Soon to be CL-S 6MT owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be CL-S 6MT owner.

Hi, everyone. I would like to announce that I will be one of you by tomorrow.

I have a Anthracite 6-speed no navi, waiting for me at the Acura dealer. They gave me a good trade value for my 2001 Audi TT 225Q 6MT coupe. I am excited.

I have found that german cars are way overrated and am happy to be back in to the world of reliability.

The other cars I had looked at were Lexus GS (too expensive), Audi S4 (too expensive, reliability issues), and Infiniti G (can't stand interior).

The CL-S had the perfect combination (for me) of luxury, room, and performance. No ridiculous option packages. 6-speed was the clincher. Exterior is understated which I prefer (I am glad that the CL-S I found does NOT have chrome wheels or spoiler).

The Cleveland(Ohio) Acura dealer was obnoxious, but found a great dealer out of town.

My previous cars were TT, Supra, Eclipse GSX. I found the suspension to be somewhat floaty but totally acceptable. In addition, after visiting this incredible forum of knowledge, I have decided on CT springs and sway bar. This should make the CL-S perfect for me.

So anyways, wish me luck, I hope to be posting about my CL-S next week. Anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area know of a good place to get CT springs and sways installed?

Thanks to all.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice! I know you'll love the car.

The TT has had some issues over the years. It's a cool looking car, that's for sure.

Enjoy the CL6spd and break her in right. She'll thank you for it later.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats. Make sure to get some pics of your new baby when she gets in.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
good luck

welcome 2 the board
Old 07-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and welcome to the board!!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Congratulations! Welcome!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Congrat! I didn't thnk I'd ever see a TT switch to a lower priced car being the CLS. But can't agre with you more tha this is a geat bang for the buck. Welome to te board...

Oh yeah, and not t be off topic but do more research on your spring/sway selection.
I've got the CT Springs right now and they're surprisingly not all that low. The difference was minimal which is what I wanted at the time because of camber fears but man our CLs look so much better with a more aggessive drop. O yeah, and I noticed the CT springs still keep the carlooking a bitodd when larger wheels are added.

As for the sways, CTs are great but Eibachs are better ... j/k
Old 07-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Manny Tranny

Have fun! This car rocks!

Old 07-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome aboard. Although the car is a change in direction I am sure you will be satisfied.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:48 PM
CL 6 speeder

how did you like driving the TT? I test drove a few and thought I was driving a bathtub. Bad visablity issues. Also the 225 version had really bad turbo lag.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:56 AM
///M POWER

congrats and welcome

if u wanna drive all the way over here i know some one that will do your springs for $120
Old 07-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Safety Car

Welcome! and you're gonna love it!!!
make sure you hit that 6 speed color poll. another anthracite.
:P
Old 07-12-2003, 02:43 AM
Subie Dubie

Congrats and welcome. Get ready to start spending some $$ on mods, that's what we're here for
Old 07-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Nice choice. I also left the world of Audi "quirkiness" for something more reliable. The Acura is every bit as luxurious and very well built. Did you get your car in Cols? There were quite a few 6-speeds available and dealers are blowing them out cheap. I think you will love the CL. Congrats.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:32 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on your '03 CLS 6sp Anthracite... I agree with Red Rider... prepare yourself for spending lots of money on mods... this car begs to be modded...

I had an '01 CLS and left it fully stock and traded it in for the same car you're getting. Never felt motivated to do any mods until I got the 6speeder...

Now I'm running with CT springs/sways/intake/headers. Next month I'll upgrade to the CT axle-back/b-pipe/strutbar with konis... haven't made my mind up yet about the CT SC/Flywheel and brembo brake upgrade...
Old 07-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Congratulations and welcome! Oddly enough, I have now had ownership experiences with TWO 03 CLS 6 speeders. Version 1.0 was a silver, no navi no spoiler, and the car was great, no regrets. But I got my wheels re powder coated in a black/chrome finish that just screamed for anthricite. But this time, I got the navi and the spoiler. Being from Chicago, NW side, I had to go to Columbus Acura to acquire the car, which I did, and happy I did also.

Some advice for all of you, when I bought the silver beast, I was adamant on not wanting a navi, to cheap to pay the extra 2 large for it. But these are THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CARS, guys, an extra 2 grand won't kill you. I travel alot, and I find the device very helpful, intelligent and amusing, too!

If you do not travel from time to time, do not buy it. But at this "altitude" in the car game, at least check it out! It doesn't hurt, and everyone at work who has seen what my navi can do, now want it also (we all travel, alot). If Acura was smart, after you have setteled on a no navi car and a price, they should offer you a good dinner for two if you let them demo a navi to you. I bet their navi sales would double.

And about spoilers. This is my seventh acura since 1992, and only the silver 03 CLS6 did not have one. Two points:

On the first five, not one person said "nice spoiler. It makes the car." So, I figured, why bother?

When I had the silver one, I felt like I was driving around naked. I would not be TOTALLY happy with the new anthricite, if it was non spoilerized. And being TOTALLY happy about buying a new car is why we buy new cars, I guess. To each their own!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

I picked up my Anthracite CLS 6speed Saturday from Lindsay Acura in Columbus, OH. Robert responded quickly, honestly, and was friendly. He was just as nice in person. Though Columbus was a 120 mile drive each way, I felt a lot better dealing with Lindsay than with the local Motorcars monopoly in Cleveland.

I dropped off my TT and they checked it over and deducted $300 for a scratch which I felt more than reasonable. I found that they had included the trunk liner and wheel locks. The whole transaction took about an hour, and I was off my car.

Yes, the car feels floaty. It's a little bouncy in turns, but I think that has something to do with front wheel drive dynamics than anything else. However, I am in touch with Dean, and sways and springs should be on its way soon. After a couple days with the car, I am very pleased even without the comptech parts.

I have to get used to the clutch. It engages a lot higher than I am used to. In addition, I habitually have to push the clutch all the way in, so this is exagerrating the problem. I should have it down by the end of the week.

I have hardwired the V1 and put the remote on the column.

The wheels have been re-torqued, but they were more or less correctly torqued from the factory.

civic4982; I think the Comptech drop of 1-1.5" should be sufficient. I really don't want to see the body lower than that.

joeandcarol2; Actually, I never had much visibility problems with the TT. It feels like you will have problems, but you get used to it quickly. I actually have more problems with the humongous head rests on the back seats of A4's. Once you remember that your head will NOT fit through the window slit of a TT, it isn't too bad.
Turbo lag... <sigh> not much you can do about that. You get used to that, too.

dfreder; Regarding spoiler, I was REALLY upset when they made the spoiler mandatory on the TT. I just think the roundness at the back of the car is attractive. Also, I couldn't find much use for the NAV. I don't travel much outside of Cleveland, and when I do it is to a friends' houses which are usually in suburbs. In addition, I like the cleaner look without Navi. Maybe this is the reason I opted out of spoiler, too.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations on your CL! It's a great color and I'm sure you'll enjoy more the more you drive it! I'm looking to get the CT springs and sways treatment when I figure out if I want to do the shocks or not. Be sure to post some pics once those go on!