srs indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srs indicator light

friday my SRS indicator light came on (again)

the first time was a couple of weeks ago and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong and just reset the computer.

this time it gave the exact same computer code and they decided to replace the doohicky that is failing and tripping the code.

not sure what the doohicky was called, but I'll update when I see them tomorrow. they are fedexing a new one in.

just a little fyi - if your SRS indicator light goes on - call the dealer ASAP - it indicates that the airbag system is totally disabled because of an error.

anybody else have any problems with their airbags?
Old 10-15-2001, 03:44 PM
Drifting

Re: srs indicator light

Originally posted by goldn1
friday my SRS indicator light came on (again)

the first time was a couple of weeks ago and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong and just reset the computer.

this time it gave the exact same computer code and they decided to replace the doohicky that is failing and tripping the code.

not sure what the doohicky was called, but I'll update when I see them tomorrow. they are fedexing a new one in.

just a little fyi - if your SRS indicator light goes on - call the dealer ASAP - it indicates that the airbag system is totally disabled because of an error.

anybody else have any problems with their airbags?
I think your dealer is panicking you for no reason. I had an SRS light come on, and it was a code indicating one of the seat belt buckle sensors was bad.
Old 10-15-2001, 04:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

When my SRS indicator light came on, I went in to the dealer and they said I needed a new SRS detector unit for my passenger side seat.

Sounds like the same thing you need goldn1.

They did a horrible job of putting it in. Stuffing was visible from a profile side view of the passenger seat. Just this weekend I conditioned the leather and found a screw wedged down in the velvet part of the seat. I'm assuming it was a screw they left out during the SRS detector unit install.

Even to this day, if someone leans on the seat in a bad position, the light will come on briefly until they readjust their body.

So now I'm always telling passengers

"Hey, don't lean too much on the seat because the SRS light will come on."

They give me a comatose stare and ignore me. I love my car.

my 2 cents
Old 10-15-2001, 04:13 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the SRS when the front passenger lean toward the window is a normal behavior. Only side air bag is shut off.....
Old 10-15-2001, 05:09 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had the same problem with my SRS light. The doohickey in the passenger seat actually has a service bulletin out to be replaced. The dealer should replace it for you.

The dealer did a bad job replacing mine too. It must be difficult to get the passenger seat backing back on correctly.
Old 10-15-2001, 05:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

At least now I don't feel singled out about the bad doohickey install.

Welcome aboard, bl^5
Old 10-17-2001, 02:36 PM
Instructor

My doohickey was called OPDS - Occupant Position Detection Sensor. First time they just reset the system. The second time they replaced the OPDS. The Service guy claims that whenever the SRS light comes on the airbags are disabled.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:59 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "doohickey" or OPDS is not really hard to put in- the tech just has to be careful The "side- airbag" light is supposed to come on to indicate that the passenger is leaning in the path of the side airbag- the occupant position sensor detects this and the control unit will then diable the side airbag. When the red SRS light comes on, that means the controller has seen a problem in the airbag or seatbelt system and has turned off the complete airbag system. That means that if you have an accident when that light is on, the airbags won't deploy. You should have the red SRS checked as soon as possible.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:59 PM

that was my doohickey too!

picking up my baby tonight, hopefully they did a good job with the replacement...