Sticker issue - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticker issue - Help!

Hey guys! I have a question. At our school, any student that drives is required to have a sticker on the back of their car that can be seen easily by anyone from behind. This means it can be placed EITHER on the left rear bumper, or left bottom corner of the back windshield. Or pretty much anywhere on the left. Even next to the left taillight on the trunk would probably work.

Right now, here is my dilemma...Right now, I obviously don't want to stick it to my paint for obvious reasons - one being that with 9 coats of Zaino, I'm not sure if it will even stick . Seriously though, I don't want to risk ruining the paint, so right now I have temporarily scotch taped it to the back windshield left corner on the inside (refer to picture below).

Now, there are people in my school who have this sticker on a magnet, so they can put it on when they get to school, and take it off when they leave. This way, there is no ugly number on the car. This sounds like an awesome idea, but I'm not sure if I risk runing anything with the paint or anything? Also, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Old 08-28-2002, 10:44 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Magnet sounds like a good idea, or get one of those cling stickers with the number on it that can be removed.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:15 PM

Could you perhaps elaborate on this cling sticker thing? If I'm right, this means that I am not using the original sticker, right?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:54 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yo check this out...I just happened to browse onto this guy's site (BMW 540i) and I remembered this lil' trick he did. I know we don't have rear head rests but maybe you can inprovise...Hope this helps:

http://www.540i6.com/decalmount.html

Just more fun with a heat gun...

I hate putting stickers on my car. This is a nice alternative. It's portable between cars and and it saves the defroster tracings on the rear window from damage. Also, you don't see the decal when looking back through the window, and the mount has a nicer look from outside of the car.

A rectangular piece of plexiglass is bent to about a 60 degree angle using a heat gun. Decals are placed on the inside face as they normally would be on the window. The mount slips between and is held in place by the headrest and the seat.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:56 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Magent is a bad idea.

1. You will not be able to pick it up without sliding it. Not everytime, but it will happen.

2. Dust on the body, in the air, or on the magnet itself will get ground into the paint when you accidently "slide" the magnet, trying to pick it up off the car.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:04 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by Rock Dog
Magent is a bad idea.

1. You will not be able to pick it up without sliding it. Not everytime, but it will happen.

2. Dust on the body, in the air, or on the magnet itself will get ground into the paint when you accidently "slide" the magnet, trying to pick it up off the car.
shit! thats what i was gonna do. i have to put a sticker "on" my car also, fuckin sucks. they didnt figure that at a school where kids drive lexi and ac's and bimmers that there would be resistance to putting a sticker ON the car. i think they coulda spent less money by putting out those tags you can put on your rear view mirror. now i guess ill just tape it on the inside rear. hows that gonna go over w/ the tint?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by ItalianStallion

shit! thats what i was gonna do. i have to put a sticker "on" my car also, fuckin sucks. they didnt figure that at a school where kids drive lexi and ac's and bimmers that there would be resistance to putting a sticker ON the car. i think they coulda spent less money by putting out those tags you can put on your rear view mirror. now i guess ill just tape it on the inside rear. hows that gonna go over w/ the tint?
I would not suggest tape with your tint at all.

Though I may look into this plexiglass thing. Seems if I can find something similar, I might be able to do this.

I just made a magnet too, damn! I'll look into this plexiglass thing! Thanks chikai!
Old 08-29-2002, 06:33 PM

Well guys, I've found a solution! Much thanks to chikai for posting that idea!

I kind of took that idea and "ghettofied" it, but it produces nearly the same result! I just found a piece of "thick" plastic, and bent it to shape in between the backboard(?) and the seats - there is some space in there!

Here you go!

Old 08-29-2002, 06:35 PM

By the way, under my 129 sticker, there is a magnet, and there is also a magnet glued to the plastic, in case something happens to the plastic piece, so I don't have to sacrifice my sticker.

It's plastic, 2 magnets, the sticker stuck to one of the magnets.

It works!
Old 08-29-2002, 06:35 PM

Also, much better than scotch tape
Old 08-29-2002, 06:40 PM
:)

were you actually going to put the magnet on the outside of the car? where people could steal it easily?
Old 08-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Yeah, I would put it on the outside...

Trust me, no one wants that magnet We can easily get replacements - the school has tons of those stickers.

I would take it off on the weekends and such though
Old 08-29-2002, 06:46 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
soft refrigerator magnets WILL NOT hurt your paint.

I have ATM Productions magnets all over my car and no problems.

Just go buy some "roll" magnet, it comes in rolls, cut it to the shape of the sticker... voila.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by soopa
soft refrigerator magnets WILL NOT hurt your paint.

I have ATM Productions magnets all over my car and no problems.

Just go buy some "roll" magnet, it comes in rolls, cut it to the shape of the sticker... voila.
Greatt....Wish I would have known that earlier.

Regardless though, I think the sticker thing still looks good!