealer has to prove the oil caused a failure by lab analysis NOT by how many times you payed him to change your oil,,, mobil1 sucks for extended drain intervals but is fine for 3-4 k changes.

yes these tests are published by Amsoil,,, they are run by independent labs and the other manufactures (including mobil) didn't protest the findings.

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetes..._vs_mobil1.htm

the tbn number should be 12 or higher for good syn note mobil always tests in the 8’s petrol oil is 7’s

there’s more if needed,, yes I do sell Amsoil out of my trunk,, wholesale ,,, I have a real job..
Old 10-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by fender4
oil changing does not void warranty,, failed oil does,,,, amsoil synthetic lasts over 10k as proven by me with analysis,,, no you don't void the warranty by going 10k on synthetic,, the dealer has to prove the oil caused a failure by lab analysis NOT by how many times you payed him to change your oil,,, mobil1 sucks for extended drain intervals but is fine for 3-4 k changes.

yes these tests are published by Amsoil,,, they are run by independent labs and the other manufactures (including mobil) didn't protest the findings.

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetes..._vs_mobil1.htm

the tbn number should be 12 or higher for good syn note mobil always tests in the 8’s petrol oil is 7’s

there’s more if needed,, yes I do sell Amsoil out of my trunk,, wholesale ,,, I have a real job..
How much??
Old 10-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JaredGMS
How much??
see pm,, I don't use this board to hawk products..
Old 10-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
FWIW, I switched to synthetic on the first oil change, and have been using it since. I go about 7-9k miles between drains since I do mostly highway miles (about 80%).

Redline 5w-20
Amsoil filter (oversized)
Old 10-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I've been changing my oil every 5k w/ full synthetic. 5k miles ago my blower went on, and today my car is in the shop getting the HBP and new plugs put in. They checked the oil and it was down *2.5* quarts. Ben recommended going back to a durablend for a while, because FI cars will use a fair amount of synthetic oil under frequent track/hard driving conditions.

Anyone other FI CL's experience that much oil being used?
Old 10-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by derelict
I've been changing my oil every 5k w/ full synthetic. 5k miles ago my blower went on, and today my car is in the shop getting the HBP and new plugs put in. They checked the oil and it was down *2.5* quarts. Ben recommended going back to a durablend for a while, because FI cars will use a fair amount of synthetic oil under frequent track/hard driving conditions.

Anyone other FI CL's experience that much oil being used?
That's a lot of oil used,,, after how many miles ???

Anyway for track applications most race teams use this or a similar Redline product

http://www.amsoil.com/products/aro.htm

I would suspect there are other issues causing this amount of oil being used.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the oil changed the same time the blower was put on.... so 5k miles.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.5 quarts is a lot of consumption for 5K miles. Some would say to follow this for a while, but if this was me, and I am running the car under boost, I'd get a compression test and make sure my engine is OK before putting on the high boost pully.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Slimey
2.5 quarts is a lot of consumption for 5K miles. Some would say to follow this for a while, but if this was me, and I am running the car under boost, I'd get a compression test and make sure my engine is OK before putting on the high boost pully.
Oil consumption or compression test would be good. Same problem was happening to my VW, it was burning 1 quart every 1 K , engine was replaced under warranty.