from syntheic back to regular motor oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from syntheic back to regular motor oil ?

I started using castrol syn oil because I had a s/c and thought the car would run better but now I have put my car back to stock with a cai and wanted to know if I can go back to using regular motor oil. will this hurt or effect my car or will I have to continue to use the syn oil. I dont see the benfit of syn oil and the price is to high because I change my oil every 2500 miles and with the syn oil it cost me like $30 with filter vs. $12 with filter for the regular oil.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: from syntheic back to regular motor oil ?

Originally posted by 916CL
I started using castrol syn oil because I had a s/c and thought the car would run better but now I have put my car back to stock with a cai and wanted to know if I can go back to using regular motor oil. will this hurt or effect my car or will I have to continue to use the syn oil. I dont see the benfit of syn oil and the price is to high because I change my oil every 2500 miles and with the syn oil it cost me like $30 with filter vs. $12 with filter for the regular oil.
There is no problem going back to dino.

Why are you changing every 2500 if you're using syn? There's no sense to that.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts

Depending on your driving conditions and type of oil filter you are using - you can probably run synthetics to 5K-6K miles.
BTW, castrol syn. is probably the worst synthetics. You should go with Mobil 1.

I also feel that synthetics are waste of money unless you plan to drive your car beyond 100K miles. If you plan to sell it before 100K miles - I would not waste my money.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

There are basic oil analyzer kits out there that will prove to yourself you can use Mobil1 or Amsoil for well over 10k miles with a good filter changed at 5k miles. At 10k miles my analyzed results are very close to brand new petro oil.... If you change at 2.5k yes it would be expensive. But at 10k changes I spend $52.50. You spend $60. There are other benifits to using a PAO based oil (SYN) like heat removal on bearing surfaces and less friction. Some engines after 200k miles show very little wear. BUT I agree with "Comrad" above if you plan to sell before 100k let the next owner worry about his used car. Some of us just want the BEST science has to offer.

see here,, Castrol specs aren't the better of true Syn oils...

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html
Old 11-06-2003, 06:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You have been throwing away lots of $$$$$ over the years. Why? 2500 miles that's unheared of, Synthetic can run from 5k to 10k with no problems. I change at 7k normally.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally posted by fender4
BUT I agree with "Comrad" above if you plan to sell before 100k let the next owner worry about his used car. Some of us just want the BEST science has to offer.

see here,, Castrol specs aren't the better of true Syn oils...

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html
The only reason I am using synthetics is because I plan to drive it till 200K miles ( transmission will be dead before the engine )

However, even if you are planning to sell your car before 100K it might be a good idea to use synehtics and change it offten. If you get car enthusiast buyer, he will greatly appreciate all the receits for synthetic oil and good filter... but otherwise it does not matter... especially if you trade in your car at the dealer... they don't give a sh*t....
Old 11-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Yeah it no problem. It a myth that u go back to dino u have problems just like if u go to synethics from dino u have problems.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by russianDude
[B]The only reason I am using synthetics is because I plan to drive it till 200K miles ( transmission will be dead before the engine )

Hey maybe you can extend the trans life also,, I use
this (see site below), I have 56k on orginal trans and just switched to syn trans oil. BUT if my trans is going to go I hope it's before 100k.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Old 11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
If you consider your car a daily beater and don't care about max performance and life if the engine (plugs, valves, etc) sure you can switch back.

On the other hand, if you are a gearhead and love max performance and such . . . why? Just cut back on the frequency of your oil changes. 7,500 to 10k is sufficient for most driving conditions. You can change your filter every 5k and add a little oil and do a complete change at 10k even.

Based on your frequency I would guess that you run your car hard and even race it at the track. That or towing would be some of the reasons to want to change it that soon.

Shoot, that's cheap compared to what I pay and I change mine 2x a year, and sometimes before a race meet.

Ruf

NEO 5w-30 $10qt that includes T&SH
Old 11-06-2003, 02:21 PM
2ManyMiles

What's the facts/myths about going from regular to synth oil? Any problems there? I was thinking about switching, as I'm gonna keep my CL-S till 200k.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well personally if youre already synth id stay synth.

regular oil will build up mineral deposits in your engine as time passes.

id switch to synth in my car but its got 125k miles and its used regular oil this whole time, that if i go synth ill make all the mineral deposits break loose and gunk my engine up.. and possibly open any seal leaks that the mineral deposits were clogging up.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:29 PM
2ManyMiles

Hmmm... I've got 77k on my '01 CL-S, and have used regular oil the whole time. What's the group concensus regarding my situation for switching? Not to off-topic this thread or anything...
Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by SilviaGTO

id switch to synth in my car but its got 125k miles and its used regular oil this whole time, that if i go synth ill make all the mineral deposits break loose and gunk my engine up.. and possibly open any seal leaks that the mineral deposits were clogging up.
My friends theory to not have this problem is to do half synethics first and change the oil a bit early first couple of times when u switch to full synthenics.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SilviaGTO

modern seals and gaskets don't pin hole . I have found leaks coming from or due to loose valve cover bolts and pan bolts. The deposits from petro oil will end up in your filter. Change that more often after first switching over,, after that there won't be any problems.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Instructor

I change my oil every 2500 miles because I like to do it, I go over to my friends house and we just hang out and talk about car while we change the oil. I think the car feels smoother to me after I change the oil< I even think the car feels smooth after I wassh the car as, LOL Its just the way I think
Old 11-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Instructor

another ?
see here,, Castrol specs aren't the better of true Syn oils

If castrol isnt good what would be the best brand for the money,
nothing outrageouse like $15 a qt
Old 11-07-2003, 03:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Look at the spec sheet for 5w30,,, mobil1 and amsoil are at the top of the list... I use Amsoil because they market /research and sell the oil as a extended drain interval,,, Redline is also good but I havn't seen test results from extended drain intervals. Mobil1 has 40 years supply of petro oil in the ground so they need people to keep changing oil every 3k.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I even think the car feels smooth after I wassh the car as, LOL Its just the way I think
You too?

My car is always a good 5mph faster and much smoother after a good wash.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:39 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Look at the spec sheet for 5w30,,, mobil1 and amsoil are at the top of the list... I use Amsoil because they market /research and sell the oil as a extended drain interval,,, Redline is also good but I havn't seen test results from extended drain intervals. Mobil1 has 40 years supply of petro oil in the ground so they need people to keep changing oil every 3k.
I can't believe you of all people recommend Mobil1.

My analysis showed 3X more wear compared to AMSOIL (in my car FWIW). And the Mobil1 was in BAD shape at 7500 miles with a new filter and 1/2 quart oil done at 3750.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Bluto
I can't believe you of all people recommend Mobil1.

My analysis showed 3X more wear compared to AMSOIL (in my car FWIW). And the Mobil1 was in BAD shape at 7500 miles with a new filter and 1/2 quart oil done at 3750.
I have seen various test results and for this member changing at 2.5k if he doubled or tripled his interval to 7.5k he will be ok.. Most true syn have a new TBN number of 11-13 some mobil1 tests were at 8,, this has me concerned that they vary the manufaturing process to up profits. I have told members to use Amsoil but I have received so much fallout that I just try to be unbiased. Having a Amsoil Dealer card so I can buy wholesale has put me into BIASED position by default. I still recommend doing oil analysis and proving to oneself that for your car and driving habits extended drain interval works,, also use Amsoil and their filter.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:58 PM
Instructor

I have seen this brand called royal purple , are they any good
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have seen this brand called royal purple , are they any good
I'v not seen any test data... go to www.amsoil.com They have a dealer locator or just order on line and have it delivered
Old 11-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

I'v not seen any test data... go to www.amsoil.com They have a dealer locator or just order on line and have it delivered
I heard from lots of people amsoil is nice and works well, the only problem is that it is a pain in the ass to fine if like one day u want to go change ur oil. It not normally carried in large chain stores or automotive shops.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:06 PM
///M POWER

y are u taking your mods out??
Old 11-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fusionnv
I heard from lots of people amsoil is nice and works well, the only problem is that it is a pain in the ass to fine if like one day u want to go change ur oil. It not normally carried in large chain stores or automotive shops.
Once you have a dealer near you it becomes a lot easier,, you just call him and pick it up .. These guys are all over the place,,, or become a dealer yourself,,, Your right it requires a little more effort than just going down to the corner store. But if you want the best it a very small price to pay. There are retail outlets in some areas.. I keep a couple a cases in the garage and extra filters. For me it a one time of year purchase. But I am always going to the warehouse to pick up orders for others.