Spurned by IS300 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 09:13 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spurned by IS300 owner!

So I'm about the 30th car in line to enter the freeway and by the time I get up to the entrance some dude in his IS300 is being one of "those guys"--you know, the ones that shoot all the way to the front of the line and then expect that it is their Gog-given right to get in front of you and get on the entrance ramp. So, I figure what the hell. I give the guy in the IS300 the benefit of the doubt and slow markedly and obviously to let this guy in, even though he didn't even come close to waiting his turn. I just kinda wanted to see how he would respond....

Well, you guessed it, not a single ounce of acknowledgement for me going out of my way to let him in! What a punk. I think this IS300 has bread a whole new type of person--the young "I have a baby-Lexus and you should admire me" kind of personality. Please--get a GS430 and then maybe--however, at that point the GS430 owner doesn't need to prove anything.
What a loser. These are the type of people that cause traffic to slow even when it shouldn't have to.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 03-27-2001, 09:40 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Those are the assholes that raise my auto insurance because of their RUDE driving habits ! And you know, everytime I see that IS300, I SEE A COROLLA ! Anyone else see a resemblance ? Yeah, yeah the CL looks like a Accord, I'd rather that than a dull Corolla !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-27-2001, 10:32 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hey Jon,
Mebbe he was afraid you'd blow his freakin' doors off!

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 03-28-2001, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
There's a section of road on the way home that 3 transitions into a 2 lane hwy. As we cross the intersection (green light) and the right lane begins to taper into my lane a civic comes flying up and he's going to cut me off. I spot him while he's still about 5+ cars behind me and I bury the pedal as
I'm not in a mood to for any evasive manuveurs. I match his speed quickly and he falls in behind me. He stayed a respectable distance away from me the rest of the way home. Jerk.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 03-28-2001, 12:29 AM
Fight On SC!

i f*cken hate those cars and the people that drive them. they think their shit don't stink.

superdds
Old 03-28-2001, 04:32 AM
Pro

I think some of you guys are injecting too much of your own prejudices into this instance. How many jerks do you see on the roads everyday? So do you go about pop-psyching every time and conclude that "well, so-and-so car, because of what it is, has brought out a type of flaw in people that go for them, and they're all now d!ckheads that deserve to be hated, and the car too, since it made them into these d!ckheads"?

How valid is that conclusion?

Listen to yourselves, people.

Do you really know that many IS300 drivers to conclude anything about any significant proportion of them as a whole?

Do you realize that so much of your disdain is really only based on your disagreement with our taste in cars, and your own speculation as to why we bought this car?

Say I'm walking on the street when a person of some arbitrary skin color mugs me. I'm pissed, of course, but the only thing I really know about this guy is that arbitrary skin color. So I tell my friends about it. I can tell the story as many times as it pleases me to do so, and there'd be nothing wrong with that. But the moment I start concluding things about people of that arbitrary skin color because of this one thing that happened to me from one guy of that skin color is the moment I start stereotyping, and I don't think I need to explain to you guys why that's wrong.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 05:27 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
I think some of you guys are injecting too much of your own prejudices into this instance. How many jerks do you see on the roads everyday? So do you go about pop-psyching every time and conclude that "well, so-and-so car, because of what it is, has brought out a type of flaw in people that go for them, and they're all now d!ckheads that deserve to be hated, and the car too, since it made them into these d!ckheads"?

How valid is that conclusion?

Listen to yourselves, people.

Do you really know that many IS300 drivers to conclude anything about any significant proportion of them as a whole?

Do you realize that so much of your disdain is really only based on your disagreement with our taste in cars, and your own speculation as to why we bought this car?

Say I'm walking on the street when a person of some arbitrary skin color mugs me. I'm pissed, of course, but the only thing I really know about this guy is that arbitrary skin color. So I tell my friends about it. I can tell the story as many times as it pleases me to do so, and there'd be nothing wrong with that. But the moment I start concluding things about people of that arbitrary skin color because of this one thing that happened to me from one guy of that skin color is the moment I start stereotyping, and I don't think I need to explain to you guys why that's wrong.

</font>
There are some good points here, but the analogy does not hold water. We do not choose our race, gender or ethnicity. These aspects are not indicative of our personality, psychology, intelligence, creativity or style. It is foolish to generalize in this way. It is also morally wrong to do so.

This is different from coming to the conclusion that there seems to be lot of IS300's being driven by a55holes. While such a conclusion might (or might not) be foolish, depending on the sample size and the way the evidence was correlated, there is nothing morally wrong with such a conclusion.

Also, contrary to your assertion, I don't think anyone claimed the IS300 turns people into d!ckheads. I think the hypothesis is that d!ckheads choose some cars more often than other cars, which does not seem to be that startling a conclusion.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:31 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Water Rabbit:
There are some good points here, but the analogy does not hold water. We do not choose our race, gender or ethnicity. These aspects are not indicative of our personality, psychology, intelligence, creativity or style. It is foolish to generalize in this way. It is also morally wrong to do so.

This is different from coming to the conclusion that there seems to be lot of IS300's being driven by a55holes. While such a conclusion might (or might not) be foolish, depending on the sample size and the way the evidence was correlated, there is nothing morally wrong with such a conclusion.
</font>
You're misunderstanding the ethics of stereotyping. Stereotyping is not wrong simply because of the lack of correlation between the factor considered (race, gender, ethnicity, etc.) and the stereotype applied. A lack of correlation would only either disprove said stereotype or show the stereotype-holder to be stubborn to relinquish nonsense.

Stereotyping is wrong because it affects, usually negatively, how an individual of the stereotyped group is treated by the stereotype-holders. Stereotypes allow stereotype-holders to draw conclusions about an individual and act upon that conclusion without regard to the individual's actual merit. It is unfair to the stereotyped individual, and that is where the immorality lies.

Stereotyping people-of-color is unfair (and therefore wrong) to everyone/anyone in the stereotyped group that doesn't deserve the judgement and treatment that will result from the stereotype.

In parallel, stereotyping IS300 owners as d!ckheads is unfair (and therefore wrong) to the IS300 owners that aren't d!ckheads, but will be treated as such by the stereotype-holders.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Water Rabbit:
Also, contrary to your assertion, I don't think anyone claimed the IS300 turns people into d!ckheads. I think the hypothesis is that d!ckheads choose some cars more often than other cars, which does not seem to be that startling a conclusion.</font>
I dunno about that one.

"I think this IS300 has bread a whole new type of person--the young 'I have a baby-Lexus and you should admire me' kind of personality."

This certainly reads like he felt that the IS300 played a role in the development of said personality. And I also find "the young 'I have a Lexus and you should admire me' kind of personality" part particularly hard to jive with your version of the reading. You'd be asserting that that particularly-worded personality existed independent of and previous to actual ownership of a Lexus (hard to see), and that particular personality drew him to the IS300.

But let's assume JZ said it in less specific terms, and that your reinterpretation was indeed what he was hypothesizing. Is that then a justifiable conclusion? How can one hypothesize that a certain personality is drawn to a particular car?

Well, had he set-up a proper sampling of IS300 owners, applied some fantastic psychological test to determine d!ckheadhood and found statistically significant results, then he might be able to say that:

1. It seems like that there is a correlation between d!ckheadhood and owning an IS300, and...

2. Then he can propose a hypothesis of the relationship, which is that properties of the IS300 attracts d!ckheads.

But that's not the case. He's done it in reverse, which is:

1. Based on his experience with a d!ckhead in an IS300, he speculates that the IS300 turns people into d!ckheads (my reading), or that the IS300 attracts d!ckheads (your reading), and...

2. Concludes that a significant number of IS300 owners are d!ckheads.

And that doesn't hold water.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 09:48 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Dtew--save your long-winded breath. The fact is that in this instance it WAS an IS300 that I happened to be talking about. Second, I am not the only one that has noticed this behavior from IS300 owners (my first run-in was with a guy the DOUBLE PARKED in the first two spots of a mall parking lot. First off that's stupid, second off that just eggs people on to damage your car. I wonder if there is any coincidence to why so many people on IS300.net have had their cars keyed? Third, out of curiosity, and for laughs, I keep up with the IS300 site and the members there are some of the rudest people I have ever encountered--especially when dealing with new members. Often times newbies are treated like fraternity pledges over there. These are three of the many items that have helped mold my thoughts. Hey, I'm open for change--in fact, that is precisely why I went out of my way to let that dude in front of me that started this message.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next

[This message has been edited by JZ (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 10:39 AM
BC
nearsighted visionary

That was fun, thanks.

------------------
Satin Silver CLS
BMW K75S
Old 03-28-2001, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Take it to email if you'd like to discuss this further.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car