Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 02:26 PM
2001 Black CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Question

I was reading through the FAQ (VERY informative) and noticed that the Koni "yellows" do not allow you to lower you car. I also noticed that it's recommended you change your shocks if you change your springs. OK, question is...what shock should I use/change to if I want to change my springs hence lowering my car?

Originally, I was planning on the Eibach "pro kit" (cuz I am sticking with 17" wheels and I want less wheel gap than the Comptechs; although I would rather have the comptech spring) and Koni "yellows". Additionally, I was planning on the Sways and STB.

Appreciate the help!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro

Re: Suspension Question

Originally posted by Jbusiness
I was reading through the FAQ (VERY informative) and noticed that the Koni "yellows" do not allow you to lower you car. I also noticed that it's recommended you change your shocks if you change your springs. OK, question is...what shock should I use/change to if I want to change my springs hence lowering my car?

Originally, I was planning on the Eibach "pro kit" (cuz I am sticking with 17" wheels and I want less wheel gap than the Comptechs; although I would rather have the comptech spring) and Koni "yellows". Additionally, I was planning on the Sways and STB.

Appreciate the help!
For similar pricing, I would recommend a set of coilovers. You can achieve a lowering height with near stock ride. The Apexi N1 World Sports can be had for under $1000. Check out www.autocarparts.com .
Old 07-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Instructor

No, you CAN lower your car with Koni Yellows. Mine have two ride height settings: Upper (factory) and lower.
Here are your options with Koni Yellows:
Use your Koni Yellows on Upper perch and the new lowering springs. This will lower your ride height by whatever the springs say they will (1", 1.5" for example). This is what most people do.
Use your Koni Yellows on Lower perch with the factory springs. This approach really isn't recommended, but you could do it if you didn't want to buy new springs. On my Konis, the ride height can be lowered 7/16" in the front and 1" in the back with the lower perch setting on the Konis.
If you have the approx $600 for the Konis, get them. I love mine. The adjustable ride quality is worth it to me, plus they have a lifetime warantee.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:29 PM
2001 Black CL-S

Frank,

I appreciate the feedback. I was beginning to think no one would reply. You mention "stock feel"...what if I want a firmer, more aggresive feel? Would the coil-overs still be my only option. I notice most of the people on the board have the comptech springs with no mention of a shock upgrade but the FAQ suggests you change both. Any idea why?
Old 07-18-2002, 03:32 PM
2001 Black CL-S

MLRSPWR,

that was exactly what I needed. Appresh!!
Old 07-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Pro

Frank,

I appreciate the feedback. I was beginning to think no one would reply. You mention "stock feel"...what if I want a firmer, more aggresive feel? Would the coil-overs still be my only option. I notice most of the people on the board have the comptech springs with no mention of a shock upgrade but the FAQ suggests you change both. Any idea why?
JBusiness,

You want firmer? No problem! The coilovers are adjustable for rebound, like the Konis. Other brands of coilovers can also be adjusted for damping as well.

As for the shock upgrade, it's recommended due to the fact that in general, aftermarket springs will be firmer than stock ones, thus adding more stress to the stock shocks during everyday driving, as well as spirited driving. This will eventually wear out the stock shocks quicker than the stock springs. Another benefit with aftermarket shocks going along with performance springs is that they can handle the increased stiffness of the springs, thus allowing for better response from the set up. The Comptech springs are not as stiff as some of the aftermarket ones out there, thus stock shock should suffice for a while. This is a very simplified explanation. I'm sure others will chime in to give you a more detailed version....ERICL where are you .
Old 07-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Depending on driving habbits, road conditions, etc. the stock shocks will last for about 50K miles or so with the Comptech's (from what I've been told). So I didn't go with an aftermarket shock when I did my Spring install because I wanted to keep the ride as near stock as possible, and 50K is a good while before I have to change anything.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:00 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Suspension Question

Appreciate the help!

What i've noticed about the Comptech/Koni Yellow setup that i have is that the Comptechs lower the car but not so much that you're afraid of speed bumps, and the Konis are absolutely incredible matched up with my 40 series Toyos. Handling is so much better it's unbelievable. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:36 AM
2001 Black CL-S

Reading through some more of the posts i noticed that member fbazakos used the upper perch setting for his koni's and springs and the pix look like his ride height is the same as stock. I thought if you use the upper perch the car is lowered by the amount of the spring. Also, will the lower perch setting void the warranty on the shock and can you use lowering springs and the koni's on the lower perch? What are the drawbacks/advantages to the different perch settings? in the long run are coilovers a better option and if so can someone recommend a good set?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Instructor

I always wondered about that pict myself. It didn't look lowered at all.
I have the Konis on upper perch and HR OEs in the front and CTs in the back and got 1" lower in the back and 1.25" lower in the front. I love the look!
So I can tell you personally that for me the upper perch and lowering springs had exactly the desired effect.
I have heard often (but not read in a legal doc) that lowered springs and koni lower perch voids the Koni warantee.
One guy (I don't remember which user) did Konis on the lower perch with lowering springs and he had one darn low CL. Do a search on this site for "lower perch" and you'll find more info. That's how I got my info before I got the Konis.
I don't have any experience on coilovers, so I really can't comment.
I have my Konis set to 1/2 turn (approx 50% stiffer than stock) and the car feels a lot more like a go kart now. Some people will bitch about the ride quality over bumps and dips, but let them buy a Cadillac. The CL front seat is so supportive and comfortable, that the extra feedback you are receiving from your stiffened suspension does not translate into an uncomfortable ride or driving experience.
I think that the ride is a LOT more fun now. Okay, so I feel dips -- so what when your car launches from a stop like a rocket (minimized front to back lean) and you hang corners like a car 500 lbs lighter and a few feet shorter.
Plus the car looks like hot shxt with 18s and a drop. The suspension and wheels was the best money I could have spent.