Suspicious???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 07:58 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspicious???

ever wonder what the mechanics are thinking when they notice all our mods??? ever since i started taking my baby in for service, i've often wondered if they get a kick out of it, if they get pissed, whatever...and i get a bit nervous cuz u never know what happens when your car's in their garage...i would hope they wouldn't service the car any less...here's a better illustration...i ALWAYS wash and Zaino the car before going in for service for the simple reason that i want to show them that i care about the car very much and want to keep it in tip top shape...and i politely tell my service manager to check for a few things here and there (it's obvious im anal bout my car)...now my fear is that they'll think i'm an arrogant snob and do stuff to my car just for their pleasure...yes, im paranoid, but my '93 Infiniti G20 is proof enough that people don't give a crap bout the lengths people go through to maintain a car (countless failures of solving problems after they lied and said they did, physically damaging parts of the car with tools, etc., yet they were rated TOP service dep't in the country - go figure)...when we used to have our '85 Mercedes station wagon, there was a window overlooking the entire garage so u can watch them work on your car...THAT was cool!! if Acura had that, i'd b glued to the window the entire time

anyways, i was just curious to c if any of u guys show the same concerns i do every time the car needs servicing.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:14 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always. I have yet to go to a place where I completely trust the mechanics. I don't think i've had a bad experience per say but just that I'm not a mechanic and don't know if they are telling the truth etc.,
Old 10-26-2001, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i always feel that way when i'm having my car serviced. that why the things i can do myself, i try not to be lazy and do them myself. but there are jsut some things that need to be done by the dealer's svc dept. and whenever i bring it in, i always try and take a peek inside their garage to see what they're doing. i know they think i'm freakin paranoid....sometimes i get embarrased.....most of the time, i don't give a shit. it's my car, i'm paying for it, i care for it....so let me watch in peace.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:00 AM
Blue Devil

Re: Suspicious???

Originally posted by Scooter
when we used to have our '85 Mercedes station wagon, there was a window overlooking the entire garage so u can watch them work on your car...THAT was cool!! if Acura had that, i'd b glued to the window the entire time
Scooter,

Thats what I like about my dealership. The service department has been awesome so far in my opinion. When my car is getting serviced they let me walk out into the garage and watch them working on it and actually talk to the mechanics that are doing the work. Obviously I have to stay within certain areas so I'm not in any danger but it's still pretty damn close and much better then waiting nervously and impatiently in the lobby/waiting area, though they do have incredibly comfy leather couchs.

Brenden
Old 10-26-2001, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

There is a new chain of garages in Houston called Joe's Auto. They actually let you see your car while it is being worked on via web cam. Maybe this idea will catch on and spread to dealers. The link is http://www.joeauto.com/LiveImages/WebCamWestheimer.asp
Old 10-26-2001, 10:27 AM
6SPDCLS

One time, I brought my CLS into the dealer for a 15k tune-up. I didn't have a loaner car so I walked across the street to the mall...but I decided to come back earlier than the 3 hours they promised.

I saw 2 mechanics eating lunch in my car while another mechanic was sitting on my hood eating a slice of pizza. All three cans of soda were sitting on the roof while they were enjoying their meals!

Just kidding about all that...I think the mechanics would get in trouble if they were to mess with customers cars. There are some degree of quality service within each dealership. Of course, this is ACURA and not some beat up Hyundai dealer...
Old 10-26-2001, 10:55 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS

I saw 2 mechanics eating lunch in my car while another mechanic was sitting on my hood eating a slice of pizza. All three cans of soda were sitting on the roof while they were enjoying their meals!

funny u should mention that...b/c one time i saw 2 mechanics having coffee and donuts next to the Mercedes for a half hour, and i watched it, timed it, and made sure to show the service manager...he quickly ran downstairs and told them to hop to it...needless to say, the service was free.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:07 PM
Lucky Kid Member

I have become friends with one of the mechanics at Gettel Toyota here in sarasota. He doesnt mind if im back there talking to him while hes working on my car. He will even check stuff i forget to tell them without making me make another appointment!! I always tell them i want him working on my car.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:09 PM
6SPDCLS

Too bad we can't have mechanics service us like we do hair stylists..

I usually just make an appointment with my favorite hair stylist instead of having some newbie do my hair..

If only we can request the same from mechanics...

Originally posted by jdtypeS
I have become friends with one of the mechanics at Gettel Toyota here in sarasota. He doesnt mind if im back there talking to him while hes working on my car. He will even check stuff i forget to tell them without making me make another appointment!! I always tell them i want him working on my car.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Too bad we can't have mechanics service us like we do hair stylists..

I usually just make an appointment with my favorite hair stylist instead of having some newbie do my hair..

If only we can request the same from mechanics...

Don't know why not. If its something major I just tell the service writer to have Jens work on my car. I'll then peak into the bay area and sure enough there he is. Fact is Jens suggested I do this.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:23 PM
6SPDCLS

The thing is that it's so much easier to know your hair stylist...there are few people like Jens...and especially one that is that willing to help.

I tried to walk into my local dealership and to scope out the mechanics..but they don't let me...kinda like, "keep outta the kitchen" policy.

sux...

Originally posted by Al Uminum

Don't know why not. If its something major I just tell the service writer to have Jens work on my car. I'll then peak into the bay area and sure enough there he is. Fact is Jens suggested I do this.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:33 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

I think it also kinda depends on the other type of customers that they get on a regular basis..

in my area.. there are quite a few old rich ladies who take their First Gen CL, and 2nd Gen TL to get serviced..

They are alright, but far from great..

Actually, I took my car in to get the center console latch fixed this morning...
For some reason they though it would be neccasary to remove my CDs from the console area.. but they neglected to put all of them back... as well as forgetting to put the foam matting at the bottom back in.. WTF? So I complained to the service guy, but they couldn't find the mat.. they had to order me a new one!! now whenever I go over a bump, my CDs bounce in there and rattle..

But anyway.. what I'm saying is that mods or no mods, to some of the dealerships, you are a faceless customer.. I doubt that any of us actually have met or even see the person who does the work on the car..
Old 10-26-2001, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

The thing is that it's so much easier to know your hair stylist...there are few people like Jens...and especially one that is that willing to help.

I tried to walk into my local dealership and to scope out the mechanics..but they don't let me...kinda like, "keep outta the kitchen" policy.

sux...

Perhaps they were just thinking of your safety (hehehehe) with the laser tools, nuclear reactions, and spores they are working on.

Tell them you'll bring a hard-hat, biohazard suite, Kevlar coat, and coated goggles.

Hmmm...

One day, I want to look in the mechanic's bay and it's "No way -- ever". On another trip to this same dealer (multi car vendor shop), they have me running back and forth THROUGH the very same "off-limits" shop trying to get a busted-up POS lease car going -- go figure...
Old 10-26-2001, 05:41 PM
www.drippinwet.com

we have an open door policy, if a customer wants to request a particular technician, they may do so, also if they want to watch the car while its being serviced, they may do so, alot of people will roadtest with a technician or speak to them in the office about the repairs, i think things like that keep us on top of csi for acura (6th in the nation this month)

get to know your technicians, esp on noises ALWAYS request a roadtest for fix it right the first time
Old 10-26-2001, 05:43 PM
www.drippinwet.com

p.s i think most techs are just like us, they like some mods, but they probably make fun of "ricey" mods like we do on the board
the acura service advisor and lead tech from the dealer i work for read threads on the board all the time, i don't think they post anything though (i'll have to work on that)

also our district service rep visits this board as well
Old 10-26-2001, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acura_service
we have an open door policy, if a customer wants to request a particular technician, they may do so, also if they want to watch the car while its being serviced, they may do so, alot of people will roadtest with a technician or speak to them in the office about the repairs, i think things like that keep us on top of csi for acura (6th in the nation this month)

get to know your technicians, esp on noises ALWAYS request a roadtest for fix it right the first time

Your company's "open door policy" is commendable and it would be nice if more allowed a "look-see". I get to do this at my corner gas station (for minor work) and I have never had a problem and the guys like to tech talk, do great work, and I return the favor with BIG tips.

RE: I guess I'll have to find a dealer that will even let me "know" the mechanic/technician -- I think this is something that would help everyone here. If all of us could know who worked on the car, and get to know the people that do great work, everyone would benefit…