street racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 12:50 AM
CLanty-eyed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
street racing

so what is your take on street racing? take this quick survey... even if you don't race whatsoever. the answers are for research only. if you have any comments, please post those here...

http://www.votations.com/asp/survey.asp?pollid=81938

for the guys and girls in the pacific northwest, if we were to create some race events (spokane raceway, mission raceway in bc, sir, pir, etc...) what would you think?

i invite you all to help build our forum too, just click the sig
Old 04-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Street racing is STUPID! Mostly practiced by boys who have no self-esteem (not to mention inadequate abilities in and out of a car)..
Old 04-05-2003, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it on the track.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Racer

I try to go to the track as much as possible, but once in a while there's a light where you get next to a car. If I'm first in line, I WILL do a 0 -> 60 run, whatever.... I'll let off @ 60, though, no need to kill anyone.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep it on the track. Playing w/ another car when traffic is light is one thing, but out and out racing is a
Old 04-05-2003, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

yea, keep it on the track
Old 04-05-2003, 10:20 PM
CLanty-eyed

mods, can you please sticky this for at least a week, need to make sure there's as many votes/opinions as possible

thanks in advance for everyone's help, i'll let you know the results
Old 04-05-2003, 11:30 PM
What, me drive fast?

Do we mean STREET RACING or street racing? I will play around on the highway but I am not the type that will meet up on street X at time X to race car X.

Playing with a fast car is one thing but what I consider street racing is STUPID!
Old 04-05-2003, 11:41 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the races that are planned ahead of time i race @ this safe location b my house, its like a safe strip to do a 0-80 run. but i'll admit, if i'm at a light on a open freeway next to a car thats wants it i'll race, i wont race on a regular road w/ 45 mph speed limits and exits/entrances all over the place

some kid i know was drag racing on orchard lake road and the person he was racing got in an accident and killed 2 people, even though he didnt actually crash he was a part of the accident and was charged w/ 2nd degree murder, he is now behind bars
Old 04-06-2003, 01:09 AM
What, me drive fast?

I've never been called out to a "safe location" and I hope that I never do unless it's the track. Cripes, I listen to the twerps at the Stop and Shop that I go to talking about racing and I feel like showing up one night just to school them. We're talking mid 80's unmodified Civics, etc...it's North Andover not a city you have to worry about a 16yr old modding up to a 300hp Civic.

One time I was checking out my food and two guys were talking trash too each other. Evidently there was a race set up and the cashier was a participant. I asked what he drove...

"Oh, don't worry, I have a VTEC Civic".

(p.s. he was going against a 4cyl Mirage) I have no idea the outcome. Who cares!!!!

darrind...I totally hear you...it is the people that can't judge a good time and a bad time to play that cause misery.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:39 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the survey but I didn't think there were enough choices. As some have said, I'll race someone at a light if the want some or on the highway but thats about it. I go to the track as well.

CO-CL-S, I agree that street racing is dangerous and dumb but its practiced by more than just boys.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Stupid POLL is biased like the news on CNN, your either a die hard street racer on that poll or a die hard track racer. No inbetween.

:P

I didn't bother filling it out.

Always on the streets
Racing stays on the track
So Umm I guess you never race on the track if you race on the streets. STUPID

and

No more running from cops, I´m there
No way, I´m staying on the streets

This poll was definetly written by a kid, or someone who thinks like one.

Keep it on the track. I won't vote though.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Racer

I have no opinion on this but just funny how everyone states "keep it on the track"

but yet the street racing is twice as much...someone's lying to "fit in"...
Old 04-06-2003, 08:19 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
i attended the street races often out here. But never when the usual crowd of drunk idiots around. Always in a secluded area late at night w/ a group of a few cars. Don't see how it's much different then a track. 2 lane highway w/ no one around is basically the track. Only thing is your insurance is still covered on the highway.

wouldn't catch me racing on nights where there are close to 1000 people lining the side of the street. You'll see me there but not racing.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by CO-CL-S
Street racing is STUPID! Mostly practiced by boys who have no self-esteem (not to mention inadequate abilities in and out of a car)..

i hear what you are saying, lately the last few years street racing has seem to attracted the wrong crowd. Kids just looking for an excuse to do illegal shit, get drunk and cause trouble. But there are still the good ones out there. Been out there nights when it's like being at a real strip w/ out the 2 hour drive. Street blocked off, trailored cars, pretty well organized. But these are the dieing breed. I miss the tuesday nights out in sylmar w/ the big boys. Nothing like seeing and hearing 8 second straight drag cars ripping down streets in the middle of absolute no where. Not to mention watching 10K$ switching hands for losing by a car

and how can any of you say it's safer to race in "light" traffic on the freeway from say 80-100 then it is to race from a stop from 0-100 on a completely empty road?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:48 PM
CLanty-eyed

Stupid POLL is biased like the news on CNN, your either a die hard street racer on that poll or a die hard track racer. No inbetween.
i just tweaked the questions and answers a little bit so it's not as biased (hopefully), but conveys the same thing. it wasn't my intention to distinguish whether you race just on streets or you race just on tracks.

call it a rough draft
Old 04-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by x3nsaZnCL
i just tweaked the questions and answers a little bit so it's not as biased (hopefully), but conveys the same thing. it wasn't my intention to distinguish whether you race just on streets or you race just on tracks.

call it a rough draft
Old 04-07-2003, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ghander
i hear what you are saying, lately the last few years street racing has seem to attracted the wrong crowd. Kids just looking for an excuse to do illegal shit, get drunk and cause trouble. But there are still the good ones out there. Been out there nights when it's like being at a real strip w/ out the 2 hour drive. Street blocked off, trailored cars, pretty well organized. But these are the dieing breed. I miss the tuesday nights out in sylmar w/ the big boys. Nothing like seeing and hearing 8 second straight drag cars ripping down streets in the middle of absolute no where. Not to mention watching 10K$ switching hands for losing by a car

and how can any of you say it's safer to race in "light" traffic on the freeway from say 80-100 then it is to race from a stop from 0-100 on a completely empty road?
Street racing has been killing people since it began. I agree that eight seconds of screaming engine can be a real rush, but at the track, not on the street.
The reason for the poll numbers being different from what people are saying is that those who support street racing don't have the intestinal fortitude to say so (maybe they know they're wrong?).
Chicks street racing, sounds like penis envy to me. YMMV
Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
Street racing has been killing people since it began. I agree that eight seconds of screaming engine can be a real rush, but at the track, not on the street.
The reason for the poll numbers being different from what people are saying is that those who support street racing don't have the intestinal fortitude to say so (maybe they know they're wrong?).
Chicks street racing, sounds like penis envy to me. YMMV

people die on the track since it began too.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ghander
people die on the track since it began too.
But only those who chose to be at a race track...
Old 04-07-2003, 12:13 PM
teh Senior Instigator

i hear what you are saying stealthdrake, it's rediculous people race where other innocent people can get hurt.