Should I buy 6sp or 5at for my 16 yr old son?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 04:06 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a lot of people here might tell you not to do this, simply cause they never had these royalties at such a young age...its human nature to be just a bit jealous.

Your rolling on nice cars yourself, you must live in a nice house, you sure you wanna put a ugly car in your driveway?

I doubt it, I wouldnt.

All this bullshit about a 16 yeaar old needs to learn the value..blah blah blah..is bullshit. Everyone evolves and adapts to their environment, and giving your son a nice car, will only raise his standards in life. Your son wont get stupid, he will stilll KNOW he has to work to get better in life. And again, giving him a nice car at a young age, will make him work harder than if you were to get him a civic.

You get him a civic, hes gonna work hard enough to get a CL-S on his own in a few years...but if you give him a CL-S hes gonna work hard enough to be able to get a nice 5 series bmw, or a mercedes...etc.

You getting my drift?
Old 04-02-2002, 04:07 PM
01 CL-S

Yeah - go for RSX..and then a 5spd non-TypeS will be all he needs..
16 yr old car for me was a red Audi 5000 CS turbo

aww, miss "Ihnnie"
Old 04-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by mbeebe
Guys, guys, give him a break. Last time I checked this was a very safe car. If he gets in a wreck in a small POS he has a much better chance of dying. I don't think it is irresponsible at all.
Tell that to the people who lost friends on this board late last year when there were a slew of street racing accidents involving everything from the 1st Gen CL to the CL-S/TL-S. Cars being torn into pieces, etc.. Most of them were younger people. The car is safe when driven safely. Giving a young person this power when they still have a lot to learn behind the wheel is just dangerous, regardless of how good a kid someone is.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:08 PM
CLS SUCKS

My son just came up and told me that he wants to go drive the 6 speed tomorrow and see if he likes it. If he does, he is gonna think about it and go drive my friends Volvo S70. PRAYING FOR THE S70
Old 04-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
My father promised me a ferrari 328 GTS if I got straight A's my senior year high school. PLEASE don't flame me for this but I still couldn't do it. I was two A's off. I know he would have bought it too, that's the way he is, and hes got the $ to back it. I guess he must have really thought I could never do it ... He bought me a probe GT as a consolation prize. I loved it cus he bought it for me, but man what a POS that thing turned out to be. Anyway, that was kinda fast and I'm still alive and kickin.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by amirsafdari
a lot of people here might tell you not to do this, simply cause they never had these royalties at such a young age...its human nature to be just a bit jealous.

Your rolling on nice cars yourself, you must live in a nice house, you sure you wanna put a ugly car in your driveway?

I doubt it, I wouldnt.

All this bullshit about a 16 yeaar old needs to learn the value..blah blah blah..is bullshit. Everyone evolves and adapts to their environment, and giving your son a nice car, will only raise his standards in life. Your son wont get stupid, he will stilll KNOW he has to work to get better in life. And again, giving him a nice car at a young age, will make him work harder than if you were to get him a civic.

You get him a civic, hes gonna work hard enough to get a CL-S on his own in a few years...but if you give him a CL-S hes gonna work hard enough to be able to get a nice 5 series bmw, or a mercedes...etc.

You getting my drift?
okay....Amir is spoiled...
Old 04-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

What about the fact that he's going to wreck this car doing some immature bullshit (racing,DUI, both, ...) and injures himself and others? Almost everyone has some sort of crash in their younger years, most due to stupid driving. I agree that if you are dead set on a CL, a 6-speed is better simply because it allows for better overall control of the speed and braking of the car. But that's it. Otherwise it is just damn irresponsible to give this car such a powerful car and you will be held liable for the damage he causes with it. But, to each his own.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:18 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by moomaster_99
okay....Amir is spoiled...
hah

i'm really not..
Old 04-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by amirsafdari

hah

i'm really not..
Of course not...I know you have to send out those mail bombs to get paid....
Old 04-02-2002, 04:20 PM
Broke youngster :(

I am seventeen years old and I've been saving up since the beginning of my junior year to buy my CL-S. I finally bought it on sept 21st, with 8 grand of my own hard earned money and 4 grand help from my parents. I make the payments every month ($350) and never have been late. I work my ass off to get a car that nobody else has at my school and Im in love with it. ACURA screwed me over when I asked them if the manual was gonna come out, they said August of 02, so i didnt want to wait another whole year. I went and bought the 02 CLS in aegean blue. 6 months later, 6 speed comes out and its gonna cost me too much unless i get a huge sum of cash from somewhere, who knows where. I treat my car like its my baby, i wash and wax it every weekend, sometimes twice a week. the leather is treated, the dash, everything! When you truly pay for the car, you learn its value and treat it responsibly. My friend got an IS300, and crashed it the first week of senior year. He was soo close to dying, was in a coma for 2 days. If this is what you want to happen to your son, with mods and etc, I hope you trust your son greatly and believe that hes really responsible. IF not, please dont come back and tell us your son died or got into a bad accident. we will just have said:

I TOLD YA SO!

I would go with the 6 spd, if u feel that u can trust your son and he is responsible, if not, I would go auto for now, and maybe when he matures, he can get a bmw of greater power or so for his graduation present. for god sakes, hes only a late soph or junior, depending on bday. HE IS YOUNG. He hasnt even taken his drivers test.

Nick
Old 04-02-2002, 04:20 PM
CLS SUCKS

Originally posted by AtlCl
What about the fact that he's going to wreck this car doing some immature bullshit (racing,DUI, both, ...) and injures himself and others? Almost everyone has some sort of crash in their younger years, most due to stupid driving. I agree that if you are dead set on a CL, a 6-speed is better simply because it allows for better overall control of the speed and braking of the car. But that's it. Otherwise it is just damn irresponsible to give this car such a powerful car and you will be held liable for the damage he causes with it. But, to each his own.
Maybe I will just have to set a limiter on it to 60MPH and a rev limiter to 3500RPM
Old 04-02-2002, 04:22 PM

Don't put your son in this type of car for his sake, and other peoples' sake.

EVERY 16 year old male is going to get out and show off to his friends in a car like this. Its statistically proven, or else the insurance for a 60 year old man and a 16 year old would be the exact same price.

I'm 24, and I've driven all types of fast cars.

This car is, without a doubt, ENTIRELY too much automobile for a 16 year old to handle.

He's got no driving experience, yet you are putting him into a 260hp car STOCK?

It doesn't matter what type of income you have, if you want to get him something nice, get him a Mercedes E Class, or a BMW 528i. Those are great cars to start with.

OR

Do what my girlfriends parents did, and get him a nice sport UTE....She drives a Land Rover Discovery.

Go luxury over speed, seriously, for his sake and other drivers on the road's sake.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Cause stock sux.

It really all depends on the kid. Regardless of WHAT you get him...More than likely he'll race it and do stupid things with it at 16. Plus its a "learning car".

I've been driving Acura's ever since I started driving. Before my CL I had a Legend. I tore that transmission straight up trying to power slide into turns. Gave me an idea of what to and what not to do to cars. When I got my CL, I had such greater appreciation for it than I ever would have had if I had gotten it when I was 16.

It is painful seeing your buddies driving in new Bimmers and such...but cars really are something you have to learn to appreciate. Just buy something that is safe. If your hung b/t the 5AT and the 6-speed manual...get the 6 speed.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:24 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DUDE i got this car when i was 20 and i keep fucking it up..
It does not handle great but got alot of balls..
get him The CL-P w/navi and give him the $$ u saved to throw some Blink Blink rims on them..
Old 04-02-2002, 04:25 PM

I learned how to drive on a Nissan Quest XE. It was a great car to learn on, piled up my friends with it, but hey, it does not provoke racing or anything. Its totally safer than a reg car, but I wasnt spoiled, I got the car when it was passed down to me.

Nick
Old 04-02-2002, 04:26 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally posted by TypeSKid
Don't put your son in this type of car for his sake, and other peoples' sake.

EVERY 16 year old male is going to get out and show off to his friends in a car like this. Its statistically proven, or else the insurance for a 60 year old man and a 16 year old would be the exact same price.

I'm 24, and I've driven all types of fast cars.

This car is, without a doubt, ENTIRELY too much automobile for a 16 year old to handle.

He's got no driving experience, yet you are putting him into a 260hp car STOCK?

It doesn't matter what type of income you have, if you want to get him something nice, get him a Mercedes E Class, or a BMW 528i. Those are great cars to start with.

OR

Do what my girlfriends parents did, and get him a nice sport UTE....She drives a Land Rover Discovery.

Go luxury over speed, seriously, for his sake and other drivers on the road's sake.

AGreeD....

Too much car 4 me...LOL...
Old 04-02-2002, 04:29 PM
CLS SUCKS

I still am kind of clueless. Now I am thinking of getting him an MDX, 4Runner, or Envoy. If he wants that used Volvo, I am fine with it. If he wants the CL, I am still gonna try to sweet talk him into something else.
Real quick, he does have more driving experience than some 18yr olds. We drive to LA every couple of weeks to see his grandma (my wife HATES flying ) and every single time he drives to LA from here he does very well. Hes probably driven that about 20 times already, granted thats with his parents in the car, but still, I trust my son. We live in a community where he can drive to a friends house without me worrying about it. He has actually taken the Turbo out some times to a friends house and never had a problem. Now, if hes not gonna mess around in that, which I wouldve, I feel confident even though its my own car he wouldnt fool around in the CL. But who knows? He still has to make his decision.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:33 PM
I love my G sedan

Get him a RSX Type S, it would be a better choice for a 16 year old. Or probably a IS300 five speed.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

perhaps a good start would be to make him pay his own insurance adn then let HIM decide what he can afford......
Old 04-02-2002, 04:47 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get the CL-S 6SPEED no ifs ands or buts!!!
IF you get the RSX-S 6 SPEED he will get better gas milage and the mods will be ENDLESS!!!!
Old 04-02-2002, 05:10 PM
BMW Owner

Hi Wesley,

Good luck with your son. He's a lucky guy to get a new $30,000+ car while he's 16. I'd encourage you to provide him with some high-performance driving schools, so that he can learn how the car will react and what it can do in a safe environment.

Cars are like guns, in that in the hands of young people, they will be significantly less dangerous if the young person has an appreciation and respect for them. I don't think it's bad for a 16-year-old to own a shotgun, if that person has taken hunter safety courses, goes hunting with his dad, and has some very strict rules about owning the gun.

If you and your son take some driving schools together, talk about cars and learn to appreciate them together, he'll be much much less likely to hit me doing 130 on route 101 at midnight.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:17 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, you adopting???? I am very responsible and would drive the Porsche and the NSX with GREAT CARE!!!! Let me know, I am available for IMMEDIATE adoption!!!!

THANKS!!
Old 04-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Racer

Get him a Audi 1.8T Quattro 6spd, I crashed one of those into a
highway median at 60mph head on, and came out scratchless. I wasnt even buckled up...If it was an Acura RSX or some small piece of shit, I probably wouldnt be writing this e-mail today.
You have to consider the external factors of an accident, like someone else bumping into your sons car.Which happened in my case. I think the Quattro and stability system contributed greatly
in this particular accident, b/c my car came across 5 lanes of traffic
and did about 2 360's, a front wheel drive car would've have overturned...

Get him one of those and spend 400-500bucks on the APR chip, and that car will be almost as fast as Type S and very safe.
I think for a 16 year old it would be a more fun car to drive.
But if you decide to go with a CL, the get a 6spd...
Good luck!!!
Old 04-02-2002, 05:37 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i just turned 16 myself and i just got a 2001 CLS 5at (of course) but i love driving manual and if i were better at it and had the money i would have loved to get the 6mt. one question tho... is there alot of traffic on the way to his school? cause i've heard that manual gets to be a pain in the ass in traffic. and after the first year i've also heard it gets like second nature and then it doesnt become as fun (just what i have heard)

also i dont mean to rain on his parade but insurance for 6mt's are higher and even with a used acura 5at my mom and dad are paying outta the ass for insurance.

summary. if you want him to be......
happiest/more excited -> 6mt
safest and most affordable -> 5at
Old 04-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Racer

It doesn't sound like he is too concerned with being able to afford an insurance...
Old 04-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Red X

Originally posted by NSdriver1
I still am kind of clueless. Now I am thinking of getting him an MDX, 4Runner, or Envoy. If he wants that used Volvo, I am fine with it. If he wants the CL, I am still gonna try to sweet talk him into something else.
Real quick, he does have more driving experience than some 18yr olds. We drive to LA every couple of weeks to see his grandma (my wife HATES flying ) and every single time he drives to LA from here he does very well. Hes probably driven that about 20 times already, granted thats with his parents in the car, but still, I trust my son. We live in a community where he can drive to a friends house without me worrying about it. He has actually taken the Turbo out some times to a friends house and never had a problem. Now, if hes not gonna mess around in that, which I wouldve, I feel confident even though its my own car he wouldnt fool around in the CL. But who knows? He still has to make his decision.
from phoenix to l.a. is all freeway. and when every kid takes out their dads car, he doesn't dare to fuck it up. if he wants a fast car, get him one that handles better and smaller. the cl is very long and drives like a boat (without any mods). like i said before, get him an audi, or even a low end benz. the used volvo would probably be the best thing though.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

i can definately relate to this situation. my dad and i had a bet just like this. straight a's 8-10th grade and i get a new mustang cobra, my dream car at age 13-14. well at the end of 10th grade i had kept my end of the bargain. the night i got my grades back, we went out to dinner and had a long talk about how irresponsible it would be for him to buy me such a powerful and expensive car when i had just received my license. after some argueing, i agreed and he said that because he trusted my driving skills that i had been so responsible all these years, he would pay for half of an acura cl. i took it for a test drive and i loved it. to this day im happy that i didnt get that car because not only do i love my car now, but i can look forward to a faster new car some day that i will buy with all my own money. also, since i spent a lot of my own money on the car i can really understand the work involved to get the money and would never take my car for granted. i would never hold it against my dad to not keep his end of the bargain in this kind of bet and neither should your son. he should love and respect u no matter what and i think that getting him such an expensive car for his first is a bad decision. sorry for the long post but i hope it helps in your decision. a first gen cl is a nice car for a 16 year old and im very happy to have the privilege of owning one and i think your son would feel the same way.

(on the other side of the argument : a kid in my grade has a CL-S and has had one for a couple years and hes fine, kids with new mustang gts and z28s and saleens are the ones you really need to look out for, a kid in my grade has a GT and has already been in 3 (maybe 4) wrecks) i dont think the CL-S is TOO powerful a car for your son to handle but i think it's the principle of the situation that buying a $30000+ car for a first car may lead to disappointment down the road when he has to buy his own car (unless you continue to buy him cars his entire life) sorry for the lengthy post and if anyone actually read the whole thing im impressed.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:54 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

With the kind of income NSdriver1 seems to rake in, I don't really see his son showing off too often. My assumption is that the kid is educated at a nice institution, where all the kids drive decent cars, such as the CL, IS, 3-BMWs, etc. Of course, I may be completely wrong...

I'm making this assumption simply because that's how it is at my school. Like ItalionStallion, I am also 16 and go to his school. We go to a pretty well-rounded preparatory school in Tampa, where the families are incredibly rich, I'm not one of them. His CL will be the 5th one in our lot, a 6th coming soon from another 16 year-old. This is just an addition to the crazy multitude of vehicles at our school, among them - ISs, BMWs, Dubbed SUVs, Volvos, etc.

In no way am I bragging about what we spoiled children have in our lot, I'm just trying to maybe make the point that "showing off" may not be as big a problem as everyone seems to be portraying it to be. Though granted, there is ALWAYS going to be showing off with that nice a car - hell, I know I have.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say about that...Any opinions/comments welcome!
Old 04-02-2002, 07:04 PM

yes, i agree, it depends on where ur from. I went to school with kids driving new vettes, m3s, SLKs. My new 3 series was nothing at the lot. I would say get him a 6sp cause its safer than 5at if u know how to drive it.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:07 PM
Drifting

check out my thread.....buy my 2001 cls nav....

2001 CLS Nav...

Less muhla.....new tranny...
Old 04-02-2002, 08:16 PM

Hell, I would buy him a damn 5AT car, and tell my son to take it or leave it. If ya leave it, you are a spoiled little brat and you dont get a different car. You get some old POS and truly appreciate it.

PEACE OUT

Nick
Old 04-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are an irresponsible father

Don't lie to your kids? What kind of a father promises his 16 yo son a 260 hp speed machine? I guarentee you no matter how nice of a kid he is, all he is learning from this little episode is, 1) his father is a push over and probably spoiled his son all his life and that he should expect things from people 2) he doesn't have to take care of something that came to him free of charge b/c his daddy will probably bail him out of it if he got in an accident or a ticket 3) the CL-S goes FAST if you go WOT.

Don't kid yourself that you are teaching your son anything other than the fact that you are a softie and that he can pretty much have whatever he wants. If you really want him to learn the value of something, let him have any car he wants within reason but make him really earn it, not by getting good grades. I got straight A's and went to the top college in the country and bought myself this CL-S with my own money (mostly anyhow, not counting the bank's money 16 yo kids with nice cars only have one thing in common. Cocky attitudes, licence for accidents, and friends who will hang out with him all the time to get rides.

Get him an underpowered Jetta turbo diesel and that'll teach him responsibility (since he's gotta plan which places to get diesel and how far he can go between fill ups), maintainance (get him black so it'll get dirty fast) and the hard earned skills of hitting on girls w/ your own merits instead of flashing your car.

okay, now that i'm done preaching on the soap box. if you do get him the cl-s, get him the manual.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Like I said in the other thread..............

This whole thing is:
Old 04-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Instructor

OK, I won't tell you to get him a used Saturn, I'll just answer.

Six-Speed.

When my Grandpa got me my first car so I could drive to college--a 4-speed manual Honda Civic--he told me that automatics were for women and old men (he was including himself in that category). Consequently, I've never owned an automatic.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:48 PM
CLS SUCKS

Originally posted by Shawn S
Like I said in the other thread..............

This whole thing is:
Would you please care to tell me how this is BULLSHIT? Just because I love my son to death and would do anything for him, I am a pushover-weak father?? He knows what happens if he screws up on anything. Trying grounding your son the whole summer for missing his curfew. Trying sitting at the table with him till 7 at night when he is done with his homework to make sure he does it.
Also, my promise to my son was that he can have any car of his choice up to $30,000 if he had all A's by the time he was in the middle of his junior year (he is a grade ahead of normal) adn scored higher than a 1400 on his SAT. Weak?? I dont believe that is weak, I believe that is honesty on my part for getting him the car he wants up to $30,000. He did his part, time to do mine.
By the way, read the other post I left, he has a 1999 Volvo S70 as of tonight because thats what HE wanted.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did he score on the SAT?

Is this March's SAT? I'm not going to bother to check until they are mailed out. I feel it is waste of $13 to check early. I'm not applying for college just yet anyhow

Thanks! You are an excellent father - just unlucky and way too many flames I guess on your post.

Congratulations to your son!
Old 04-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
volvo, mercedes, what's the difference. certainly not better than a cl-s in any way.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mattg
volvo, mercedes, what's the difference. certainly not better than a cl-s in any way.
Well, Ill take this one side. Our car is better than a Volvo but SUCKS compared to a Mercedes. Sorry.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:04 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you please care to tell me how this is BULLSHIT? Just because I love my son to death and would do anything for him, I am a pushover-weak father?? He knows what happens if he screws up on anything. Trying grounding your son the whole summer for missing his curfew. Trying sitting at the table with him till 7 at night when he is done with his homework to make sure he does it.
Also, my promise to my son was that he can have any car of his choice up to $30,000 if he had all A's by the time he was in the middle of his junior year (he is a grade ahead of normal) adn scored higher than a 1400 on his SAT. Weak?? I dont believe that is weak, I believe that is honesty on my part for getting him the car he wants up to $30,000. He did his part, time to do mine.
By the way, read the other post I left, he has a 1999 Volvo S70 as of tonight because thats what HE wanted.
You're too stupid to even fabricate an intelligent son, son. If he chose a Volvo s70 4dr 'box on wheels' over a CLS he is mentally retarded. Run along little boy and go play with your imaginary cars.

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL
$10 says the guy who typed that is some 15 year old kid. He couldn't spell his own city correctly. "Pheonix?"
4pumped someone owes you 10 bucks.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Would you please care to tell me how this is BULLSHIT?
Way too many grammatical errors in your posts for a 42-year old “VP of Operations” buddy.

It just doesn’t read like you are who you say you are.
Most people in your so-called situation don’t come on a board like this and ask advice.
They just go to the dealership and open their wallet and buy something that looks nice.

If I’m wrong, I’m sorry, but it just doesn't add up in my book.

Since you bought a Mercedes…..oops I mean Volvo , I guess we will never know.

Shawn S

Quick Reply: Should I buy 6sp or 5at for my 16 yr old son?