stereo system or exhaust and RC car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 06:18 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
stereo system or exhaust and RC car?

what do you guys think?

------------------
pays to be young and crazy

-99 acura 3.0 CL
-58 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz
-55 chevy suburban (chopped dropped tubbed)
Old 01-06-2001, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey CLpower. IMHO I think you should get a system first. I love the way that your car sounds with the intake on, and I think you said it best when you said that the exhaust would just take away from that sound. RC car would be fun though, built one myself..lost a part and never went back to buy it, but it IS fun to build! Which system would you go with, are you replacing everything? Head unit, speakers, maybe an amp and sub? Think that would be awesome!

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-06-2001, 10:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tw1112:
Hey CLpower. IMHO I think you should get a system first. I love the way that your car sounds with the intake on, and I think you said it best when you said that the exhaust would just take away from that sound. RC car would be fun though, built one myself..lost a part and never went back to buy it, but it IS fun to build! Which system would you go with, are you replacing everything? Head unit, speakers, maybe an amp and sub? Think that would be awesome!

Tw1112

</font>

i would most likely add 2 subs and replace all the speakers....it would all depend if i could use my factory head unit or not......yah...the exhaust is out of my head it probally won't happen unless i can find something super quiet....the R/C car probally won't happen either....i paly with those things for about a month or two then forget about them.....i'll probally do the system unless i can find a motor to build and it's within my 1,300$ budget i've given myself

------------------

-99 acura 3.0 CL
Old 01-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

You can get the comptech headers and then tell me if there worth it! hehe..Come on..you know you want them!!

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-06-2001, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say go with the R/C car. My friend just bought a SERPENT gas gar. He paid over $700 for the damm thing. He said this is THE FASTEST car on the market. It comes in pieces and needs to be assembled. Even the shocks and transmission is in pieces. It will take about a month to get it built, putting about 3-4 hours a day into it.
This thing ain't no toy or fly-by-night hobbieist's toy either.

Goes over 60 mph. (not scale speed, real speek)

------------------
Old 01-07-2001, 12:53 AM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
I say go with the R/C car. My friend just bought a SERPENT gas gar. He paid over $700 for the damm thing. He said this is THE FASTEST car on the market. It comes in pieces and needs to be assembled. Even the shocks and transmission is in pieces. It will take about a month to get it built, putting about 3-4 hours a day into it.

</font>
um...hmmm....umm....hmmm

------------------

-99 acura 3.0 CL
Old 01-07-2001, 12:55 AM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tw1112:
You can get the comptech headers and then tell me if there worth it! hehe..Come on..you know you want them!!

Tw1112

</font>
F U for even making me think about it....but it would be a good investment since i'll probally go CL-S or TL-s for the next ride

------------------

-99 acura 3.0 CL
Old 01-07-2001, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

HAHA...thought that would be how you would react. If you go with a system you could always move it on over to your next ride with a little tampering. So, I guess a system would be the best choice here IMO. Good luck Bro! Keep us posted....especially me..I was thinking about a system too

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-07-2001, 02:03 AM
Pro

</font>
Most likely he meant the Serpent Impulse, which is a 1/10 scale nitro (not gas) touring car ($700 and 60mph+ suggest 1/10 scale. 1/8 scale is more expensive and EVEN FASTER ). If that's the case, $700 is his total driveable (not raceable) cost, which means chassis + engine + electronics + starter box + basic accessories.

If he's fairly good with things mechanical, it'll only take him a day to build the chassis and another day or two to get the engine and electronics sorted out.

The Serpent Impulse is a very good car, but not actually the hot car on the market; that honor belongs to the Yokomo GT-4. BTW, most 1/10 scale nitro touring cars can be geared to exceed 60mph, but that's rarely useful except to brag about and do straight runs in huge parking lots.

I used to run in 1/10 scale ELECTRIC touring cars. The nitro cars usually walk on the straights (unless I've got a modified motor in the chassis), but electric racers can often pass/close in on those wider/heavier/uneven powerbanded vehicles in the turns. Both classes of racing are incredibly fun. If you're at all into cars, you should do yourself a favor and check out a race.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 02:25 AM
w.t.f., mate?

</font>
How fast is the 0-60 on that sucker? Get your CL-S and race that guy!

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 460
Old 01-07-2001, 03:06 AM
Racer

Yuppie, Screw off. You wanted our advise, I gave it to you. Don't Ummmmm Hmmmmm Me. Makin me feel like my words are non-entertaining.

Dtew, You seem to know alot about r/c cars. I, on the other hand, only know the basics. My friend is not very good at building stuff. That's why he's giving himself a month to build the sucker. And yes, $700 was Everything included. And, Yes, I know they are nitro and not Gas(like what we put in our cars)

As for the 0-60 times on the rc cars, I would think that it would kill our REAL cars (cl-s). Just look at the Weight Difference.

------------------
Old 01-07-2001, 07:46 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Yuppie, Screw off. You wanted our advise, I gave it to you. Don't Ummmmm Hmmmmm Me. Makin me feel like my words are non-entertaining.

</font>
it wasn't yuppie it was me and i wasn't doing it as a your non-entertaining...it was me thinking in my head...cheer up man, grab a bud

it w

------------------

-99 acura 3.0 CL
Old 01-07-2001, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

You have to ask yourself if your gonna be into R/C cars for a while or is it just gonna be something you use for a couple of races and get bored with. You'll will more than likely use the stereo system more than anything, so I personally would go with that.

------------------
96 Maxima (Auto)
CL:S Purchase Date March, 2001
Old 01-07-2001, 05:02 PM
RWD convert

I've owned many RC cars in the past, both nitro and electric. All were 1/10th scale. My first car was a Kyosho Spider GP10 nitro car w/ a 98 Accord body, OS .12 CV-X engine, tuned muffler and header, coil over shocks, etc. My next car was a Tamiya TA02 electric car w/ Nissan Skyline body. Next I purchased a Tamiya TA03F with a Lexus GS400 body. I loved this car, hopped it up greatly. My final car was the true racer though. It was an HPI RS4 Pro 2 with Trinity mod motor, ESC, etc. All these cars each took me about a full day to build(not very long or hard if you ask me). This hobby is a very entertaining and educational one. I learned alot about combustible engines and electronics. VERY expensive though.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:59 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [VTEC]TL:
This hobby is a very entertaining and educational one. I learned alot about combustible engines and electronics. VERY expensive though.</font>
Yup. It's amazing how much you can learn about suspension tuning and geometry/design from RCTC racing. It's an extremely affordable learning tool (relative to a real car) since you can make changes for a minimal amount of time/money, compare between the results, and repeat to confirm if necessary.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

Old 01-07-2001, 07:35 PM
w.t.f., mate?

As for the 0-60 times on the rc cars, I would think that it would kill our REAL cars (cl-s). Just look at the Weight Difference.

</font>
Yeah but we could run those things over.

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 460
Old 01-07-2001, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

i vote for the system

------------------
99 TL
Old 01-08-2001, 03:01 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [VTEC]TL:
I've owned many RC cars in the past, both nitro and electric. All were 1/10th scale. My first car was a Kyosho Spider GP10 nitro car w/ a 98 Accord body, OS .12 CV-X engine, tuned muffler and header, coil over shocks, etc. My next car was a Tamiya TA02 electric car w/ Nissan Skyline body. Next I purchased a Tamiya TA03F with a Lexus GS400 body. I loved this car, hopped it up greatly. My final car was the true racer though. It was an HPI RS4 Pro 2 with Trinity mod motor, ESC, etc. All these cars each took me about a full day to build(not very long or hard if you ask me). This hobby is a very entertaining and educational one. I learned alot about combustible engines and electronics. VERY expensive though.</font>
I used to own/still own the Rampage with the .12 czr motor. Did you have any problems with your motor? I could never get the thing to run right. Basically I gave up all hope for it.

------------------
Old 01-08-2001, 03:27 AM
Pro

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
I used to own/still own the Rampage with the .12 czr motor. Did you have any problems with your motor? I could never get the thing to run right. Basically I gave up all hope for it.
</font>
Same experience with me, except with a Nitro Hawk. That's why after that I ran electric exclusively.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

Old 01-08-2001, 03:35 AM
Advanced

Go for the RC car! I just bought a T-Maxx, which is the hottest Nitro 4x4 Monster out there. It's awesome. It'll run over anything...including other RC cars!

------------------
2001 CL-S Nighthawk Black w/ spoiler and chromed CL-S rims

[This message has been edited by clevie (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 05-09-2003, 03:13 AM
Who am I?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MUAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Who am I?

20 REPLIES AND ONLY 7 VIEWS????
Old 05-09-2003, 04:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
ibtl :whatbish:
Old 05-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Everything i know about tuning cars i know from R/C racing. I've been doing it for... holy crap, 7 years now... although i haven't been to the track in about two years - i just don't have the time. I used to race mostly electric off-road with my buggy (RC10B3) and truck (RC10T3), but the Associated TC3 is really calling me (iPod or TC3... iPod or TC3... ). I also have an RC10GT, but it's in pieces at the moment. One of these days i'll get around to rebuilding the suspension and breaking in the new engine (Paris tuned Dynomite .12, i believe). Maybe i can do that sometime this summer, i haven't torn up the local dirt roads in a while.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Old timer

WTF why would you dig up a two-year-old thread by ghander's old screenname? So whack.