Should I get this Cl-s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 10:54 AM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get this Cl-s?

Well the time has come for me to move on from my first gen Cl. I was considering a 'Stang GT for a while but thought I would look for a Cl-s and try to keep it within the family.

I finally found one locally with less than 30000 miles and the guy wants 17k for it. It's a 2001 (automatic of course), but the car is flawless except for two small dings on the rear quarter.

My question is should I go for it? I loved driving the car as it was a gigantic step above what I have now, and the car shifted really smooth throughout each gear. I can't really find any Cl 6 speeds in my area in the budget that I have, which is a shame because I would have loved to have a manual. But this car is really clean and fairly cheap considering the shape its in, and there are a LOT of really nice 5AT Cl-s on this board.

So what do you guys think?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Despite popular opinion the CL-S in 5A format is a great car. Especially for what it cost new, let alone what you can get one for now. You've been on this board long enough to know what major problem might arise in this car. With 30k miles you have 70k left on the drive train warranty. That’s a long time.

If you drove it, liked it and exhausted the rest of the options for a car in your price range, then I'd say why not.

That being said you wrote that you really would prefer a manual car. In regards to a 6spd CL-S with a little time I’m sure one will pop up in your market with a price close to what you’re looking for.

So how quick do you need to get rid of your 1st gen? Can you wait till spring (even though you only have 1 season in TX anyway ) and see what shows up on the market?

I personally don't care for manuals but a lot of people on here seem to live and die by them. So if your one of those, I’d wait on pulling the trigger on this one because you may regret buying the 5A in the end. It’s possible a few months down the road you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't wait longer for a manual to show up. That’s the worse case scenario.

Just know that there will ALWAYS be a 5A CL-S on the market. Its never hurts to wait.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:49 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Good luck on your purchase. That's good mileage on an 01, the warranty time will be up before the mileage is up probably so check the In-service date. Keep in mind a certified one from a dealer will offer an extended warranty. I'd check closely why this car has low miles, sometimes it meands it was wrecked, etc or not driven for an extended time, sometimes not.
These days you can sometimes find 03 6 speeds at not too much more than 01s, but it takes a while. I love the 6 speed a lot.
Let me know if you want a test drive a 6 speed! I'm in Austin. no I'm not selling mine but be glad to let you look one over, before you commit to another automatic. IMO, it's really a different experience with the 6 speed. It's an excellent combo with the sweet engine!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new so maybe my thought doesn't matter but, if it is what you want and like me there are no acura dealers around then maybe you should. The price is decent and we all know about the car. if you can wait and there are some cl's around your area then i might shop. I had the to do serios shoping for mine (01 cl-s) but that is because there are no (acura) dealers for about 90 miles or so and i live in the center of basically an all-american atuo area and mass purduced cheap overseas cars. the car sounds good, and the miles make it even better, but i don't know your market. but you certanly wouldn't be screwing up buy purchasing this particular car.