Service Bulletins Number for Wraped Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 12:51 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service Bulletins Number for Wraped Brake Rotors?

Is there any Service Bulletins number for this defect, I can feel the steering wheels vibrates when brake evene from 50-60MPH!

I need to get that fixed in my next service trip.

Those who got that fixed what was the code number on the dealer work forms?
Old 08-08-2001, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe that there is a service bulletin.

I called up my service dept. yesterday and made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for my 18K oil change and I told them about the brakes, and they said that they would look at them and that they would either resurface or replace them for free under warranty for me, no questions asked.

I am very happy with the service I am receiving from David McDavid Acura in Plano.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

basically same for me, my service manager said that as soon as the "new and improved" rotors and pads come in, they are mine. it has been a while, but i do not care as it will be like getting replacement for free, iam at 12k miles.
i did ask them to note on their computer that i am owed this service. does not hurt to have it in writing.
for those reading this, you have to make a complaint about the shuddering, just be nice about it.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>Is there any Service Bulletins number for this defect, I can feel the steering wheels vibrates when brake evene from 50-60MPH!

I need to get that fixed in my next service trip.
</STRONG>
There is no service bulletin for brakes based on what I read from other members. However, some of the dealers might do it under warannty as complimentary, but its up to the dealer. It also depends how many miles you have on your car and whether you were doing hard braking.

Those who got that fixed what was the code number on the dealer work forms?

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: russianDude ]
Old 08-08-2001, 01:47 PM
Drifting

So there is in fact NEW and DIFFERENT pads and rotors that they are replacing them with What is the part # because i can start to feel the effects of them warping and I only have 7K on the car!!!
Old 08-08-2001, 01:49 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I just called Sunnyside Acura, the rep said resurface the rotors would cost $160 (maybe with new pads).

He said there is a service bulletin number for the TL rotors not CL, go figure!

He claimed also the that the rotor and pads are wearable items covered for 12K miles only...

Now, I am hosed unless we can come up with TSB# or code of those who did it under warrenty.

Oil change cost would be $21.95 instead of the $29.95 if I supply Synthetic Mobil-1.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Banned

My visit tomorrow will be another free one for me. I am pretty happy that I got the Customer Care plan, it is included in my car payments every month, so that is money that I don't have to save up and shell out. Plus I worked the math and I came out better with the plan then I would have if I were to pay for service.

So I get my 18K oil change and my brakes fixed for free.

NNH - when are you going in for service? If it is after Friday, I can see what they print on my receipt and let you know on Friday. If not, good luck bro.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
<STRONG>I just called Sunnyside Acura, the rep said resurface the rotors would cost $160 (maybe with new pads).

He claimed also the that the rotor and pads are wearable items covered for 12K miles only...

Now, I am hosed unless we can come up with TSB# or code of those who did it under warrenty.

Oil change cost would be $21.95 instead of the $29.95 if I supply Synthetic Mobil-1.</STRONG>
Thats sucks that rotors only covered up to 12K miles. I got 10K miles, and my rotors are fine so far, but I suspect they will go bad. Damn, resurfacing sucks, u can't just resurface your rotors every 12K miles.
So whats the problem with our breaks, pads or rotors, or both ?
Old 08-08-2001, 02:03 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by avengerjr:
<STRONG>....
NNH - when are you going in for service? If it is after Friday, I can see what they print on my receipt and let you know on Friday. If not, good luck bro.</STRONG>
I did not make an appointment yet, need to know about the warrentee service code, if any
Old 08-08-2001, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Why would there be a SB# on the TL and not the CL they have the same roters and pads ...right?? WTF!!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:24 PM
Banned

<STRONG>

I did not make an appointment yet, need to know about the warrentee service code, if any </STRONG>
If you still don't have an answer, I will post in this thread after my appointment tomorrow and let you know what....if any remarks they put down on my receipt.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:25 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I called the Service rep again and i pressed that the CL and TL has same rotor and pads parts and some CLS get that done under warentee and I would be geting the service cod by tommorrow, he said "I can try?" So, I said can you do it under warrentee.. he replied: "I will call the district service manager and see if I can get it serviced"...

I left him with my cell phone number, it's getting a bit better... hopefully I will hear from him soon.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:37 PM
Banned

<STRONG>I called the Service rep again and i pressed that the CL and TL has same rotor and pads parts and some CLS get that done under warentee and I would be geting the service cod by tommorrow, he said "I can try?" So, I said can you do it under warrentee.. he replied: "I will call the district service manager and see if I can get it serviced"...

I left him with my cell phone number, it's getting a bit better... hopefully I will hear from him soon.</STRONG>
Ok...sounds like it is getting better for you. Keep on them. I don't know why some dealerships are just hardasses and mine is the one who brought it up when I even mentioned the brakes, I didn't press or mention anything else.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
I know my brakes are going bad and I feel the shuddering when I brake and my car only has 4000 miles!!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:51 PM
'Cooter

i took my car in for service a few weeks ago and had my rotors machined...i had 7,950 miles on my baby, thus under warranty...here's what the invoice said...

Check vibration when braking advise:
Cause: 410820
410820 front brake disc (both) resurface using either kwik-way or snap on car brake
Lathe; measure disc total
814092 road test to verify repairs

now i dunno what "lathe" means or the "snap-on car brake," however i spoke with my service guy, and he indicated the kwik-way was the machined-way, and that's what they did...now, after looking extensively at the discs, they did such a sloppy, incompetent job...the grooves look ok in some places, and then they fudged it up in other places, and the grooves are twice as big, so u see like half-moon shaped grooves all over the place...looking at it is an eye soar...so my conclusion is if your service dep't is decent, and u're under warranty, it may b a good idea...otherwise, i'd reconsider...as far as the pads go, i suspect the new pads are being used on the '02 CL's and TL's after a certain production time...so they may take some time to get extra's out there to service dep'ts to put onto older CL's and TL's
Old 08-08-2001, 04:48 PM
Ace rider

I got my car serviced a few weeks ago, and my mileage was at 24,000 miles, so I doubt it's 12k. I think that's bull. My dealer machined the rotors and installed new pads for free. This is Stevens Creek Acura in Santa Clara.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:00 PM
Racer

My car only has 14k on it and I swear I feel a wobble when I hit the brakes. Does anyone have any experience with Nally Acura here in Atlanta?
Old 08-08-2001, 06:21 PM
Racer

Dude,

Call Acura Customer Service. 1-800-382-2238. They intervened on my behalf. My dealer wanted to charge $169 for resurfaceing and almost $300 for resurfacing and new pads. {I just had mine resurfaced}.

Plus, I think the more of us that complain to Acura, the quicker that service bulleting will come out for the CL!
Old 08-08-2001, 07:02 PM
Drifting

So what happens when they just resurface the rotors wont they just warp again??? DO they have different pads and rotors that they should put on instead??? What happens if you pay to get the work done and a month later they come out with the SB...do you get your money back????
Old 08-08-2001, 07:46 PM
Ace rider

The idea is that the new pads are different than the original and have less metal content to prevent warping.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:49 PM
Drifting

The way I look at it, is by them cuttng the rotors they are not fixing the problems. I would seriously suggest that you guys try to get them to replace the rotors. Id it the pads that are causing these issues or the rotors?

Spiro
Old 08-08-2001, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by HebrewNational:
<STRONG>My car only has 14k on it and I swear I feel a wobble when I hit the brakes. Does anyone have any experience with Nally Acura here in Atlanta?</STRONG>
I feel the same wobble, I got 23K miles. Never dealt with Nalley, I got mine from Ed Voyles, I'm due for service in a few weeks. i'll post how it goes.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:47 PM
Racer

Right on. Let us know how it all goes, are you going to mention the wobble to them?
Old 08-08-2001, 09:03 PM
www.drippinwet.com

<STRONG>I just called Sunnyside Acura, the rep said resurface the rotors would cost $160 (maybe with new pads).

Oil change cost would be $21.95 instead of the $29.95 if I supply Synthetic Mobil-1.</STRONG>
ok, the code you are referring to is an opcode (operation code) that is standard from any dealer, the opcode is what tells acura what was done to corrospond labor with or without any parts, this is not a secret code and does not imply any warranty, there may be a auth code that the dealers warranty administrator uses if it is goodwilled, but more than likely it will not show up on your bill, maybe a note at the bottom that says goodwill on rotors per service manager or something like that, probably no code
Old 08-08-2001, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Where do I find out about service bulletins? Is there a URL?
Old 08-10-2001, 11:05 AM
Banned

Update -

I dropped my car off at David McDavid Acura yesterday at 3:30pm (I had an appointment). I had planned on just waiting for my car, since I didn't have to go back to work, but they said it would take most of the rest of the day for them to get it done, so they give me a loaner (Integra). I asked them what all they were going to do for the brakes and my service advisor Neil said that they were going to replace the rotors and the pads under warranty. Plus I get my oil change and tire rotation.

So no charge. I called this morning, since they obviously didn't finish yesterday, and they said it would be done around lunchtime. It was on the rack being worked on at 7am, when they opened.

So, I don't have any codes or anything yet, but when I get the printout today, I will come back here and let you know what is on it.

Just wanted to let you guys know.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Thanks a bunch...let us know what the codes are when you get it back!!
Old 08-10-2001, 12:51 PM
Instructor

I just hope by the time this happens to me they will have the new/better pads in.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:57 PM

Thats BULLSHIT! Pohanka acura here in VA tried to pull that shit with me, and I got my money back.

THE TRUTH IS THIS, STATED BY ACURA:

ROTORS ARE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY UP TO 50K MILES!

Don't let them screw you over and if you are in Northern Virginia DON'T TAKE IT TO POHANKA ACURA!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

I took my car in last week to get the oil changed and have them look at my brakes. My car has almost 19,000 miles and they decided to replace the rotors and the pads under warranty. I'm taking my car in this afternoon to get the new rotors and pads put on. Supposedly, they are the same rotors but different pads.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

i just spoke to my service dept and they told me that both the pads and rotors are different. still on order though. only 2 sets have come in and went on other cl's. should have mine in a week. i will post whatever is available on service sheet when done, but will not be for 2 more weeks, sorry
Old 08-10-2001, 06:17 PM
Learn to swim

Originally posted by TypeSKid
<STRONG>

Thats BULLSHIT! Pohanka acura here in VA tried to pull that shit with me, and I got my money back.

Don't let them screw you over and if you are in Northern Virginia DON'T TAKE IT TO POHANKA ACURA!!!</STRONG>

Thanks for the info. I am about to go battle this out with my dealer. 20k miles and it's starting to shake when I hit the brakes.
The pads should wear out before the rotors do. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....
Old 08-11-2001, 12:46 PM
Instructor

We must notify NHTSA.dot.gov about the brake rotor warpage problems on our cars. Honda cars had brake rotor warpage problems for years. Cutting the brake rotors does not solve the warping problem. After cutting the rotors they will warp even more. The rotors have to be replaced with improved rotors and brake pads. We must demand new brake rotors and brake pads. not rotor cutting.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:05 PM
Instructor

I'm bringing my car in on Monday (8/13) to have them check the rotors. Radley Acura's (Northern VA) manager told me that they would turn the rotors if any warpage existed that was not within factory tolerance. This seems to be consistent with the "factory-bulletin" approach taken by one of the other dealers mentioned here. I'm pretty sure that Radley would eat the cost on that.

While it would be preferable to have NEW rotors installed, it's obvious that most dealers are not gonna do this out of the goodness of their hearts unless you press them hard or call Acura Customer Service (1-800-382-2238), and/or threaten a class-action law suit, or ...?

As you state, Honda (Acura) is notorious for using cheesy rotors that have a tendency to warp under hard driving. And you know that nobody in this forum would EVER drive their CL's THAT way. Gee, I paid extra $$$ for a CL Type S assuming it meant that its brakes would Stop the car. It's freakin' ridiculous to have to replace the front brakes with Brembos ($2,300 for just the parts)!!! An upgrade to different rotor vendor (say, $500-$800 for 4 cross-drilled rotors?) is a possibility; but why should we have to eat that cost too?

So, what's a reasonable CL-S person supposed to do? Do you really think NHTSA.dot.gov could make a difference in the short run or ever? Remember, Acura (Honda) is in this for the money, and their bottom line pretty much drives (no pun intended) their decision-making.

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-11-2001, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

The deal is...Acura knows...the first visit is resurfacing and new pads...the second offense is relacing rotors and new pads...
Burn em up boys....
Old 08-11-2001, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TypeSKid:
<STRONG>

Don't let them screw you over and if you are in Northern Virginia DON'T TAKE IT TO POHANKA ACURA!!!</STRONG>
TypeSKid,

Where does it state this rotor coverage up to 50k miles? I'm just curious because it seems that some dealers are not willing to cover this under warranty and consider this a "wear and tear" item.

I'm taking my car in on Monday. I haven't been happy with the braking for a few thousand miles now (I have 13k mi.) I experience shuddering when braking and the steering wheel vibration when braking at high speeds. Honda/Acura needs to get a lesson from BMW or Toyota/Lexus in the brake department!
Old 08-11-2001, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone going to the import show tomorrow in Detroit???
Old 08-11-2001, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

oops wrong post?
Old 08-12-2001, 07:00 PM
Banned

Alright, sorry this took so long.

There were no codes on my printout, but it did say that both the rotors and pads were replaced

It had my complaint of "Brakes Shimey" and under that it said "Replace brake rotors and pads, per service bulletin" but it listed no bulletin number. I asked them if they used brand new pads, and he said yes. The brakes feel much better and seem better than when they were new.

That is all the info that I have...sorry I didn't/couldn't get any codes

Hopefully everything works out for all of you.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:17 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by CLS899:
<STRONG>We must notify NHTSA.dot.gov about the brake rotor warpage problems on our cars. Honda cars had brake rotor warpage problems for years. Cutting the brake rotors does not solve the warping problem. After cutting the rotors they will warp even more. The rotors have to be replaced with improved rotors and brake pads. We must demand new brake rotors and brake pads. not rotor cutting.</STRONG>
when you are paying for it you can demand whatever you like, as long as it is being covered you will get what the acura service policy and procedure outlines

and while your at it calling the NHTSA, be sure to include almost any other vehicle out there besides acura, because i've seem brake pulsation on everything from MB to hyundai

i'm not bashing you guys or anything, but WTF, my car has a problem call the goverment??? remember cars WILL have problems they are thousands of electrical and mechanical parts (most bulit by the lowest bidder)put that into real world driving, and something is bound to go wrong sooner or later, if its covered. fine. if your out of warranty - pay. its that simple

Quick Reply: Service Bulletins Number for Wraped Brake Rotors?