Strange radar situation

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange radar situation

So I see the cop already have somebody pulled over. No radar on, no nothing...in fact the officer was at the speeder's window.

So I don't slow down, even though I am speeding. As soon as I get real close, I get a full burst of K-band...my V1 lit up.

WTF, I quickly look at the cop car and the patrol car is completely unoccupied. I scan the area and there are absolutely no other cop cars arounds.

WTF?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i was driving and my friend was a ways behind me in his bmw. (we both have 8500's)

when he got to within 50 feet of my back bumper i got a full on lazer blast. this was on a back country road.

i guess it was his 8500 saying hi to mine.

what does this have to do w/ your story?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had something similar occur in LA the other day, but no cop car was there.

I got "BLASTED" by K-band and actually came back a side street where the city is the process of installing a solar powered radar device (I need to see what it ends up being in a few weeks as it wasn't "finished" [or so I think]).

My K-band had the arrows at full power and generated the highest reading I’ve received from my V-1 (so far).

The side arrows were lit for 1/3 of a block and the level was pinned. By another 1/3 of a block, the level was zero!

Definitely K-band (not Ka or X). Also, not part of any commercial project (store, etc).

Description:

Solar array on top, mounted on pole next to – and between -- trees (very hard to see), and has a sign/display that isn't displaying info just yet...

Is this relevant? Who knows?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
i was driving and my friend was a ways behind me in his bmw. (we both have 8500's)

when he got to within 50 feet of my back bumper i got a full on lazer blast. this was on a back country road.

i guess it was his 8500 saying hi to mine.

what does this have to do w/ your story?
Maybe the car that Ken passed, which was all pulled over had a radar detector, therefore as he got closer to that car it set off his detector.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,165 Likes on 3,643 Posts
Ken, I wonder if the emergency vehicles, expressway trucks, etc have some sort of warning device that is low emission that warns people in Kansas. I know they have it in NYS but it's X band, no K. I don't know????
Old 06-28-2003, 03:00 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A LOT of cops use "ALWAYS ON" radar. So it doesnt matter if the cop is in the car or not. Here in CA, the CHP uses always on, but most of the city cops use the trigger type. Aim and shoot.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by AztecRol
A LOT of cops use "ALWAYS ON" radar. So it doesnt matter if the cop is in the car or not. Here in CA, the CHP uses always on, but most of the city cops use the trigger type. Aim and shoot.
Sure. But like I said in my first post, there was no radar signal as I was approaching the traffic stop. I was at least 1/2 mile away, I could see the overheads in the distance. Closer I could see the officer in the perp's window. And I ALWAYS look in the cop car for the second officer because in the past, I have been zapped by a second officer still operating the radar from shotgun. But nobody else was in that car. But when I was right up on them, full K blast, just like an instant on.

OPP has a K-band radar on the dashboard so there was no handheld radar on the seat that was hard to detect until close...I don't think. I was speeding. So at first I thought it might have been some type of new radar that tests your speed with another band or some type of pulse and then activates the radar when necessary. This not only would conform to legal radar standards but also would minimize officer having to continually give away position testing cars with detectable K. But then I thought...in Kansas? Naw.

This happened in a location where there is never any signal. In fact I drove by there today....nothing. And my V1 is functioning properly because I got hit with instant-on rolling radar today. Why cops in Kansas do this (rolling radar), I don't know...cause they NEVER turn around on you.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:51 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Ken, the cop might have had the remote control for the radar unit in his pocket, saw you and thought to give a blast as a warning even though he couldn't see the readout. They do make an audible tone that he might have been listening for from the perp's car that they can determine your general speed but only those who've been using radar for a while are that good.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:19 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Neech
Ken, the cop might have had the remote control for the radar unit in his pocket, saw you and thought to give a blast as a warning even though he couldn't see the readout. They do make an audible tone that he might have been listening for from the perp's car that they can determine your general speed but only those who've been using radar for a while are that good.

Crap, that's all we need, remotes !!