Steering wheel vibtrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 09:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel vibtrating

I just got my new rims put on 2 days ago, and I have been noticing that when I'm going 50ish my steering wheel starts to vibrate and go crazy. I didn't have any problems before with the stock tires and rims. I have to wait until Monday when they are open. Can someone tell me what is going on? Its really starting to piss me off
Old 08-31-2002, 09:30 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
omg

someone else with my wheels?!?!?

you have been cursed for being a biter
Old 08-31-2002, 11:28 PM
Pro

Re: Steering wheel vibtrating

Originally posted by wuzzz619
I just got my new rims put on 2 days ago, and I have been noticing that when I'm going 50ish my steering wheel starts to vibrate and go crazy. I didn't have any problems before with the stock tires and rims. I have to wait until Monday when they are open. Can someone tell me what is going on? Its really starting to piss me off
Sounds like they aren't properly balanced. If the tire guy did a shitty job balancing the rubber, then you'll get that.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Steering wheel vibtrating

Originally posted by Wires

Sounds like they aren't properly balanced. If the tire guy did a shitty job balancing the rubber, then you'll get that.

And....

If the wheels weren’t torqued properly and/or have run-out, you will get the problem even if the wheels and tires are perfectly balanced. (I know, 'cause it happened to me...)

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=torque
Old 09-02-2002, 01:32 PM
Rod
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Steering wheel vibtrating

Originally posted by EricL
...If the wheels weren’t torqued properly and/or have run-out, you will get the problem even if the wheels and tires are perfectly balanced...
Run-out?? What exactly do you mean?
Old 09-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering wheel vibtrating

Well thanks for the info. Hopefully they will eliminate this problem when I take it in tomrrow

Originally posted by Rod

I'm wonderin the same thing.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Same Thing happened to my car as well when I put my rims on. Wish I had known sooner as I spent way too much money on repeated balances which did nothing for my high speed wheel shake.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:11 PM
?!?

hmmmmmmmmmmm

i always thought the slight harmonic vibration was from going to fast on bad freeway surfaces???

should i just go to my dealership and ask them to do an alignment
Old 09-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

The I definatley noticed a difference in road feel with low profile tires, but I got used to that after a while. Another thing about my wheel shake is that it would occurr randomly. Some days it would be violent and then nothing for a few more days (same 40 miles freeways drive each day)
Old 09-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by MtBikR
...Another thing about my wheel shake is that it would occurr randomly. Some days it would be violent and then nothing for a few more days...
Same here. Sometimes it's crazy and other times you don't feel much at all.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering wheel vibtrating

Originally posted by Rod

When tires or wheels are not perfectly centered, they tend to bob up and down. The term "run-out" can be used for lateral movement (e.g brake rotors, bearings == lateral run-out) AND/OR for radial run-out for rotation that is not perfectly circular (think of a tire with a huge flat spot) or a tire/wheel that isn’t centered (think of a cam lobe).

The reason I left the link (to augment) the brief description about my little "unhappy" rotate and balance session, was to point out that most shops are not going to take the time to do a "weenie-like" job (they are not going to treat the car like it is their own).

The Acura seems to really be sensitive to "run-out" issues and just having the nuts tightened by a moron was enough to cause the steering wheel to go nuts at 50-60 MPH.

The wheels and tires were first rechecked for balance (and were OK), but I had them do the balance at the highest speed possible and I don't think that was the problem.

When I got together with one of the "old-timers" that had been out for lunch, we noticed that the back of the wheel nuts had a wear pattern that looked like they had NOT been seated correctly. (That's why it can help to put a little dab of some lithium grease [or whatever] and hand tighten the wheels nuts in a "star" pattern to make sure that the wheel takes a "perfect" set (the tiny film of grease helps to allow the 5 wheel nuts to be perfectly centered in their holes). THE backs of my nuts (for the SSR wheels) have a taper and can end up getting "cocked" out of place. By slowly winding the nuts in by hand, it insures that some pit-crew-wannabe doesn't offset the wheel center and end up causing the wheels to bob up and down like an apple in a water barrel!

So, if anyone thinks some of the stories about "using star patterns" for torquing, or hand tightening first, or slowly increasing the torque is BS, I can assure you that it can make the difference between a “shake-mobile” and a car that is dead steady at 100MPH (zero vibration)...

BTW, it is also possible to get out of round wheels or wheels with run-out and it is also possible to get oversized tires installed on an undersized rim (this can make for terrible radial run-out problems).

YMMV
Old 09-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Rod
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I asked them to do this last time, but this time I'm going to sit there and make sure everything's done correctly.