SVT Contour Vs 97 3.0 cl?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 09:09 PM
I R 1337?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SVT Contour Vs 97 3.0 cl?

What do you think ...my friend just got his svt contour (i hate them) and he wants to race.. all i got is basically intake and a ,muffler..(a bit lighter...) what are my chances
Old 09-14-2003, 09:12 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love threads like this...

"I have a squirrel in my hood and it's on steroids! Do you guys think I'll beat my cousin's 10 speed huffy?"
Why do you hate SVT Contours? What did it ever do to you?

Race him and let us know what happens. Until then it's just all magazine racing.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Instructor

svt contour

my dad had the last year contour svt 00'. i've driven it a few times. i know just about every thing there is to know about that car because i almost bought it off him. 200 hp 168 ft lbs of tq 5spd man. 3200lbs .we went to pomona when they had the street legal drags. he couldn't break 16 seconds to save his life. his best time was 16.01@93mph. it was about 95 degrees out 40% hum +/-. those cars are supposed to do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and 15.5 in the quarter. i didn't run it, i was racing my stang that day. but from 3rd gear on that car booogies it does 143mph according to the svt cert. what it lacks in power it makes up for with handling.
i could not believe how well it handled for a stock car.
my dad traded it in for an 01 mustang gt auto. first thing he said when he brought home his stang was " i wish it handled half as good as the contour"...... i personally think from a light you would take him. contours suffer from wheel hop pretty bad.
i don't know what the specs are for the 97' cl's but i know it's the same engine that's in the accord. the 3.0 in the cl has the torque advantage. the contours 2.5 v6 has to be at 3500 rpm before it motivates. from 65mph & up it would be close.

03' cl-s 6spd/navi taffeta wht./fact. chrome 17's (drop in K&N)
03' tl-s pearl wht/fact spoiler (wifes car)
Old 09-16-2003, 04:31 PM
I R 1337?

i dont know, i just never liked the idea of buying them with factory body kits, takes out the fun and exitement of moding a car...espesh when your mommy and daddy buys you everything...
Old 09-16-2003, 06:14 PM
3rd Gear

hey. don't hate on the svt contour. it got/gets hated on enough by the company that made them. anyway, i own a 99 csvt. my buddy told me about this thread and figured i'd be able to shead some light. i did some searching and found that the mag numbers (i know, they don't mean much) show that your CL have similar numbers to a regular tour v6 mtx. but...if you know anything about tours, they have some issues. there are a lot of minor issues with this car that can cause some serious performance problem. and like said above, they are hard to launch (wheel hop is killer). i've seen slips for stock csvt's that are running anywhere from 15.1 up to 16.2. there are a lot of veriables that have to do with drag racing as i'm sure you all know. so just get out there, line em up and see how it goes. but the csvt's aren't easy cars to drag race so your buddy better be a pretty good driver, he might just loose if he's not. just be carefull cause there are actually a lot of tours (not just svt's) runnin around with 3.0 swaps and turbos. some with both. head on over to www.contour.org if you want any more info before you head out to take him on. you'll find all sorts of dirt on that car so you can bust his balls...hehe. but i wouldn't challenge him through the twisties. these cars hug the road very well out of the box. anyway, go out, have fun (at the track of course), and see what your buddy is made of.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:29 PM
I R 1337?

well yea...my story is diff tho, my friend is 16 or 17 and his parents just bought him a svt and its all stock, every last bit, no mods at all...and hes just talkin trash...and i hear good things about them and i also hear lots of bad.. so im not sure...im gonna have to race ihm and let you all know what happens...
Old 09-16-2003, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear

my guess with him being a new, inexperienced driver, he's gonna mess up the launches time and time again. also, tell him that wheel hop is BAD. especially in the contour cause our differentials aren't very strong. many have launched at high rpm's, had crazy wheel hop and destroyed the differential. i'd hate to see your buddy ruin a great car. i'll tell ya, i've owned 3 5 liter stangs and the csvt is a lot more fun to drive. yes they don't take to mods as well as the stang, but it builds power all the way to the red line and is a great car to throw around in the turns.....oh and tell your friend about the contour website i supplied in my post above. these cars can be very quirky and a pain in the arse if you don't know how to take care of it. the site will save him a lot of time and money down the stretch.

i forgot to say that my buddy has a 03 cls 6spd. i must say you guys have great cars. he's yet to let me drive it but riding along it feels like a blast.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:02 PM
I R 1337?

alrighty, thanks for the info, ill have to chat it up with him, you've been very helpful
Old 09-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jshimer23
my guess with him being a new, inexperienced driver, he's gonna mess up the launches time and time again. also, tell him that wheel hop is BAD. especially in the contour cause our differentials aren't very strong. many have launched at high rpm's, had crazy wheel hop and destroyed the differential. i'd hate to see your buddy ruin a great car. i'll tell ya, i've owned 3 5 liter stangs and the csvt is a lot more fun to drive. yes they don't take to mods as well as the stang, but it builds power all the way to the red line and is a great car to throw around in the turns.....oh and tell your friend about the contour website i supplied in my post above. these cars can be very quirky and a pain in the arse if you don't know how to take care of it. the site will save him a lot of time and money down the stretch.

i forgot to say that my buddy has a 03 cls 6spd. i must say you guys have great cars. he's yet to let me drive it but riding along it feels like a blast.
here's another site www.shoshop.com.
they have tons of goodies for those cars
Old 09-16-2003, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

shoshop is good but some say slow service. check out www.batinc.net , www.spmotorsports.com , www.ctamotorsports.com . there are quite a few others. although our aftermarket isn't all that great, a lot of things have to be custom done.

i help when i can. contours (yes, even non svt's) don't get much credit at all. they are the red headed step child of Ford. no love.

but as i said before. as far as this race (CSVT vs 97 CL 3.0) the little ford should take ya unless he's a bad driver. you having an auto doesn't help ya. from a roll he should take ya pretty easily. he's not gonna smoke you, but he should walk away from you. please give it a go with him. i'm iching to find out how you do.

good luck and be safe.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:52 PM
I R 1337?

well by the time i race him prolly ill have more mods (headers possibly) and i really really want zex so we'll have to see