serious discrepancy with odometers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serious discrepancy with odometers

I drove 950 miles yesterday in my 2002 CL-S along with a freind that followed in a big rental truck with all my belongings...before we left, we coordinated our trip odometers and took the exact same route the entire way from new york city to wisconsin. Over the duration of the trip the rental truck (2002 ford box truck) clocked in about 25 LESS miles than my acura CL-S did. And my freind had a global positioning system that showed that my odometer seems to be slightly wrong...my only guess is that acura uses the same odometers for the CL and CL-S and the 17 inch tires cause a small discrepancy that over time causes a HUGE discrepancy...at the rate its going...at 100,000 miles my car wil have clocked about an ADDITIONAL 2,500 miles!! also, my warrenty will expire 1,250 miles BEFORE 50,000 because of the discreapancy...has any one else noticed this problem??? it seems like total bullshit because i dont want my car to be clocking more miles than it really travels...but most likely its NOT an isolated incident...this is most likely a simple glitch or something that effects ALL CL-S..anyone else ever notice this???
Old 04-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Got BOOST????

post the size of ur tires and rims. that's the problem of ur mileage
Old 04-28-2002, 10:19 AM
Banned

my wheels and tires are stock!!! i think its because the stock CL rims are 16's and the stock CL-S are 17's...
Old 04-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jimcol711
my wheels and tires are stock!!! i think its because the stock CL rims are 16's and the stock CL-S are 17's...

Hmmmm, that's not good Unfortunately, my tires aren't stock.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Instructor

The CL 16" stock tires are slightly bigger than the CL-S 17" (+.9%) which means the CL-S odo would be reading more than you have actually travelled if the odo is tuned to the larger CL-P tires. Should work out to 1000 more miles at 100K.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:53 AM
Race Director

Unfortunately this is a fact of life with all cars. I'm not trying to be an ass but the discrepancy that you mentioned is not serious at all. Manufacturers are not required to built odometer that are exact. In fact, nothing on the planet is exact, why should the odometer be exact. A minor discrepancy is ok and legal. I'm thinking a major discrepancy would be if you drove 100 miles and your odometer read 150 miles. If you drove 100 miles and your odometer read 108, that's not major.

Yes over the huge lifetime that appears to add up but in fact it is not different than what's mentioned about, 100,000 miles with 108,000 miles is the same percentage. So have you been cheated by 8,000 miles? Not at all. Does the warranty explain that it terminated when the odometer reads 100,000 not when your car have travelled 100,000 actual road mileage over the natural terrain? It's not a conspiracy by car manufacturers to make more money either (like others have said in the past). If the major of claim came in between 100,000 - 108,000 miles, you might have a flimsy case at best but the fact is if you have warranty problems at 125,000 then odometer accuracy is not a problem. Besides manufacturers could show where they performed warranty service at 101,000 miles despite the actual reading or the accuracy.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it. I already know my odometer is a bit off and my speedometer is even bigger off. I realized I typed this post reading going back and rereading your exact discrepany (it might be bigger than 10%) but I was just quickly responding to your overall comments based on what this forum has already heard and answered in the past.

Is it an odometer glitch with the CL and CLS and tires? I don't know but overall it really doesn't matter that much. But I do understand your frustration with the excessive mileage especially if there's a lease involved. If you go 2,500 over your lease and don't want to pay extra and can prove inaccuracy, I'd say you have a individual [good] case.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro

maybne the trucks odometer was off and the cl was right
Old 04-28-2002, 11:23 AM
Banned

i just think it sucks because everything revolves around milage...trade in value, retail value, warrenty experation..and why should we get fucked out of an extra 1,250 miles on our warranty?? it just doesnt seem right...
Old 04-28-2002, 11:52 AM
2002 CLs w/Navi

the truck could have been the wrong one. You can test this buy hitting the mile markers on the highway, I'll try it soon.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:44 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Kensteele,
I think your arguement holds no water. Acura/Honda expects my payments to be exact every month. I can't tell them welllll my portfolio didn't do as well so the percentage of my budget i can devote to car payment won't be what you expect it to be. Even better, inflation went up but I'm only going to pay you my payment in 2001 dollar value.

Whether or not the dealer decides to perform a warranty service at 100k is irrelevant. Because i should not have to rely on the kindness of the dealer/manufacturer to fix something that is covered.

jimcol711,
You are exactly right.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Got BOOST????

the rim and tire size doesn't matter, just as long as the outer circumfrance is the same. ie. the diameter of the wheel and tire combo have to be the same
Old 04-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree with Zapata. It sounds like Ken works for Acura or something. Plus his friend had GPS so it pretty much correct. I doubt the GPS was wrong.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Then people could also get very tiny wheels to save miles. Couldn't you be hosing Acura then?
Old 04-28-2002, 01:53 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by KCPreki11
Then people could also get very tiny wheels to save miles. Couldn't you be hosing Acura then?
Of course but this is not what the discussion is about. We are talking about a business defrauding customers.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I know that, but i'm just saying it goes both ways.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
smaller tires, more rotations = more miles.

maybe you should replace your stock tires w/ 225/50-17. this could even up the odometer.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

So then bigger tires would be better?
Old 04-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Car and Driver (I think) had an article recently about speedometer/odometer accuracy. It was pretty interesting. GM had the most accurate guages, and German cars (BMW, Mercedes) all indicated speeds quite a bit higher than they were actually going. I think by law it can be over by a certain amount but can't be under at all. They had some interesting explainations for this, such as the laws in the various countries governing accuracy. The standard in the US was very vague and allows for a lot of innacuracy on guages. I'll try to find the article again, it was an interesting read.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Banned

I think that this is all very ridiculous on the part of Acura and all other car makers...i mean, come on...in this day and age, cant they get the technology right??? cant they just get it ACCURATE and not leave it with some discrepancy that will cause my warrenty..and EVERYONE on this boards' warrenty to expire early because they didnt feel like getting some decent components or computer technology that can ACCURATELY read mileage and speed?? its pathetic...downright pathetic...i just hope my car doesnt fuck up at 50,000 miles because TECHNICALLY ill still only have 47,500 miles....and i want to know EXACTLY if im doing 73 or 75....not "well my speedo says 75 but because of some bullshit lazy engineers and substandard and underdeveloped components, i MAY be doing somewhere between 70-80" that is just totally pathetic...
Old 04-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

:bitch,bitch,bitch:
Old 04-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by mattg
No kidding. They're bitching only because they can. Next thing you know they'll be bitching about how inaccurate the gasoline gauge is and the 50 cent air pressure gauge reading tire pressure and the amount of light emitted from the headlights being off and the wear on the brake pads being uneven. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Bottom line is you are not being defauded. And yes, I do work for Acura. Don't you know this by now? Everyone else on this board knows that I work for Acura based right down here in Kansas City, the Kansas Branch. Acura benefits from having your odometer being wrong, they make millions off of it....literally.

Zapata, there is no fraud. Period. I'm not even going to address those apparent comparisons you tried to make. You can payment to Honda as much or a little as you like based on your "finances", they'll make the adjustment accordingly, exactly as you agreed to in the contract. Bottom line, you have no damages whatever from an inaccurate odometer, if you can prove it, that's fine, otherwise, it's just talk, talk, talk.

I agree the odometer and speedometer is inaccurate.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Banned

im sorry if i want to be treated fairly by a company i do business with. im sorry if i want my warranty to last a FULL 50,000 miles...im sorry that i dont like the fact that an engineering mistake works in Acura's favor and cost all of us owners money when we trade our cars in, sell them, or may need warranty work. If you want to get fucked over then go right ahead and bend over and take it like a champ...i on the other hand am not going to sit back and act like its cool to get fucked over...sure, there isnt much i can do about it, but at least i have a voice with which i can make comments and complaints..especially when i am correct. If you think im just bitching and talking out of my ass, i apologize but id rather stand my ground and "talk out of my ass" than take it in the ass and accept the fact that im getting fucked over because a company was too cheap or lazy to offer an accurate odometer and speedometer.

:edit: and by the way there are DEFINATE damages from this odometer...trade in value drops with mileage, resale value drops with mileage...my warranty will expire faster...i could be speeding and get a ticket and not even REALIZE i was speeding because my odometer is off by 5 mph...it goes on and on..dont tell me there is no damage
Old 04-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Although my analogies weren't correct the crux of my arugment was so :P When they advertise that something is one way and it actually isn't then try and sell, that is fraud. I'm willing to accept it but it's wrong and for you people to defend it is WEAK. Grow a pair. Bitch, bitch, bitch, ok when you are making my monthly payments i'll shut up but until then

Originally posted by kensteele

No kidding. They're bitching only because they can. Next thing you know they'll be bitching about how inaccurate the gasoline gauge is and the 50 cent air pressure gauge reading tire pressure and the amount of light emitted from the headlights being off and the wear on the brake pads being uneven. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Bottom line is you are not being defauded. And yes, I do work for Acura. Don't you know this by now? Everyone else on this board knows that I work for Acura based right down here in Kansas City, the Kansas Branch. Acura benefits from having your odometer being wrong, they make millions off of it....literally.

Zapata, there is no fraud. Period. I'm not even going to address those apparent comparisons you tried to make. You can payment to Honda as much or a little as you like based on your "finances", they'll make the adjustment accordingly, exactly as you agreed to in the contract. Bottom line, you have no damages whatever from an inaccurate odometer, if you can prove it, that's fine, otherwise, it's just talk, talk, talk.

I agree the odometer and speedometer is inaccurate.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Adult Supervision

That's the last straw. First the wiper fluid, then the seatbelt retractors, then the squeaking moonroof and now an odometer that is not accurate. This is the last Acura I will ever buy!

-Ken, reading you response I said. Geez, that sounds like some cellular contract loophole language. LOL!
Old 04-28-2002, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Or….Another way of putting it:
Old 04-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Banned

Shawn, i hate to make this personal but i just cant fathom how you of all people would put a post like that...you are the most anal, self-centered person on this entire board...i mean come on, how many other people post pics of their car with the seat backs out? no one fucking cares...if anyone would be crying about this id figure it to be you because everything else on the blue blinger is sooooo much better than anyone elses car..dude, take a hint, we all have a fucking CL-S...you arent impressing us with your shit...and your attitude aint to impressive either...i know im not the only one that cringes when you start going on about how your shit is better than anyone else and how much money you have and how many DVD's you have and your TV is better than anyone and you have a speaker set up in your garage...jesus christ, this is the biggest example of someone compensating for the lack of something else ive ever seen..you must really be lacking in some form if you have to compensate for yourself with material bullshit...you cant take it with you buddy....i love this website and i love having conversations with the cool people here and getting info and everything but (again, im not alone here) you are easily the most obnoxious person ive ever seen on a message board...who the hell Zainos a car 7 times in 1 month???? i feel so sorry for your wife..your entire life is wrapped up in material bullshit and you spend all your time here justifying your purchases and bragging about everything you own...she must be miserable with you constantly in the garage fucking with the car...in case you didnt notice, a car is a material item....so is your tv and dvd collection (which by the way im sure is no where near as extensive as mine so you can kiss my ass with your "my dvd collection is the best" bullshit.) people like you make this board annoying when all your posts are so self-centered and competitive...how about you take a fucking break and go spend some time with your wife and take her on a trip or something instead of being a self-centered prick spending thousands on bullshit mods like ugly wheels for your car show her shes more important than the car...i can see a 20 year old single guy with the shit you have but come on...grow up...and stop being a dick around here bragging non-stop....whatever...now you can come back at me with some obnoxious bullshit but the truth is im right about you and alot of people agree whether they admit it or not. they dont have to speak up, i know who they are, and im sure others feel the same way too and dont say it...i just refuse to get down and suck your dick like some other people around here because when the day is done, you have the same car as i do with a fucking new tranny...
Old 04-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by jimcol711
im sorry if i want to be treated fairly by a company i do business with. im sorry if i want my warranty to last a FULL 50,000 miles...im sorry that i dont like the fact that an engineering mistake works in Acura's favor and cost all of us owners money when we trade our cars in, sell them, or may need warranty work. If you want to get fucked over then go right ahead and bend over and take it like a champ...i on the other hand am not going to sit back and act like its cool to get fucked over...sure, there isnt much i can do about it, but at least i have a voice with which i can make comments and complaints..especially when i am correct. If you think im just bitching and talking out of my ass, i apologize but id rather stand my ground and "talk out of my ass" than take it in the ass and accept the fact that im getting fucked over because a company was too cheap or lazy to offer an accurate odometer and speedometer.

:edit: and by the way there are DEFINATE damages from this odometer...trade in value drops with mileage, resale value drops with mileage...my warranty will expire faster...i could be speeding and get a ticket and not even REALIZE i was speeding because my odometer is off by 5 mph...it goes on and on..dont tell me there is no damage
Ok, I'll take the bait.

You drive your car for 57,000 miles; no problems whatsoever; warranty has now expired. Your warranty expires at 50,000. On the day you strike 50,000 miles, you believe your odometer actually should read 48,000 miles and you feel that your warranty is still in full force. No problems with your car still. Next month, you hit 52,000 miles on your odomotor which you believe is acutally 50,000. No problems yet with your car. Even though your warranty is really expired now, you feel your warranty expired early. And your damages are (in dollars, please)?

You finally get 70,000 miles on your car and you're ready to trade it in. The dealer say "Hey you have 70 big ones on this car, I'll give you $10k for it". You say "Hey wait a minute, I really only have 65k miles on this, I want $xx,000 for it". You make your best deal. Knowing that car trade-in values have brackets for mileage, you still feel cheated. Tell how much you lost on the trade-in value of this car (in dollars, please)?

So you're driving your car with 85,000 miles on it (you ended up keeping it because you couldn't get the "deal" you were looking for). As you drive the work, you still feel your odometer should read only 80,000 miles. You feel cheated. When you get into work, you call your lawyer. "I want to sue for $xx,xxx because my car doesn't seem to be as "valuable" as it really is because of the odometer inaccuracy." Tell me how much you will sue for (in dollars, please)?

While your frivolous lawsuit case is pending, you are driving back home on the freeway, the speed limit is 65 mph. Forgetting that your speedometer is dead wrong, you put the needle on 65 mph anyway, knowing that your car is traveling 77 mph. A state trooper clocks and pulls you over and writes you a ticket for $150. You go to court. "Your Honor, my speedometer is wrong." The judge says prove to me your speedometer is wrong, get it fixed and I'll dismiss the traffic citation. Relieved, you start to realize there are traffic laws on the books that mitigate speedometer errors with regard to speeding and make it fair for all law-abiding citizens who are victims of corporate auto-manufactureres out to steal their money by tampering with their odometers. Granted you spend some time in court, you took time off of work to go to court and see the mechanic, you have to get your equipment fixed, you suffered a little bit of embarrasment on the freeway; your damages are (in dollars, please)?

What are your other examples?
Old 04-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

jimcol711,

I’m crying now…….....….NOT.

Shawn S
Old 04-28-2002, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

A couple of days after I bought my CL-S, I thought the speedo was reading SLOW. It was showing 80mph, and I was passing cars all over the place. The next day I pulled out the GPS and did some testing. It seems that my speedo is very close to the truth. I must have had a bunch of slow-assed drivers around that night. Now my bike is a different story. It's about 7% off. That means every 100 miles = 107 miles on the clock ! 700 miles per 10K and 7k for every 100k !! 2.5%, as in the case stated here doesn't seem that bad. Also, most manufactures will stand behind thier product, even if it's just a little over the cut-off point. Also, did anyone mention the tire wear factor. It would be impossible to make an accurate speedo, unless you recalibrate frequently, due to tire wear.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

why would acura want their cars to depriciate faster? MAKES NO SENSE. Consumers dont like cars with bad deprications.

also

i am pretty sure if i had 55,000 miles, my car would still be covered under warranty (if you want to keep selling cars, you better keep existing customers happy).

if the tach and speedo is wrong, its not due to poor engineering, if anything its an overlooked MINOR problem.

i dont care about the odo

all i want is what they advertise in their commericals...

sidemarker
Old 04-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shawn S
jimcol711,

Shawn S

i guess that means that you are taking the hint...good
Old 04-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

This is a serious issue and a valid argument
because '99-01 TLs have had this very issue!

This problem was posted on a tech service bulletin
and was discussed on www.acura-tl.com long ago.

Now, could it happen to the CLS '02s? Given the history of the TL,
it is certainly a possibility.

Perhaps some TL people can shed more light on this.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Here is a link for futher reading:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...odometer+issue
Old 04-29-2002, 02:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S
jimcol711,

Shawn S

Shawn S, is that the best you could come up with? No offense, but with jimcol711's post, things became a little more interesting around here. I just thought you'd come up with a sharper reply than that (that's a compliment).
Old 04-29-2002, 06:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by GOOSE
Shawn S, is that the best you could come up with? No offense, but with jimcol711's post, things became a little more interesting around here. I just thought you'd come up with a sharper reply than that (that's a compliment).
Why take the bait ???
He degraded himself more then ME with that post.

Shawn S
Old 04-29-2002, 06:53 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Shawn,
You of all people! Before you got the 6MT, every other week you'd post something about Acura to listen and put something about. All the time it was something trashing sportshift and how it sucked. Now that everything is peachy keen in your world who the hell cares about anybody elses problems right?? Nothing personal, everybody has right to feel, but i'm just curious.

Ken,
It seems you're going to give every excuse in the world for Acura. Why?? You know everybody here will continue to drive their cars and be happy but that still doesn't excuse Acura for putting out a quality product that doesn't take accurate mileage readings.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:25 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
lol, this is ridiculous...

first off, jim... you need to step back a bit. you had no right to make it so personal with Shawn.

and yes... i agree with everyone who says this is senseless bitching.

if you are extremely concerned. take your car to acura and demand it be recalibrated...

but the fact is... damn near ALL car manufacturers do not have very accurate gauges. and until their all GPS based, they probably never will. ive read that BMW/Benz are off by the largest margins.

I also find it EXTREMELY funny that people like Zapata, who changed the diameter of their tires from stock, think they have anything to bitch about.

Do you realize you are VOLUNTARILY fucking up your odo/speedo readings?

some of you will find anything to bitch about
Old 04-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well said Soopa... keep the personal shit off the board and keep this on topic...

Speaking of on topic... in the US, any car sold here is allowed to be a certain percentage off on the odometer. It's not a big money making scam, it's just the way it is. Some manufacturers are over, some are under. Changing the tires will alter that a little, but on stock rollers, a certain percentage is totally acceptable and legal. I'll do a search to find all of the legal mumbo-jumbo and post the link. From the example Jim posted... it seems that your odo is only about 1.5% off.... that's actually very good as I think the national average is over 3%. For every ten miles your odo is off by one-tenth of a mile.... that seems fairly accurate to me. As Ken said... nothing is exact, but that's pretty darn close....
Old 04-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by soopa

I also find it EXTREMELY funny that people like Zapata, who changed the diameter of their tires from stock, think they have anything to bitch about.

Do you realize you are VOLUNTARILY fucking up your odo/speedo readings?

some of you will find anything to bitch about

Hey smart guy i never complained about MY car. Read the f'n post.

Unfortunately, my tires aren't stock.
Where in any of these posts did I ever complain about MY odometer being incorrect??????? I knew full well that changing to non-stock tires would fuck with the speed and mileage. READ!!!!! The posts and then respond.

Moreover, Jim didn't make anything personal. Jim simply cited the million and one examples of how shawnS is so anal about everything and on this particular issue shawnS turns around and criticizes other people for complaining about something that is WRONG with the car.

Quick Reply: serious discrepancy with odometers