Sell My Cl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:59 PM
East Oakland Representer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell My Cl?

OK, I VALUE THE OPINION OF THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM VERY MUCH. THAT BEING SAID, I NEED SOME INPUT. I HAVE HAD THIS CAR JUST OVER A YEAR AND HAVE JUST OVER 14000 MILES ON IT. I HAVE HAD THE TRANSMISSION WORKED ON TWICE ( NEVER REPLACED) AND I HAVE HAD MY CAR REPAINTED AT THE DEALERS EXPENSE. I REALLY LIKE MY CL-S BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE LOOKING STUPID A YEAR FROM NOW WHEN MY TRANNY GOES OUT ( I CAN FEEL IT NOW), THE MODEL IS DISCONTINUED, AND I CAN'T GET SHIT FOR MY CAR. THE VEHICLE IS PAID FOR SO I CAN PRETTY MUCH DO WHATEVER. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE G35 AND 350Z AS A REPLACEMENT. I WANT TO DO THIS WITHIN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS B4 MY TRANNY GIVES. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. ALL POSITIVE INPUT IS APPRECIATED. KEEP THE BULLSHIT TO YOURSELF
Old 03-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

STOP SHOUTING.... And no !!!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:09 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,633 Posts
What do you mean you cant get shit for your car? mods? replacement parts? I didnt understand that.

But either way, since your car is paid off then do what makes you happy. If you want to keep your cl then do it. if you think youd be happy going with nissan/infiniti then do that. Whatever floats your boat man! enjoy.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:16 PM
East Oakland Representer

Originally posted by sarlacc23
What do you mean you cant get shit for your car? mods? replacement parts? I didnt understand that.

But either way, since your car is paid off then do what makes you happy. If you want to keep your cl then do it. if you think youd be happy going with nissan/infiniti then do that. Whatever floats your boat man! enjoy.
I mean that the car is depriciating faster than I expected. once the model is replaced the deprecition will be greater. Not to mention the problems w/the tranny. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my car. I just feel that I could sell it and get something comprable without having to spend much more money. more miles+ new model= less value
Old 03-19-2003, 02:22 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by fulltrunk
I mean that the car is depriciating faster than I expected. once the model is replaced the deprecition will be greater. Not to mention the problems w/the tranny. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my car. I just feel that I could sell it and get something comprable without having to spend much more money. more miles+ new model= less value
cool. then get rid of it. Maybe find a 6spd cl and trade up for that, saem car no tranny problems. If you want change go test drive plenty of other cars out there that are great also. let us know what you get.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

I mean that the car is depriciating faster than I expected. once the model is replaced the deprecition will be greater.
The worst depreciation on ANY car happens in the first year or two.
Since you’ve already eaten that, NOW would be the WORST time to sell in my opinion.

Shawn S
Old 03-19-2003, 02:25 PM
East Oakland Representer

Originally posted by sarlacc23
cool. then get rid of it. Maybe find a 6spd cl and trade up for that, saem car no tranny problems. If you want change go test drive plenty of other cars out there that are great also. let us know what you get.
I had considered a 6spdcl. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
as soon as you drive your new car off the lot you'll lose around 4k$ so you selling your CL to avoid depreciation doesn't make much sense. Your other reasons for selling it are valid. I personally don't think anyone should have to put up with a transmission which could put your life in jeopardy if it fails under certain conditions.

btw asking a bunch of acura cl owners/enthusiasts if you should sell your CL might not be the best method to gather input on this decision. Research Z and the g35 internet forums and look at the feedback you find there on how owners enjoy their cars/what problems there are, etc...just don't assume the grass is always greener if you buy something 'new'. I personally love my Z. Best decision I could have made. Here's some Z forums youu should check out:

www.my350z.com
www.350zmotoring.com
Old 03-19-2003, 02:34 PM
East Oakland Representer

Originally posted by Shawn S
The worst depreciation on ANY car happens in the first year or two.
Since you’ve already eaten that, NOW would be the WORST time to sell in my opinion.

Shawn S
you've given some good advice over the past year so I respect your opinion. However, I know the more miles the car has the less it is worthm. I also know that used car buyers want the most warranty they can get. Trust me. I traded in a 97 C230 benz for this car and I went through it. The particular model I had experienced so many problems it was hard to sell (idle problems, exploding batteries). I know soon more trannies (including mine) will fail and this WILL effect resale value. Not to mention I don't want to be driving on the freeway and have my tranny give out. I don't know though we'll see.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:36 PM
East Oakland Representer

Originally posted by zeroday
as soon as you drive your new car off the lot you'll lose around 4k$ so you selling your CL to avoid depreciation doesn't make much sense. Your other reasons for selling it are valid. I personally don't think anyone should have to put up with a transmission which could put your life in jeopardy if it fails under certain conditions.

btw asking a bunch of acura cl owners/enthusiasts if you should sell your CL might not be the best method to gather input on this decision. Research Z and the g35 internet forums and look at the feedback you find there on how owners enjoy their cars/what problems there are, etc...just don't assume the grass is always greener if you buy something 'new'. I personally love my Z. Best decision I could have made. Here's some Z forums youu should check out:

www.my350z.com
www.350zmotoring.com
Thanks. You make a good point. btw have you noticed the difference in horsepower?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion I would trade for the CL-S 6 spd. The Coupe G35 is a nice car from outside but it's small, no trunk and some of the interior material is cheap and to pay top dollar above 35K for the car is a lot and second there is a waiting list of about 4 to 5 months before you get the car, wait for the hype to pass and then consider the car. Best of all you can trade for the CL 6 spd and its a different beast compare to the auto. If you can get 20 to 21K for the car and get the new 03 for about $27500 - $28000. You will be saving some money compare to the Infiniti G35 C.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Here's my $0.02...

You're gonna get people here saying "yeah, do it", and others saying "don't do it".

But it comes down to you. You already seem to know that you are going to take a hit on the resale if you sell. With that said, if you can handle the financial hit you'll take and you REALLY want to get rid of it, then do it. Would I do it? NOPE! But thats me.

I comes down to what you want. Several people here have jumped ship because of the tranny issue. You wouldn't be the first.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

I know the more miles the car has the less it is worth. I also know that used car buyers want the most warranty they can get.
Sure it’s gonna keep going down, but not as quickly as the first year or two.
You lose like 6-8 GRAND the first year and then much less every year thereafter.

So if you sell after ONE year you could lose 8, but if you sell after 3 years that value will go down maybe 10-12.

There are people here selling 2001’s with 30-40K mileage for the 18 to 20K range, while a one year old 2002 is only a few thousand more.
See where I’m going with this ?

Shawn S
Old 03-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Race Director

Thanks. You make a good point. btw have you noticed the difference in horsepower?
Keep in mind I had an Auto CLS and I went to a 6 speed manual, but yeah the power difference is very noticeable. Gobs of torque is available to you throughout the RPM range, not just a massive spike after ~4500 like the CLS. I don't want to get into CL vs Z/G35 too much though; it's been done before and the subject seems to spark flame wars around here and I don't want to turn your thread into flame fest 2003 .
Old 03-19-2003, 03:03 PM
East Oakland Representer

Originally posted by Shawn S
Sure it’s gonna keep going down, but not as quickly as the first year or two.
You lose like 6-8 GRAND the first year and then much less every year thereafter.

So if you sell after ONE year you could lose 8, but if you sell after 3 years that value will go down maybe 10-12.

There are people here selling 2001’s with 30-40K mileage for the 18 to 20K range, while a one year old 2002 is only a few thousand more.
See where I’m going with this ?

Shawn S
I can't argue with logic
Old 03-19-2003, 03:04 PM
East Oakland Representer

Keep in mind I had an Auto CLS and I went to a 6 speed manual, but yeah the power difference is very noticeable. Gobs of torque is available to you throughout the RPM range, not just a massive spike after ~4500 like the CLS. I don't want to get into CL vs Z/G35 too much though; it's been done before and the subject seems to spark flame wars around here and I don't want to turn your thread into flame fest 2003 .
I understand. thanks for the advice though. I will look into it
Old 03-19-2003, 03:10 PM
The Third Ball

Like i said there is the 6spd CLS

The 305z is an awesome choice/ G35C but I personally hate the interior

The RX-8 coming this aug? would be a great pick

330i with performance package is great

540i 6spd is absolutely amazing (friend has one)

and many more im not thinking of off the top of my head

There are a bunch to choose, just depends on what youre willing to spend post-trade/sale
Old 03-19-2003, 03:17 PM
whoXwanXsum

why are you worried with the tranny? we have a 100,000 mile warranty.
parts for the car??? it's not going ot become a classic if its discontinued. part will be there!

keep your car bro. you seem to be trippn out a bit.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:53 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Not sure about your assumptions on what will happen next year-parts, breakdown etc. Acura will supply stock parts for years.

For me, no, I would not want to keep a car that had trans problems, esp when new. If it were me and I was able to, I'd trade in for an 03 6 speed. but you seem to want to go Nissan.
I say sell before the resale goes even lower on the auto CLs. The discontinuing of the line is a plus to me. More rare, esp my 6 speed.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Banned

Its a no brainer. You just can't go wrong by get rid of your CL. G35c or 350z outperform CL in everyway and its RWD. They also have plenty of aftermaket parts. The CL value will drop even faster when more and more ppl find out that Acura discontinue CL. You don't need to put up w/Acura's crappy tranny and depriciation. Get a car that you can enjoy for years instead of driving in constant fear.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by nsxpowered
Its a no brainer. You just can't go wrong by get rid of your CL. G35c or 350z outperform CL in everyway and its RWD. They also have plenty of aftermaket parts. The CL value will drop even faster when more and more ppl find out that Acura discontinue CL. You don't need to put up w/Acura's crappy tranny and depriciation. Get a car that you can enjoy for years instead of driving in constant fear.
TOPGAYTRADER'S BACK FOLKS!!! Search for his ONLY other post...it's a link to topgay's website.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Banned

Guy I just traded my 02' CL-S with 20,700 k miles for a used 03' 6 speed with 2,600 and lost only $4,600. I had my 02' for a year and a half and put on over 20k miles. I look at it this way I leased my car for roughly $255.56 a month and now I just traded for a car Ill probably keep the 6 speed. Not only that but I owed so little at trade in that with a little more out of pocket money will bring my payments to high $300 for a 03' 6 speed type S.....too bad I couldn't get navi but there is always ALPINE which is better and can transfer to any car. Good luck with you choice.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
TOPGAYTRADER'S BACK FOLKS!!! Search for his ONLY other post...it's a link to topgay's website.
Ban the focker!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

www.my350z.com
www.350zmotoring.com
Hmm... I just had to click on the links... I couldn't help myself... damn... I wonder if the touring model is selling for less then MSRP... must stop... I love my CLS... but...
Old 03-19-2003, 07:52 PM
I love my G sedan

Since you are worrying about the transimission failure right now, and these worries will not go away, then I recommend you to get a replacement soon so you will feel safer to drive in the future. Both of your potential replacements are good choices in my opinion, but G35 coupe(if coupe is what you were talking about in your first thread) is better due to two extra seats and its perfect proportion.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
Since you are worrying about the transimission failure right now, and these worries will not go away, then I recommend you to get a replacement soon so you will feel safer to drive in the future. Both of your potential replacements are good choices in my opinion, but G35 coupe(if coupe is what you were talking about in your first thread) is better due to two extra seats and its perfect proportion.
a nicely equipped G35 can be had for $32,800 without navi but your go with any other package your looking at $36K. The Touring and track model 350Z are running around $34-35k.

Fulltrunk neither one of those cars is as comfortable as the CL-S I know I just went through this all this week. Thats it your cL-S has the most comfortable seats in any car except VolVo those are the #1...remember that any other car will not give you that. Even the Nissan salesman was impressed with the seats of my CL-S. Somthing to think about because that was one of the most deciding factors and remember the 6 speed are only limited #s so don't wait to long.