Spring settling...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001 | 04:55 PM
Rod
Drifting

Spring settling...

Why do many of you wait anywhere from 2 weeks to a month after getting your springs installed to get an alignment done? You say that this period allows the springs to settle, but what exactly do you mean by this? Does the ride height change by a noticeable amount within this time period?
Old 06-16-2001 | 05:06 PM
retired

Generally speaking springs do setle a slight amount as do the suspension bushings which need some time to adjsut to the lower ride height.Typically this settling ison the order of a quarter of an inch or so and is not a big deal.Some people prefer to wait untill two weeks have passed before aligning the car after it has been lowered.I have to say that I do not think this wait time is required and in fact we align the car immediately as the front toe settings are typically way off and should be set right away to avoid damaging the tires.You can always realign the car later if you think there is a problem but with toe settings going out of spec on an average of 20 to 30 mm total toe after lowering I would suggest you get the alignment done right away.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 06-16-2001 | 05:13 PM
Rod
Drifting

Thanks, Jens. I did get an alignment done right after the Comptech springs were installed, but I just wanted to know if I would necessarily have to go back in about a month to get things checked out. So from experience, I can expect my car to further lower in ride height about a quarter of an inch all the way around within a month or so?
Old 06-16-2001 | 05:16 PM
retired

That seems to be the avrage reported to me and what I have seen typically on cars we have modded at Park Ave Acura.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on