A story and a warning...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A story and a warning...

So about 45 minutes ago, I'm driving back from the local Yoshinoya's where I had just picked up lunch. I'm stopped at a red light and my mind is distracted by both hunger and the Air Liquide semi-truck passing through the intersection. Eyes following the volatile semi brought me to notice a white 1st-gen CL w/plus-sized chrome wheels stopped and waiting for a left turn on my cross-street. He gets his light and turns into the intersection.

In the turn, the young driver looks at me in my IS300 and flips me off.

I'm thinking, "okay...?"

Now this is obviously a loser, and I'm not implying that he is at all representative of the CL community or this board. What does get me thinking is that this guy obviously has something against the IS300, and that probably came about from his experiences on the Internet, on this and/or our website. (Because I don't remember "Acura Driver" or any other source of information ever indicating that CL owners should have any particular reason to dislike IS300 owners.)

When I'm driving around the LA area and see a CL or CL-S being driven by a young person, the possibility does register that the driver could be a member of this board, and might even be somebody that has expressed extreme opinions along the lines of, "I wanna key ever IS I see," or something of the like. Of course, that's just something said, and most of them even explain here that it's just "Internet talk."

What disturbs me is that this little event is the first instance I've seen of somebody taking the insubstantial conflict of the Internet into real life.

I'm sure most of you guys (as are most of the guys over on is300.net) are well-adjusted people who don't do stupid and wrongs things in real life. But it was just demonstrated to me there are people who are willing to cross that line. Granted, he just flipped me off. But it doesn't take that much more to key somebody's car either.

I guess if there is a moral to this story, it's gotta be: Beware of the conflicts you create online. There exist people stupid enough to bring that into the real world.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Potenza S-02 Pole Position

The Reasonable Voice of Bias

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
good point but did you think maybe he just thought he knew you and was saying whats up???im not joking...i call my best friend by such warm gretting as dick and %ock sucker its just our way

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 05-15-2001, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Is it possible you banged his girlfriend in highschool? LOL

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 05-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Banned

I would have chased him down and flicked a penny at his car and used the cornering abilities of your IS to get away..
Doesn't matter what car a guy drives...if someone is a dick..they need a lesson shown to them.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 05-15-2001, 07:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
WOW,
That's unbelievable
What an F'Tard.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-15-2001, 07:10 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be those immature ppl who just can't differenciate real life from the internet. weather you like a car or not, that is no reason to flip someone off.

I really can't understand why ppl don't like the IS300?? I like it, its just not right for my lifestyle. I'm waiting til the day I can get the GS4..

They're are plenty of idiots out there, driving all kinds of cars... I hate to say, that's just the world we live in today.

Be careful who you decide to flip off. You never know how stupid and crazy a person is and if they have a gun.

------------------
Northern Cali Meet, June 10. BBBQ!!! - Click Here
Old 05-15-2001, 07:11 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

DtEW. I don't know what part of LA you're from but I used to live in Highland Park (NE Los Angeles) and had that type of *courtesy* given to me at times. People are asshole, expecially these racer-wannabes... Just ignore it and go on. In a city like LA, it's good advice just to forget about it and drive on. Unless ur crazy and u know the moron is some puny stick, then you who realizes he's about a foot taller and maybe twice as heavy cautiously open your door, step out and watch his panzy ass speed away. Either way, same effect...heh

*disclaimer, if you are smaller than the other person, don't try it *

[This message has been edited by HellaWhat (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 07:14 PM
Race Director

But he's right. Some people, after a long standing, unrealistic conflict online started to bring that conflict into real life, acting our the frustrations and battles experienced online in the real word.

It happens in cars, women, sports, gun, politics, finances, everything we love and enjoy. The Internet is great, but it does strange things to some people.

I know this to be the case because I sometimes think about these very same things (I said think) but I never act them out; too mature for that.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 05-16-2001, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
What does get me thinking is that this guy obviously has something against the IS300, and that probably came about from his experiences on the Internet, on this and/or our website. </font>
I dunno... I just think this is a REALLY REALLY big assumption. "Probably" came from internet experiences? I mean... how can you say that? How can you possibly have any idea whatsoever on what possessed him to flip you off. The human mind is so complex that I find it somewhat odd that someone could make such an assumption. It could be anything..... a bad experience with another IS driver, a bad Lexus salesman, etc etc etc. For all you know this guy doesn't even have a computer.

just my .02

Old 05-16-2001, 12:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On another note, DTew you ass I cannot believe I wasted my time replying to you when you declined to state what car you drive. I cannot believe that I took the time to reply to someone who drives an IS 300 who got disturbed when I said that the CLS is the best value in its class. And then declined to state what car it is you were driving. You obviously feel bad about your purchase. No problem though. Feeling guilty about making the wrong choice, is natural.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S

[This message has been edited by gavriil (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 12:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gavriil:
On another note, DTew you ass I cannot believe I wasted my time replying to you when you declined to state what car you drive. I cannot believe that I took the time to reply to someone who drives an IS 300 who got disturbed when I said that the CLS is the best value in its class. And then declined to state what car it is you were driving. You obviously feel bad about your purchase. No problem though. Feeling guilty about making the wrong choice, is natural.

</font>
It's official now, you are an ass.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-16-2001, 12:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

On topic now.

So what do you think you are doing with this post. You are an IS 300 owner and you come here posting that someone with a CL flipped you off and state it on this board. So? To make us feel guilty? TO make us think, oh poor IS 300 owners, we flip them off on the road. And feel for you?

Flipping on the road is a daily occurance. Have you heard of road rage ever? So if a guy with a Lumina flips me off I should go to their board and write a message with a subject "A STORY AND A WARNING". And pretend that Lumina owners have something against my CL? What a cheap excuse at best.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-16-2001, 12:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
It's official now, you are an ass.

</font>
Smaller than DTew though

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-16-2001, 12:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gavriil:
On topic now.

So what do you think you are doing with this post. You are an IS 300 owner and you come here posting that someone with a CL flipped you off and state it on this board. So? To make us feel guilty? TO make us think, oh poor IS 300 owners, we flip them off on the road. And feel for you?

Flipping on the road is a daily occurance. Have you heard of road rage ever? So if a guy with a Lumina flips me off I should go to their board and write a message with a subject "A STORY AND A WARNING". And pretend that Lumina owners have something against my CL? What a cheap excuse at best.

</font>
Ignore him, he forgot to take his medicine. Lemme flip YOU off for being a lameass to Dtew:

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-16-2001, 12:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hehe.

Eclipse, have you ever been an Eclipse owner in the past?

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-16-2001, 12:48 AM
Old timer

What a loser. I hate losers that give me a bad name because I have something in common with them (car we drive).

I mean, if I see an IS300 I'll probably grin and maybe even shake my head a little, but I wouldn't even think of flipping you off.

Not to mention if you prove me wrong and blow me away with a hidden turbo or something, you'd earn my respect, not my hatred.

I may dislike the stock IS300 because IMHO it's an overpriced, semi-ricey Civic, but if you have turned it into a rocket, that's cool with me. I have no problem being awed by an IS300. It is kinda cute and to see one all kitted out and performance-enhanced is nice!

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:08 AM
Who's Your Daddy

did you blow a kiss? did not put your signal ahead of time? you were mistaken for the guy who fu*ked his girl? but whats the purpose of this post? If a guy in an IS300 flipped me off, I sure as hell wouldnt go complain on the IS300 forum....I would go and complain about the teeth stuck in my fist

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 05-16-2001, 01:17 AM
Banned

Whoops! I'm sorry, DtEW, I didn't know that was you. We're experimenting with a matter to energy transporter where I work, and the first thing we did was beam me car and I to LA and back. I never saw a Starbucks before. I got a tan too.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
http://www.farscape.com
http://www.amren.com
Old 05-16-2001, 01:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Ya, I don't flip off IS300 drivers, I just leave them a nice view of my rear-license plate and maybe a little tire smoke.

DTEW: Just ignore that shit, happens all the time, him being in a 2st gen CL was coincidence I bet. Maybe he even flips off Type S owners, don't read too much into it...

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.94 seconds
V-1 Hardwired
Old 05-16-2001, 01:30 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
I dunno... I just think this is a REALLY REALLY big assumption.</font>
I admit that it is a rather big assumption. I agree that it could be any number of reasons he chose to flip me off. But you gotta admit that attributing a conflict that I have to conjure is more difficult than attributing one that we all know already exists, albeit in a virtual realm.

As you might have already gathered, it was so bizarre and out-of-the-blue that it's not a matter of anger or blame. If I came face-to-face with this driver right now, I wouldn't be interested at all in calling him out, but rather in engaging him and trying to find what made him tick, especially in regards to his life on the Internet.

Again, you're right. It might have nothing to do with the Internet. But that was the train of thought that occurred after this strange incident, and I think it still holds validity even independent of true motives of that other driver.

Scorpius: LOL, I should have guessed it was you. Next time give me fair warning before you conduct any further matter-transportation research, and I'll be ready to counter any more transgressions upon my turf.

CL-Super: Well, as I just said to GoldTypeS, it was more of a "hmm" thing than a "WTF" thing. My point is that some people take the Internet thing way too seriously, and bring the sh!t that gets around into real life. I think we need to get a handle on it before some unlucky IS300 owner or CL owner gets keyed or a rock in their window.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to communicate the same story and warning to my fellow IS300 owners w/o turning it into an us-vs-them thing.

gavriil: If you took the time to read my post with any care, it should be obvious that my point is not really about what some CL driver did. For all intents and purposes, the situation could have been completely reversed and there wouldn't be any reason to doubt the CL owner's story. The point that is the conflict between the two communities (that you sometimes help to perpetuate, BTW) can sometimes leave the virtual realm and spill into real life.

Call me arrogant or whatever, but my recent conflicts with you and your techniques of argumentation have told me as much as I ever want to know about the kind of person you are, irrespective of your car. I don't care enough about you to bother ignoring you as a matter of policy, but I'm certainly not going to waste any of my time entertaining your low-blow fights. Least of all am I going to play into your hand and let you again turn this into an IS300-owner-vs.-CL-owner-thing.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 01:55 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HellaWhat:
DtEW. I don't know what part of LA you're from but I used to live in Highland Park (NE Los Angeles) and had that type of *courtesy* given to me at times. People are asshole, expecially these racer-wannabes... Just ignore it and go on. In a city like LA, it's good advice just to forget about it and drive on. Unless ur crazy and u know the moron is some puny stick, then you who realizes he's about a foot taller and maybe twice as heavy cautiously open your door, step out and watch his panzy ass speed away. Either way, same effect...heh

*disclaimer, if you are smaller than the other person, don't try it *

[This message has been edited by HellaWhat (edited 05-15-2001).]
</font>
What? Size has NOTHING to do with fighting abilities. Actually, someone who is 5'6 could EASILY put it to someone taller with no SWEAT if that person knows how to fight.

Just look at mike tyson!

Old 05-16-2001, 02:05 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
What? Size has NOTHING to do with fighting abilities. Actually, someone who is 5'6 could EASILY put it to someone taller with no SWEAT if that person knows how to fight.

Just look at mike tyson!

</font>

And also...

I SWEAR!! EVERY SINGLE FUCXKING IS-300 I see on the road is driven by a BITCH!(Chick). What the FUCK! Everytime I pull onto an IS, I get this bIG HUGE smile thinking I am gonna blow one of these fuckin things away for once, then I see the driver, and it's a 30+ year old WOMAN!!!

GOT THIS CAR IS SUCH A CHICK CAR!!!

Hehe Kinda like the new VW BUG.

HEHEHEHE No offense DtEW, Hehehehe

ALL I WANT IS SOME BOY-RACER punk to be driving one of these IS-300's so I can smoke his ASS for lunch!
Old 05-16-2001, 02:10 AM
Suzuka Master

DtEW,

Just to break the ice...
Are you planning on coming to the So. Cali Nite meet thursday (Tustin Black Angus)? Come along man, meet some people/ eat good steak.
There's gona be all kinds of jap and euro imports there..

Kvit
kavextrax@acura-cl.com

More info. posted in the link below in my signature

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
• Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
• Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
• HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

• [Photopoint Album Pics]

Other
• [Yamaha Home Theater Gear]
• [DVD List]
• [Southern Calif. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus 6-7pm]
Old 05-16-2001, 02:17 AM
Burning Brakes

DTeW -->

It's gotta be a Cali thing Around me, in suburban Chicagoland, everyone driving a TLS and CLS is either a woman, or an old man, with NO reason to jump on the gas at a stoplight, or to flick someone off b/c they opted for the IS. Weird how some people literally.. and truly let their cars become their character, and the size of their ego is a result, subsequently of how fast their ride is, or how expensive. I mean, it's always one or the other, right?

Saabman had a good point the other day --> doesn't anyone just roll their windows down and not wish they had another car.. just enjoy the drive for the sake of driving? Isn't that the ultimate driving machine ..a car that makes you happy?

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
Bone Stock
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>
Old 05-16-2001, 02:42 AM
Pro

KavexTrax: I'm thinking about it, but the fly in the ointment is that I've already promised a few people that I was going to make the clublexus.com/is300.net meet in Carson this coming Saturday. Being that second midterms are next week and finals are just around the bend (I know, screwed-up schedule), I'm seriously considering blowing all my commitments. But then again, if I find time on Thursday night, I'll try to make it. There are quite a few people from this board I'd be very interested in meeting. Sorry about not being able to give a firm answer.

TL_Type_S: Yeah, I too very much liked the point that Saabman articulated the other day. That's how you know any person is a true driving enthusiast and connoisseur of life.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 03:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Everyone now has a reasonable voice of some kind, I want one now LOL.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-16-2001, 03:26 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:

gavriil: If you took the time to read my post with any care, it should be obvious that my point is not really about what some CL driver did. For all intents and purposes, the situation could have been completely reversed and there wouldn't be any reason to doubt the CL owner's story. The point that is the conflict between the two communities (that you sometimes help to perpetuate, BTW) can sometimes leave the virtual realm and spill into real life.

Call me arrogant or whatever, but my recent conflicts with you and your techniques of argumentation have told me as much as I ever want to know about the kind of person you are, irrespective of your car. I don't care enough about you to bother ignoring you as a matter of policy, but I'm certainly not going to waste any of my time entertaining your low-blow fights. Least of all am I going to play into your hand and let you again turn this into an IS300-owner-vs.-CL-owner-thing.

</font>
Seems like that's all this guy is interested in these days-- turning any discussion/conflict into an Acura vs XXXXX thing......

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason