The story of Sunoco gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The story of Sunoco gas

Oh the great gas company - Sunoco that provides the best gas for our cars and bikes. At this point in time, I can certainly say that I will NEVER take any of my vehicles to Sunoco again. Here is my story:

On February 14th, I filled up a full tank of Sunoco Gas. Next morning my poor '03 Acura 3.2 CL-S no longer wanted to run well, I could not understand why. Under acceleration the car would shake, engine check light came on and after a few more days of driving the engine check light started to flash.

I knew that it was probably gas, but I decided to run that tank through and then fill up with another brand, I did so, and the car seemed to run better for the first hour or so, however returned back to its previous state.

Today I finally got a chance to take my car to the dealership, here is the end result. THANK GOD my compression is still good across all the cylinders, BUT 3 injectors are clogged severely, one out of them is completely blocked off. My 3rd cylinder coil has died and of course new spark plugs are required. The total repair is looking like it's going to cost me around $1000, but I'm sure there are more hidden damages that were caused by this shitty gas. I told the dealership to change my fuel filter as well, but I'm hoping that my fuel pump is still okay since it would add up to several more hundred dollars.

So end result, here I am, the car is not covered under warranty because injectors is maintenence, I have no way of proving that Sunoco is at fault since I hadn't documented the gas that I poured into my car, and my motor will probably never be the same because the dealership is not rebuilding it.

I discourage anyone from filling up at Sunoco now. I filled up with 92 octane and it has caused that much damage. Feel free to state your opinions or suggestions is any other legal actions that I can take. $1000 isn't that much money and I'll end up paying more to retain a lawyer to plea my case, therefore I'm tempted to just bite my tounge and simply forget about it.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. I wouldn't fully hold Sunoco responsible. It's probably more related to the specific gas station and old/dirty tanks that it is to Sunoco gas.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:59 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
file a compaint. if it is the gas there will be others filing as well. i'm not sure why the coil pack would go out from bad gas though.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by poccnr
... BUT 3 injectors are clogged severely, one out of them is completely blocked off. My 3rd cylinder coil has died and of course new spark plugs are required....
I don't see how a part tank of bad gas could cause all these problems. The clogged injector maybe if there as a lot of crap in the gas, but I'd think this would be a build up over time. Don't know how you can say the gas effected the coil.

I have no way of proving that Sunoco is at fault since I hadn't documented the gas that I poured into my car..............Feel free to state your opinions or suggestions is any other legal actions that I can take.
Just because the problem started the day after you gassed does not prove the two are connected. Unless you pulled a fuel sample and had a lab tell you what was in there you have no case against Sunoco.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Zippee, you are right, I don't have a case against Sunoco unless other people had the same problem.

However, in regards to the coil. I am just pulling facts out of my ass right now, but the dealership said the sparkplug was f*cked. In such a case, wouldn't the voltage generated by the coil and shorted out be reflected directly back at it? Almost like it's been overheating in the coil rather than generating a spark.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:48 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
doubtful. a distributor doesn't go bad when a spark plug doesn't fire.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Team Owner

How did the “crud” get past the fuel filter?
If it was really that bad, wouldn’t it have just clogged the filter and stalled the engine?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn S
How did the “crud” get past the fuel filter?
If it was really that bad, wouldn’t it have just clogged the filter and stalled the engine?

Ditto
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by o1s
doubtful. a distributor doesn't go bad when a spark plug doesn't fire.
I don't think our cars have distributors... coil packs use crank angle sensors. But think about it this way. If you have a wire and you close the loop, then it will overheat throughout, especially in the coil, rather than jumping that little distance and discharging into the air.

and how did it get there? I have absolutely no idea. It could very well be that the dealership is feeding me a load of crap, so I'm definitelly going to request to see all the items they replaced.