Old 08-08-2003, 04:06 PM
OrIgiNal GanGstA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srt 4 neon

has anyone raced a neon srt 4 i want to know what u all think
Old 08-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes i have and i beat him barely by 1.5 cars..... but i also got beat by another by 1.5 cars... was stock at the time... got cai now...those things are pretty fast but with a few mods you shouldnt have prob with them
Old 08-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

what those ugly things to the quarter mile in?
how much horsepower?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
OrIgiNal GanGstA

i find that hard to believe they run 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 14.1 215hp 245ftlbs of torque the dude honestly didnt know how to drive
Old 08-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Drifting

ya i got lucky when i did win... but the other one that i raced was stock and he whoop me good.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:43 AM
What can I get ya?

They should whoop up on a cl-s decently. The power #'s are way underrated. Sport Compact car just did a dyno test on it (stock) and it put down 223 whp and 256 ft.lbs. Because they are so light, A good driver will wreck even a modded cl-s.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

I don't think it would take much for a CL-S (espeacially a 6sp) to beat one of them. I've driven one before and wasn't highly impressed. You get what you pay for too! CL's are heavier too, so that is against you also. If you guys have, lets say the Comptech headers and CAI, you think you can get into the 13's?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

damn.... didnt know they were that fast.

ive seen a good handful of them here in PA. up here, people prefer american cars for some reason and thats like the boy ricers' car...
Old 08-10-2003, 07:26 AM
OrIgiNal GanGstA

yeah it is a neon but for the money it is the best car if u want a 1/4 car that runs
Old 08-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Racer

I saw one run 13.9 at englishtown last month on a hot afternoon. that was his best run. he then ran 14.1 2 times in a row after that.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Banned

SRT4 = faster than CL-S, no questions asked. doesnt matter if CL-S is 6 speed or auto. any person that at least knows how to drive stick to some degree of accuracy would walk on any CL-S any day, unless said CL-S was boosted or on the gas. (or heavily heavily worked N/A)

the SRT-4 is doing 13.7-13.9 stock. no non-boosted, non-nitrous CL can touch those numbers, at least not yet
Old 08-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
a NEON beats my cl-s? damn.

just gotta keep telling myself, speed isnt everything, speed isnt everything....
Old 08-11-2003, 11:40 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A SRT-4 with a person that knows how to drive stick will beat any CLS with i/h/e, totally agree. I have run into 2 SRT-4's this passed weekend, one I beat because it was a kid that had no idea how to drive stick, the other guy beat me pretty good. Getting back to the kid, first light we had he stalled it off the line, caught me at another light, and bogged the hell out of it off the line and I had him by a car and a half off of my jump alone, I think he was trying to show for his girlfriend, who was uncontrollably laughing at him after going 0-2 against me, he gave up, I felt like showing him how to drive stick, I almost felt bad for him, well maybe not!! :devil:
Old 08-11-2003, 09:10 PM
A work in progress

They should whoop up on a cl-s decently. The power #'s are way underrated. Sport Compact car just did a dyno test on it (stock) and it put down 223 whp and 256 ft.lbs. Because they are so light, A good driver will wreck even a modded cl-s.
I don't care if the car has wings and $#its golden eggs I still wouldn't buy a neon. I'm happy with my CL thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:42 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-12-2003, 05:31 AM
noodles tastes good.

For the price for a CL-S i could almost buy 2 Eees R tee Fourz.

.. and so what..

I could drive a snow mobile on the street and whoop an Eees R tee four, or buy a 5000 dollar bike and whoop it.. cheap crap cars that go fast mean nothing. IT is has NO prestige, costs pennies in my pockets, and proves nothing other than the fact that if you 26grand canadian u can own fast trash.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:47 AM
im back

its still a neon...it could run 10's in the quarter mile...its still a neon and people understand that
Old 08-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Banned

you guys can go on and on and on about the SRT-4 having no prestige, not being classy, being just another one of the fast little cheap rocket box cars. well yeah, thats all true, but the simple fact that you would SAY these types of things means that the SRT-4 IS SERVING ITS INTENDED PURPOSE.

the SRT-4 is such a well performing vehicle that people with "superior cars" in "superior classes" start to get bent out of shape and get defensive and start rattling off critisizms of the SRT-4 and bashing it for this, that, or the other thing.

the fact is that the SRT-4 will smoke the shit out of a CL-S. PERIOD. a well driven SRT-4 will smoke the shit out of a well driven CL-S 6 speed, even with headers.

obviously, that irks some CL-S owners and gets under their skin to the point they feel it nessesary to bash the SRT-4 without ever even giving it a chance.

you can rattle off all the BS bashing you want against a SRT-4 but the fact remians, it will beat your ass on the street, on the track, in the twisties, anywhere. and the only way to dull that painful reality for some people (not just CL-S owners but owners of all cars that are supposed to be fast and cool, etc) is to start bashing it.

its uncalled for, and unjustified. have you even ever driven an SRT-4??? Dodge put ALOT of effort, time, R&D into the SRT-4 and the end result is a fucking AWESOME car for the money, id love to see one vehicle that offers nearly what the SRT-4 does for the price. all the bashing is pointless, biased, unjustified, and unproven.

does the SRT-4 have reliability issues?? who the hell knows!?!! it just came out!!

does the SRT-4 have lousy build quality??? well, thats in the eye of the beholder and honestly, it cant be much worse than the RATTLEMONSTER CL-S!!!! nearly every single member here has taken their CL-S in for NUMEROUS rattles, squeaks, creaks, and other things relating purely to cheapo build quality.

people need to shut the fuck up with the bashing and just admit that it will beat the pants off of them, after all, this topic is about RACING, about SPEED, about POWER....not about the badge on the back, the build quality, the reliability, etc.

honestly though, SRT-4 owners can just smirk at people who bash their car because all the bashing in the world wont change the fact that the SRT-4 will beat most cars out there in any type of race.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:45 AM
im back

who cares if that little turbocharged car will smoke the pants off our 4000lb boats. The srt-4 was made for this purpose, lotta horsepower, lotta torque in a lightweight car and to be a fast little race car thats inexpensive and highly modable to keep up competition against cars like the Spec V, SVT focus, WRX, etc etc....but the fact of the matter is, ITS STILL A NEON! regardless of how fast it is. Just like the Spec V is still a sentra and the SVT is still a ford fungus.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Banned

the SRT-4 smokes the shit out of all the competition you mentioned so badly its embarrassing for those cars. the SRT-4 dynos 230+ hp and 245+ ft lbs. those cars you mentioned, doesnt even come close. it doesnt keep up with competition, it raised the bar, shattered the barrier, and sits at the absolute pinnacle of its segment. the only cars that can realistically compete that are in SOMEWHAT of a similar class are the EVO or STI, both of which are 10,000 more dollars and AWD.

there IS NO competition for the SRT-4 in its own segment.

give some credit where credit is due for once
Old 08-12-2003, 10:55 AM
im back

but thats the class thats it in...and it hardly smokes a well driven wrx. Its still a neon and both of us are just as stubborn and not giving in at all
Old 08-12-2003, 11:55 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

You know even though you may never even think of buying a neon, you have to agree with jimcol711 on this one, for what this car was made for $$$, this car is a beast. It wasn't made to be a luxury sport car, it was made to be a beast on the street, and track. At the same time it should be considered in the same class as the WRX-STi and the EVO, but in my eyes the SRT-4 just isn't quite there yet, but it will be. I happen to love my TL-S and I would never trade it in for a SRT-4, that is not what I was looking for when I bought my car and that is what it comes down too, personal preference, but at the same time you can't bash the performance numbers for the SRT-4.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you own stock in Daimler-Chrysler Jim?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Do you own stock in Daimler-Chrysler Jim?
hahahahahaha, no, but i do own a dodge truck and i do know how to swallow my pride and admit defeat and give credit where its due, even if it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth
Old 08-12-2003, 05:43 PM
A work in progress

Dude Jim You got issues, how long did it take you to write all that about... a Neon.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro

I know a guy who ran 12.8@108 mph with a boost controller and slicks up front with an SRT4
Old 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

The SRT-4 neon is the beast, the best pocket rocket for less than $25k, even it is a $20k! However, as FWD, it is still had issues with handling. WRX and STI and the EVO are a better Sports Car choice... ehm both are beast, monsters in handling and power too!.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:43 AM
OrIgiNal GanGstA

yes the evo and sti are better cars stock but u put the 11k extra that u have to pay for the sti and evo into the srt-4 all the evo and sti would see is WELL U KNOW THE OLD SAYING anyway u did it
Old 08-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2003TL-S
You know even though you may never even think of buying a neon, you have to agree with jimcol711 on this one, for what this car was made for $$$, this car is a beast. It wasn't made to be a luxury sport car, it was made to be a beast on the street, and track. At the same time it should be considered in the same class as the WRX-STi and the EVO, but in my eyes the SRT-4 just isn't quite there yet, but it will be. I happen to love my TL-S and I would never trade it in for a SRT-4, that is not what I was looking for when I bought my car and that is what it comes down too, personal preference, but at the same time you can't bash the performance numbers for the SRT-4.
I agree!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:14 AM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

why buy an Acura CL/TL-S? luxury sport. why buy a neon? to smoke the anyone who tries to race you. can't you guys see that all jim is saying is that it certainly lives up to its design specs as do our acuras. nuff said.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh, the SRT-4 compraisons to the WRX, STi and Evo...

The WRX costs at least 25% more and then STi and Evo cost at least 50% more. Not exactly the same market segment.

The SRT-4 is great for consumers as it offers great peformance in a great price, as has already been noted.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:52 PM
6th Gear

Man i had one of those neons. they are fast but it dosent have anything of the CL, trust me
Old 08-26-2003, 11:51 AM
OrIgiNal GanGstA

u had one for how long and why did u get rid of it
Old 08-26-2003, 04:24 PM
noob4life

Man forget about SRT-4's I got my ass handed to me (literally) by some guy in a regular neon. I was on the highway, he cut me off, I gave him the thumbs down, and all hell broke loose. Long story short I took an exit, knowing where the local police station was, I was gonna lead him there cuz he was acting like he was going to kill me on the freeway. One wrong turn in the city streets had me looking right at a gated residential community with no way to turn around but the way he was coming in. He rammed my front and came out screaming, thank goodness the cops showed up just then. Anyway those neons are crazy light. I had just an intake at the time... but still... I'm quite embarassed
Old 08-26-2003, 04:30 PM

Funny but saying it's still a Neon but hooking up our cars, some people still say "it's still Japanese crap"

Look for 20k it ownsz all other cars. It ownsz us driven well. I don't think ANY NEON owners thinks his car is a luxury car but it is a pocket rocket and MORE POWER to Dodge to making it.

LAME ATTEMPTS

Toyota Corolla S (WTF is the S badge there for)
Civic Si Hatchback (POS)
Old 08-26-2003, 09:14 PM
God
GOD Of ACURA-CL.COM

I tried and well he didnt even have to and he still left me
Old 08-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jimcol711
you guys can go on and on and on about the SRT-4 having no prestige, not being classy, being just another one of the fast little cheap rocket box cars. well yeah, thats all true, but the simple fact that you would SAY these types of things means that the SRT-4 IS SERVING ITS INTENDED PURPOSE.

the SRT-4 is such a well performing vehicle that people with "superior cars" in "superior classes" start to get bent out of shape and get defensive and start rattling off critisizms of the SRT-4 and bashing it for this, that, or the other thing.

the fact is that the SRT-4 will smoke the shit out of a CL-S. PERIOD. a well driven SRT-4 will smoke the shit out of a well driven CL-S 6 speed, even with headers.

obviously, that irks some CL-S owners and gets under their skin to the point they feel it nessesary to bash the SRT-4 without ever even giving it a chance.

you can rattle off all the BS bashing you want against a SRT-4 but the fact remians, it will beat your ass on the street, on the track, in the twisties, anywhere. and the only way to dull that painful reality for some people (not just CL-S owners but owners of all cars that are supposed to be fast and cool, etc) is to start bashing it.

its uncalled for, and unjustified. have you even ever driven an SRT-4??? Dodge put ALOT of effort, time, R&D into the SRT-4 and the end result is a fucking AWESOME car for the money, id love to see one vehicle that offers nearly what the SRT-4 does for the price. all the bashing is pointless, biased, unjustified, and unproven.

does the SRT-4 have reliability issues?? who the hell knows!?!! it just came out!!

does the SRT-4 have lousy build quality??? well, thats in the eye of the beholder and honestly, it cant be much worse than the RATTLEMONSTER CL-S!!!! nearly every single member here has taken their CL-S in for NUMEROUS rattles, squeaks, creaks, and other things relating purely to cheapo build quality.

people need to shut the fuck up with the bashing and just admit that it will beat the pants off of them, after all, this topic is about RACING, about SPEED, about POWER....not about the badge on the back, the build quality, the reliability, etc.

honestly though, SRT-4 owners can just smirk at people who bash their car because all the bashing in the world wont change the fact that the SRT-4 will beat most cars out there in any type of race.
umm..... not that i don't agree with the performance of the neon but soes anyone here remember why dodge stopped building turbo-charged vehicles? i will refresh your memory, they don't know how! history will tell you they haven't been able to keep those things in one piece since they were intrduced back in the 80's. but don't take my word for it check the archive consumer reports. there is a reason why they don't hold any value. one other thing what would you rather buy, an acura with 50k miles on it or a turbo-dodge with 50k miles on it?
Old 08-27-2003, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EVANCRUZ
umm..... not that i don't agree with the performance of the neon but soes anyone here remember why dodge stopped building turbo-charged vehicles? i will refresh your memory, they don't know how! history will tell you they haven't been able to keep those things in one piece since they were intrduced back in the 80's. but don't take my word for it check the archive consumer reports. there is a reason why they don't hold any value. one other thing what would you rather buy, an acura with 50k miles on it or a turbo-dodge with 50k miles on it?
Quite a bit of this had to do with turbo technology in general. And BTW, many of these turbo engines, even before the formation of DSM, were sourced from Mitsubishi.

Today, both Garrett and Mitsubishi turbos have a much greater life span than they did twenty years ago.

Lastly, a lot has to do with cost. The extra items and plumbing associated with a turbo application cost more for the manufacturer than does a larger block.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by scalbert
Quite a bit of this had to do with turbo technology in general. And BTW, many of these turbo engines, even before the formation of DSM, were sourced from Mitsubishi.

Today, both Garrett and Mitsubishi turbos have a much greater life span than they did twenty years ago.

Lastly, a lot has to do with cost. The extra items and plumbing associated with a turbo application cost more for the manufacturer than does a larger block.
i agree with the turbo technology but that's not what i'm talking about. i'm talking about the heads, cooling, oil delivery, and just about every other little detail that nissan, volvo, toyota, and even gm didn't have problems within the scale i'm talking about. i see far more 80's turbo z's (280zx-300zx) and volvo's running around then the old dodge turbos. actually i don't know when tha last time i saw an 80's dodge turbo around town. but my nieghbor has a dodge daytona turbo. it's sitting in his garage it doesn't run. i base what i' m saying on personal experience and 17 years working on cars. my father used to love those cars his first was a
85 or 86 labaron turbo then an 88 shadow turbo and last a 89 sundance turbo. they were very quick for their time but by 30k miles every single one of those cars had blown a head gasket. along with numerous other problems. anyways i don't wish car problems on anybody. lets just hope that the new generation neon can hang in there long enough for people to enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EVANCRUZ
actually i don't know when tha last time i saw an 80's dodge turbo around town. but my nieghbor has a dodge daytona turbo. it's sitting in his garage it doesn't run. i base what i' m saying on personal experience and 17 years working on cars. my father used to love those cars his first was a
I have had disimilar experiences with turbo Dodge vehicles; guess it is due to the superior fuel we have out this way.

Do you see any old Caravan's running around?? Many have the same engine or a version of what was mentioned.

One reason for failures in the past was due to poor engine management. This is light years ahead now especialy when it comes to knock detection and control. That is how many early turbo engines got damaged IMO...