Supercharger Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome back steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like everything's good with the family. Congradulations!

Here are the dyno results with and without IMRC. http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...t=7&thecat=500
Check out the dip at 3800 rpm with IMRC on. At 4200 rpm, without IMRC, it crosses over and goes from gains, to slight losses, then from 5800 up it's almost identical. I picked up almost a full pound of boost at the top, to 7.5 psi w/o IMRC, so apparently it flows better open.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Damn... I think I might unplug that HP sucker... but not till I install my boost gauge...

Brad I hope you get your headers soon... I am really surprised by those numbers... and you were running the 6 pounder too..right?

Smitty

P.S. Welcome back Pappy Steve, I hope all is well on the home front..
Old 08-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Nice numbers there, and without headers too!!!

From what I see the difference was negligible as there were variances in areas which wouldn't have been affected. What this does tell me is that there isn't any significant drop and provides the go ahead with the new manifold. And IMO, the new manifold should be more forced induction friendly possibly providing even better numbers over the stock unit.

I'll begin work on it right away as I do think I have an extra piece of 1 inch thick stock aluminum plating.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Smitty
Brad I hope you get your headers soon... I am really surprised by those numbers... and you were running the 6 pounder too..right?
Yes, that's with the high boost pulley. I'm not sure what a stock TL-S will dyno at, but I thought I read somewhere 195-200 hp, and 180-185 ft.lb. of torque. If that's the case then the gains are about right, at 240hp/220ft.lb. Then with the headers another 20-25 hp, which is about what the boost upgade is supposed to be. The auto tranny is a real parasite, but I needed the extra doors.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert
Nice numbers there, and without headers too!!!

From what I see the difference was negligible as there were variances in areas which wouldn't have been affected. What this does tell me is that there isn't any significant drop and provides the go ahead with the new manifold. And IMO, the new manifold should be more forced induction friendly possibly providing even better numbers over the stock unit.

I'll begin work on it right away as I do think I have an extra piece of 1 inch thick stock aluminum plating.
Make two!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

I was referring to the 14 HP you gained by unplugging it... I guess I will be the little ginuea pig for the 6-speed S/C guys..

I need to call and set appt for Dyno run... these damn people need to stop dying on me here... I am overloaded..

The exhaust cut out is coming together... I bought 2 of every component so I can build 2 Simulators... I have all the part numbers and everything.. Radioshack is suppose to deliver the components any day now... once I put it all together I will head to the dyno...

The exhaust guy is doing a CAD drawing of the Stainless flange and he has some type of software that shows air velocity, so he will know exactly what degree to set the flange at... ALL I have to do is get the sim. done and head to the dyno.. then we will know where the biggest gains of HP come from... I seriously doubt I will be able to fit it before the stock cat.. I think I will need to move the cat back maybe 6 inches.. no biggie...

Smitty
Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was referring to the 14 HP you gained by unplugging it...
That was at one point only, and I wouldnt count on being able to duplicate that.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Scalbert,..Did you ever hear anything back from Turbonics or Top End?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
Scalbert,..Did you ever hear anything back from Turbonics or Top End?
Just got an email from Top-End:

No problem to make this Intercooler for you...
2-231B with a tank on one side only. You fabricate the rest of it...$625.00 less the 1 tank...
5-7 days to make it....
No word from Turbonetics though. So it looks like I will need to make the main plenum myself and have it welded to the IC. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the EGR system but I do think I have a way to fake it. Otherwise I need to incorporate passages into the new plenum.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Come on Turbonetics... don't let us down...
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

No word from Turbonetics though. So it looks like I will need to make the main plenum myself and have it welded to the IC. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the EGR system but I do think I have a way to fake it. Otherwise I need to incorporate passages into the new plenum.
EGR huh,....do you have emisions inspections?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:23 AM
Suzuka Master

EGR huh,....do you have emisions inspections?
Yep, but the visual is insignificant and would not be an issue since the valve would be left in. I'm looking at it from more of a compliance standpoint.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm going to pull the upper manifold this weekend and verify the area available. With that along with the measurements available on the IC I will fabricate the new plenum which will take about a week; just in time to receive the new IC and get it welded up.

I would suspect that the new plenum should run about $250 - $350 with the provisions required to mount the IAT and MAP sensors. Add in the other minor items and it should come in around $1100 which is not too bad.

I know the list of people who want this are Me, Brad, Smitty and Eric so far. Do ya'll want to get everything made locally and purchase everything directly?? Or are ya'll wanting me to organize this as a single purchase??
Old 08-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to pull the upper manifold this weekend and verify the area available. With that along with the measurements available on the IC I will fabricate the new plenum which will take about a week; just in time to receive the new IC and get it welded up.

I would suspect that the new plenum should run about $250 - $350 with the provisions required to mount the IAT and MAP sensors. Add in the other minor items and it should come in around $1100 which is not too bad.

I know the list of people who want this are Me, Brad, Smitty and Eric so far. Do ya'll want to get everything made locally and purchase everything directly?? Or are ya'll wanting me to organize this as a single purchase??
If you are willing to to it for us also, I would definately have you duplicate what you're doing for me also. I would think the others would agree, but, I'm sure they will chime in. Funds to whomever, however, and whenever, as you direct, is no problem! I am ready and able. PLEASE count me in for sure.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Steve,

This IC setup will require maching of the upper plenum? or no? I want to add an IC to my SC and would prefer that you prepare everything as ModAddict said. I am just making sure that I could use this application with the direct port. Could we use this plenum still?

Thanks, Logan
Old 08-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Unfortunately no, that whole upper plenum is being replaced. The only thing remaining stock is the lower runners/injector base which is untouched in your direct port application. So none of that beautiful pipe bending could be used.

Everything outlined in Red below will be replaced:

Old 08-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

ya know... we broke up the tasks. So I agree with Brad.

I was under the impression that Steve was working on the Intake manifold & IC, Eric was working on the chip, I was working on the exhaust and Brad is working on 7.5 boost pulley & IC.

You know I am down for whatever... you guys get the first Simulators, flanges and dumps made.... around $220 total for 10-15 Hp...<--- but I am just guessing on that #.. it might be more or less... I am still awaiting parts before my dyno date is set...

Smitty
Old 08-15-2003, 04:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Brad is working on 7.5 boost pulley & IC.
Just FYI, to get even more boost, after the 6 lb pulley is installed (although I am only seeing 5 - 5.5 PSI max) it might be better to change the SC pulley.

Since we have already gone up a size on the alternator pulley, going even larger would require a new belt which might prove difficult. It also might cause tensioning issues. However, by going smaller on the SC pulley would put us back to almost the base configuration and using the standard belt.

Just a thought...

BTW, I'm going to start a separate IC thread as this one has gotten long and diverse.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just FYI, to get even more boost, after the 6 lb pulley is installed (although I am only seeing 5 - 5.5 PSI max) it might be better to change the SC pulley.

Since we have already gone up a size on the alternator pulley, going even larger would require a new belt which might prove difficult. It also might cause tensioning issues. However, by going smaller on the SC pulley would put us back to almost the base configuration and using the standard belt.

Just a thought...

BTW, I'm going to start a separate IC thread as this one has gotten long and diverse.
Steve I had a bit of trouble getting belt and tensioner on with your 6# pulley, and was getting a bit of slipping at the higher rpm's, causing a nasty vibration. When I got my pulley, I bought the next size up gatorback belt, #4040252, $10. It was readily available, easier to get on, and the tensioner seamed to have a better angle to keep it from slipping. It did the job just great, no slipping, no knocking, IMRC off, @ 7.5 PSI.

I also have been in touch with another pulley supplier that has a quick change pulley kit for eaton blowers that looks good, especially after changing mine four times. I will pursue that direction also. I'm pretty sure the jack-shaft assembly is a standard piece from Eaton, so that end should be easy also. We just need to get him one of ours to take a quick look at it. http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/...ucts_frame.htm (click on "pulley Systems", then the top item to see the interchangable kit). I think this company will be a better choice for us than Payn Tech, for our pulley needs, wether it be the stepper or the blower pullies.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

So who is going take off their SC pulley and send it in.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking I might start with pictures so they can see the Jack shaft and pulley set-up. I'm hoping it's a standard Eaton set-up and all he might need is the pulley diameter. The pics I will take and forward this weekend. If he needs the actual pulley,..... well,....we'll see.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Let me know if you need me to mic the shaft.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 08-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Oh...Behave!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So who is going take off their SC pulley and send it in.
May need "special puller"!
http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/...ley_puller.jpg
Old 08-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Ogolden1
May need "special puller"!
http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/...ley_puller.jpg
Thanks, I saw that before, I'm not sure of the cost though.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

No puller needed as we have a keyed shaft/SC pulley; it is not pressed on.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I told them it wasn't keyed. That might help, along with the pics, for them to know what we have, so I don't have to send mine.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I told them it wasn't keyed. That might help, along with the pics, for them to know what we have, so I don't have to send mine.
Yep, the SC pulley is keyed and appears to be the same bore diameter as the aftermarket Magnuson/Eaton units.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's what I was hoping for.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Steve, there is an off the shelf, (special order), 3.4" blower pulley that should work with our set-up, but I'm thinking that size may take us straight to 9/10 psi with the 6# stepper and 7/8 psi with the stock stepper. It's used on some of the Grand Prix kits offered by http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/ . I think he will make any dia. we want.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
YA KNOW i think im gonna close every thread where somone mentions the supercharger,and upgrade pulleys untill someone takes one to the track....
Old 08-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just give us 30 days,.....

someone is bound to go by then.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
YA KNOW i think im gonna close every thread where somone mentions the supercharger,and upgrade pulleys untill someone takes one to the track....

As mentioned before... it is a TOO damn hot right now.... along with TOO many damn things going on ..... i.e HEAT, wheel hop, gauges, pulleys, chip, exhaust...... ahhh, my head is spinning..... the nearest damn track to me is an hour away... I wish I had an evening to piss away..... I am waiting till it cools off and I break out my REDNECK/Wrenching flannel shirt one night.

FYI boosted guys, the UPS man stopped by with the SIM parts yesterday... time to get crackin on my part...

Smitty
Old 08-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Steve, there is an off the shelf, (special order), 3.4" blower pulley that should work with our set-up, but I'm thinking that size may take us straight to 9/10 psi with the 6# stepper and 7/8 psi with the stock stepper. It's used on some of the Grand Prix kits offered by http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/ . I think he will make any dia. we want.
Nope, won't work. I know the L67 (GTP's engine code) engine and blower well. I was the first to install the 3.4 inch pulley on the GTP back in early '98. The pulley is a different design and would have a different offset due to the hex portion on our pulley.

I am sure we will need to send one to them to get the actual measurements.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
I think we will see several times coming up this fall. I wouldn't bother right now either for multiple reason. But come October I may make the 1.5 hour trip to Atlanta dragway.

Just pedal your 3.5L beast around the elderly and leave us boost guys alone.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, I just found something interesting today when I go on it on an on-ramp today. With the higher boost pulley my fuel pressure jumps to over 100 PSI, max on the gauge, when I get on it. Today I noticed that it was dropping at the higher revs and the boost wasn't falling off.

So this says to me that the fuel pump can't supply enough flow. I'll try to attain another unit to test with just to see if my pump is having problems.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nope, won't work. I know the L67 (GTP's engine code) engine and blower well. I was the first to install the 3.4 inch pulley on the GTP back in early '98. The pulley is a different design and would have a different offset due to the hex portion on our pulley.

I am sure we will need to send one to them to get the actual measurements.
I sent him a few pics and also mentioned the GP 3.4". He responded back allready and said the GP 3.4" would not work, but he knows what we need and will make whatever size we want, no problem.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...t=7&thecat=500
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...t=7&thecat=500
Old 08-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, I just found something interesting today when I go on it on an on-ramp today. With the higher boost pulley my fuel pressure jumps to over 100 PSI, max on the gauge, when I get on it. Today I noticed that it was dropping at the higher revs and the boost wasn't falling off.

So this says to me that the fuel pump can't supply enough flow. I'll try to attain another unit to test with just to see if my pump is having problems.
That's not good. I'm sure you checked the vacumm line to the FPR, I don't think a leak there would effect your boost much. You had your manifold off so ???????
Old 08-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

That's not good. I'm sure you checked the vacumm line to the FPR, I don't think a leak there would effect your boost much. You had your manifold off so ???????
The boost is holding fine, just the fuel pressure is dropping at the higher revs. IT drops to about 95 PSI by the time I hit 7k revs.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Thoughts