Stereo/panel access...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo/panel access...

Sorry if this a repeat question, but it's quick... My Blitz audio adapter (for an iPod) finally arrived, so all I need to do get access to the back of the stereo/navi so that i can plugin in the 14pin harness and run the cable out.

If anyone here could point me at any pictures, recommendations, or procedures for making this happen, that'd be grand.... Thanks in advance!

Andy

P.S. Goddam snow.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Whoops, I should have looked harder before posting:

http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...er_console.htm

andy
Old 12-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I'm a girl

have you tried this on the CL-S yet...I will be wanting to do this soon as well and have been looking for a tutorial, I just want to be sure it works on the CL.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Post installation report

Originally Posted by honion
have you tried this on the CL-S yet...I will be wanting to do this soon as well and have been looking for a tutorial, I just want to be sure it works on the CL.
Yep, I did the whole install in about 3 hours at a fairly relaxed pace (I have a 2003 CL-S, navi 6 spd) (disclaimer: I'm pretty good with my hands). The pictures from that link are right-on and a *huge* help. Since I have a 6 speed, the only departure was taking off the housing around the stick (what he calls the "shift area cover"). To remove it in a 6 speed, you first pop out the 3" plastic curved tray (a couple inches forward of the shifer) by popping the two 1/4" plastic clips/nipples on its underside. With that tray removed, you will see two gold screws and then you're all set.

Also note that I didn't need to fully remove and disconnect the stereo deck in order to plug in the blitzsafe. The 14-pin plug is on the bottom centerline of the tuner unit, so I just unscrewed the 2 gold screws on each side that hold the deck in place and slid out the deck about an inch (so I could plug in the 14 pin cable).

I ended up bringing the wire through the cup holder for two big reasons:

- Hidden from sight: any thief that knows anything knows that if there's a iPod-like cable sticking out somewhere, then there's a really good chance there's an iPod in the car somewhere just out of sight. It's trivial to slide the cup holder closed and now nothing is in sight (except an extremely boring factory-looking setup that no thief would be interested in). I've had really bad luck with thieves with past cars, so I'm not taking any chances.

- Convenient to grab and operate the iPod and then see the screen. It'd be otherwise annoying if the cable was draped over or near the armrest, the shifter, or forward of the shifter.

Check out these pics:
http://55ware.com/external/IMG_0388.jpg
http://55ware.com/external/IMG_0387.jpg

The audio sounds great, but my iPod mini isn't charging when it's plugged in (one of the selling points of this bitzsafe model was that it charges your iPod). Noticing this before I put the car back together, I checked the blitzsafe fuse and voltage across the fuse terminals (with the fuse removed). The fuse tested fine and I got a little over 4 volts. I emailed the blitzsafe tech support, but I don't expect an answer until the week (sigh). I'll keep this thread updated with progress updates. FYI, it's a blitzsafe HON M-LINK DMX V.1, and they very clearly say its for all 99-03 Acuras (except RL, SLX, and 03 TSX).

Andy
Old 12-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andy55
The audio sounds great, but my iPod mini isn't charging when it's plugged in (one of the selling points of this bitzsafe model was that it charges your iPod). Noticing this before I put the car back together, I checked the blitzsafe fuse and voltage across the fuse terminals (with the fuse removed). The fuse tested fine and I got a little over 4 volts. I emailed the blitzsafe tech support, but I don't expect an answer until the week (sigh). I'll keep this thread updated with progress updates. FYI, it's a blitzsafe HON M-LINK DMX V.1, and they very clearly say its for all 99-03 Acuras (except RL, SLX, and 03 TSX).

I never got a response from Blitzsafe, but I do have an update. The iPod charges, but only seems to get into that state when it's plugged in *before* the car/stereo is turned on. In other words, just plug it in before the car starts and all is well! Also, I have verified that it charges for 20 mins after the car is turned off--a very nice feature indeed. Another feature of this model is that when the car/stereo is turned off, it pauses the iPod. This way, when you return to the car and start it up, ya just unpause the iPod and you're right where ya left off...

I definitely recommend this Blitzsafe model to any CLers who have an iPod. The sound quality is better than I thought it could be and the features I mentioned above really make it practical.

andy