So..... I'm an idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009 | 06:28 PM
Safety Car

So..... I'm an idiot!

On my way home earlier, I was going up a pretty steep hill, my usual route. Almost every day on my way home I drive in sportshift, and today for whatever reason I decided to just have it in normal D5 (I'm sure some of you know where this is going..)

So when I start going up this steep incline, I give it quite a bit of gas (no WOT or anything), right about when it's automatically shifting into 3rd gear, my dumb ass though I had it in sportshift, so I nudged the shift upwards -- throwing it into neutral. The RPMs jumped to around 5k, and almost immediately I let go of the gas completely. I guess since I was on a hill my RPMs went down that much faster... I dunno. So I quick threw it back in D5 and kept going. The car never redlined.

The whole thing happened in about 2.5 seconds, probably was in neutral for less than a second, but I guess that doesn't really matter... For the rest of the car ride, my trans seemed to be shifting as usual, I couldn't really sense any problems... I'm almost expecting something to be fucked up, though.

So can anyone give me insight as to maybe what could potentially be messed up because of this? Anything in particular I should be be wary of (noises during shifting, etc?) Err... anything I'm forgetting? Help is much appreciated
Old 11-10-2009 | 06:38 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

ull be fine. happened to me too, thats why i drive MT. but if u keep doing that, u will mess the trans up. better to pull over, stop and put it in d5, than keep going
Old 11-10-2009 | 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Yeah since I thought it was in sportshift, I was pretty much already back in D5 before I noticed what I did. Pushed the shifter forward then nudged it back real quick, etc..

But I mostly asked because like I said it spiked up to about 5k RPMs. I recall you had a thread where you redlined (or came close? I forget) from missing a shift (?) and someone said something in the engine might have gotten warped.... ? I really don't know.... *shrugs*

and yeah! I already knew before today that my next car is definitely going to be a manual, regardless of the make/model.
Old 11-10-2009 | 06:53 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

its a manual, diff senario. i down shifted from 5th to second at 85-90mph. went past redline (bc its a manual) and it was bouncing off 9k rpm (pretty much off the little pin that sits their, but who knows what rpm i was really at). my stupid fault. o well. still drive semi ok, misfires and stalls from time to time.
Old 11-10-2009 | 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

you have started the timer that only activates when you are going up a hill, take the car out of drive, rev to 5K and then put the car back into gear all within 3 seconds. Once the timer reaches 0, your car will assplode into a bajillion peices along with the person driving the car at the time.

Good luck.................

naw man just kidding, no damage was done.
Old 11-10-2009 | 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Yeah I just wasn't really sure if the RPM spike, or throwing it into neutral while I was moving, would mess anything up. If it wasn't for you guys, I probably wouldn't be so paranoid about my glass trans!

But really, I used to drive a POS Ford and if you can believe it, the trans in that was a helluva lot more fragile than the CL's.
Old 11-10-2009 | 07:14 PM
DFW AREA,

Originally Posted by Rapture
Yeah since I thought it was in sportshift, I was pretty much already back in D5 before I noticed what I did. Pushed the shifter forward then nudged it back real quick, etc..

But I mostly asked because like I said it spiked up to about 5k RPMs. I recall you had a thread where you redlined (or came close? I forget) from missing a shift (?) and someone said something in the engine might have gotten warped.... ? I really don't know.... *shrugs*

and yeah! I already knew before today that my next car is definitely going to be a manual, regardless of the make/model.
i done this like 4 times already.. it sucks makes you worry for your tranny
Old 11-11-2009 | 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

i've done this before but after it went neutral, i left off the gas and braked to a stop before putting the tranny back to D5. Thats what you should do next time.
Old 11-11-2009 | 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Yeah like I said I thought I was in sportshift, so by the time I realized what I did, it was already back in D5 But yeah, I'll remember to do that next time.

In fact, to be safe I'll go 100% sportshift for the time being.