Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 07:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Noise

I've owned my Type S for about 11 months. A couple of months after taking delivery, I noted two unusual noises that seemed to be coming from under the hood. Took the car to my dealer (won't mention name since they've been very cooperative so far) and was told that there was excessive gear noise in my transmission. The service rep told me that their regional service manager recommended replacing the transmission instead of trying to repair it. Sounded like using a freight train to crack a walnut, but what the hell, it's their nickel. Having swapped out the transmission cured one of the noises, the more objectionable of the two. So it's a couple of months before I'm able to get it back by the dealer to investigate the other noise. This particular noise manifests itself as a high-pitched whirling or whistling sound that's only audible when driving at low speeds, and seems to only be present when decelerating. The pitch of the noise decreases as the speed of the car decreases. I just got the car back from the dealer after a couple of days of test driving and diagnosis in their facility. They confirmed that they heard the noise and that it wasn't evident in a couple of other Type S's they drove off the lot. Here's the kicker. They say they used a stethescope-like device and localized the sound to....you guessed it - the transmission.

My question is this: What are the odds that two completely independent transmissions installed in the same car would exhibit the same faulty noise, one that they claim they've never heard in any of the other Type S's they've driven? Has anyone here ever heard such a noise in their car? Anyone have a clue what it might be?

BTW, they say they are waiting on a call from the same regional service manager to get his advice before proceeding with anything, and will probably have him come and test drive the car.

SCCL
Old 08-11-2001, 01:57 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had to test drive a vehicle one night they asked me to put 30-40 miles on it, due to a transmission whine or noise, they replaced one for the same noise, they said they had another that the noise went away after driving for a short while, i never did hear anything, possibly a bad bearing, maybe a bad production run, you can isolate noises with stethescopes and chassis ears we use them all the time