shift lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 04:48 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift lock problem

Any one have a problem with the sensor that checks to make sure you have your foot on the break before you shift the car from park to drive or reverse? It went out on my old accord ('97) and I think the sensor on my CL-S is starting to go bad too. Tonight I had serveral occasions where I couldn't take the car out of park until I tried pressing the break like 5 or more times...eventually it would let me shift. Im sure it will be no problem getting it fixed at the dealer, but im just curious if this is a common problem with Hondas. Also, my accord had a little slot that I could stick a key in to "unlock" the shift lock allowing me to shift into drive/reverse even tho the sensor was broken. Does the CL-S have this?
Old 12-09-2001, 04:58 AM
Down The Of System

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh Oh, although I havn't heard of this problem with the "Tranny Problems" I hope and wish that this isnt a tranny problem with the CLS for you... hopefully this is something that can be fixed without much Transmission work..... I dont mean to scare you but being that the CL's have had so much bad luck with their tranny's I hope the best to you on this issue......
Old 12-09-2001, 07:20 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by ChopSuey
Uh Oh, although I havn't heard of this problem with the "Tranny Problems" I hope and wish that this isnt a tranny problem with the CLS for you... hopefully this is something that can be fixed without much Transmission work..... I dont mean to scare you but being that the CL's have had so much bad luck with their tranny's I hope the best to you on this issue......
Okay now the tranny is being blamed for everything.

Yes, that's just a sensor that is probably going bad. Yes, the CLS has a slot into which you can stick a screwdriver or something to shift it. No, I haven't heard if it's a common problem with Hondas or not.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:36 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ChopSuey
No, its not the transmission demon. Its just a faulty switch, pry the little box to the right of the shifter open w/ a screwdriver and shift to drive so you can go to your dealer and bitch.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:08 AM
www.drippinwet.com

might be the stop lamp switch, if someone is with you, see if you have brake lights when it happens
Old 12-09-2001, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
do you use the parking brake often? (while on brake pedal, put in 'n', put on p-brake, then let go of brake pedal, then put in 'p')

i use it 99% of the time and no problems taking it out of 'park', but when i don't use it that 1% of the time, it offers more resistance. from what i hear, if this happens often, it'll get tougher and tougher to take it out of park.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:06 PM
Racer

It actually started working again today. Pretty strange how problems come and go. Yesterday it locked up on me at least 5 times, today none. I did notice however when I press the brake pedal while in park you can hear a click inside the shifter. I guess this is the lock disengaging. Im assuming everyone elses makes this noise too?
Old 12-21-2001, 11:54 AM
Racer

acura_service, you were right. The shift lock problem reappeared and this time I checked the break lights when I apply the breaks and guess what... none of them light up I better be careful about people following too closely now! Im getting it fixed tomorrow tho, which is a good thing.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:53 PM
www.drippinwet.com

glad to be of help, be carefull driving it, maybe have them tow it in, better safe then sorry