Stock exhaust with no resonator

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 02:38 AM
Official Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock exhaust with no resonator

What do you guys think about running CAI, Headers, and stock exhaust with no resonator? I'm wondering how the car will sound like? Our stock mufflers are straight through so I don't think it's restricting. IMO, if we get rid of the resonator we'll get all the performance without the sound or attention. Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:44 AM
Pro

Without the resonator, the exhaust will sound louder. Perhaps not like an aftermarket loudness, but louder nonetheless.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
try it. it might be cool.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:15 AM
Cause stock sux.

Personally, I don't think the resonator makes that much difference performance wise. Might be louder, but thats about it. Its just a swelling of the pipe.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
it's more than swelling of the pipe, it's a silencer. it prolly has fiberglass or something inside it too. like a glasspack :o
Old 09-05-2002, 03:33 AM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by mattg
it's more than swelling of the pipe, it's a silencer. it prolly has fiberglass or something inside it too. like a glasspack :o

Thats what the muffler dude told me. I asked him to take it off and he said it wouldn't make any difference in performace. Said it was just a swelling.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:50 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Well if the design of the standard muffler is "straight thru," how come the Comptech Exhausts are noiser as they're "straight thru" also?
Old 09-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Pappy
Well if the design of the standard muffler is "straight thru," how come the Comptech Exhausts are noiser as they're "straight thru" also?
Different packing in the muffler, or less of it will make it louder. When you buy a glasspack muffler, it's one sound. As the wadding burns out, it gets progressively louder.

:P
Old 09-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro

The resonator of an exhaust system, even in a straight-thru system like the CL-S is actually a "swelling" of the pipe as Got Rice mentioned. Look at it when you remove the entire system and you'll see what I mean. There's no packing material in that part of the pipe. The idea behind the swelling is that it allows expansion of the exhaust gas, thus effectively slowing the velocity of the gas and reduction in noise. With the removal of the resonator, you will gain some HP, but it most likely will not be felt. Only noticeable on Dynos.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FDao
The resonator of an exhaust system, even in a straight-thru system like the CL-S is actually a "swelling" of the pipe as Got Rice mentioned. Look at it when you remove the entire system and you'll see what I mean. There's no packing material in that part of the pipe. The idea behind the swelling is that it allows expansion of the exhaust gas, thus effectively slowing the velocity of the gas and reduction in noise. With the removal of the resonator, you will gain some HP, but it most likely will not be felt. Only noticeable on Dynos.

Well put...

From my own experience -- the gains are minimal and the sound can get "raspy". At a minimum it would probably be better to put in a small glass pack or Helmholtz resonator (from the inside you would just see a pipe with holes or slats in it (no upset into or of the gas flow) with a small “can” surrounding the pipe.

Also, depending on the design, you can actually dump HP if you aren't careful (you can get more power in a few places at the expense of even more power lost at other places in the power band)...

YMMV
Old 09-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by EricL
Well put...

From my own experience -- the gains are minimal and the sound can get "raspy". At a minimum it would probably be better to put in a small glass pack or Helmholtz resonator (from the inside you would just see a pipe with holes or slats in it (no upset into or of the gas flow) with a small “can” surrounding the pipe.

Also, depending on the design, you can actually dump HP if you aren't careful (you can get more power in a few places at the expense of even more power lost at other places in the power band)...

YMMV
You can add a "cherry bomb" to make the sound less raspy.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EricL
Well put...

YMMV
As usual Eric, very well put .