scratch on nav screen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 06:54 PM
jit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scratch on nav screen?

hello,

i've had my cls for about 3 weeks. i have been noticing there are quite a few fine, vertical scratches on my nav screen. it is only visible when the light source hit the screen in a certain angle (most visible when hit from the side). It is not visible at night. Didnt really pay attention to it before, but now it is getting on my nerve.
How many of you guys have this kind of problem? I've only cleaned my nav screen once, with the blue cloth provided with the car. The only reason I can think of that causes the scratch is some dude at the detail shop used the wrong material to clean the screen before the dealer hand me the car.. what do you guys think?
Old 02-09-2001, 07:02 PM
Race Director

I believe the screen is replaceable under warranty if you wish. I have a "spot" on my Navi screen also and as soon as I get another "spot" or streak, I think I may get a new screen if they can do the screen only and not the whole unit. Not sure about normal wear and tear but the small blemish I have appears to be a "defect".

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-09-2001, 07:05 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jit:
hello,

i've had my cls for about 3 weeks. i have been noticing there are quite a few fine, vertical scratches on my nav screen. it is only visible when the light source hit the screen in a certain angle (most visible when hit from the side). It is not visible at night. Didnt really pay attention to it before, but now it is getting on my nerve.
How many of you guys have this kind of problem? I've only cleaned my nav screen once, with the blue cloth provided with the car. The only reason I can think of that causes the scratch is some dude at the detail shop used the wrong material to clean the screen before the dealer hand me the car.. what do you guys think?
</font>

I have that same issue, I only notice it when the light hits it just right. Let me know if you get yours replaced. Its kind of a pain in the ass.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 02-09-2001, 07:05 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had one long nasty one , very fine as u described (horizontally). AS if it is a nail scratch.

I just live with it and try to forget about it. I do not of any solution so far. me too, I would love to hear of any.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:22 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Hi, I am new to the board, but have been checking out the posts for a while now.

JIT, I see you are from Atlanta. I think you and I are the only Atlantans on here.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:33 PM
jit
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chrisbert:
Hi, I am new to the board, but have been checking out the posts for a while now.

JIT, I see you are from Atlanta. I think you and I are the only Atlantans on here.
</font>
Chrisbert, I believe Scalbert is also a member from Atlanta. Mabye we can start a ATL meet once we find more CL owners. Welcome to the board, I have enjoyed it very much and learned a lot.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:49 PM
jit
Instructor

i am going to call the dealer next week to see what they can do. They still owe me a set of wheel locks and I haven't sent back their performance review sheet... maybe I can hold that against them
Old 02-09-2001, 08:24 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
My dealer scratched mine ! Bastard ! And NO I don't want to jerks messing with my dashboard !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 02-09-2001, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Since its a touch screen, should be similar to a palm pilot screen.

Just get a sheet of very thin clear vinyl. Cut it to fit the screen, and smooth it on.
When it gets dirty, just peel off and put on a new piece. This is what I do on my palm pilot touch screen, and that one I use the backs of pens on. No scratches in over a year of hard use.

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am
Old 02-10-2001, 03:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
that's a pretty nifty idea with the vinyl...where can one get that stuff?

i have a vertical scratch precisely parallel to the right side of the screen, 1/4" from the side, and a horizontal one precisely parallel to the bottom, 1/4" from the bottom...they were always there, but i don't want to bother with it as it's barely visible.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Race Director

You should be able to get the screen protector from any fine mass merchant (KMart, Target) or super-regional (Staples, Good Guys) or National retailer (Circuit City, Best Buy) or computer stores (CompUSA, Office Depot, Office Max).

They look fine on Handhelds or Palms but they look tacky (lousy) on Navis, TVs, and cellphones.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I want to get my screen replaced as I have a horizontal scratch that this girl put there with her fingernail (beotch!!!!!)

Does anyone know if they can replace JUST the screen? Or do they have to replace the entire unit.

I am taking my car to the dealer next saturday for it's first service (5000 miles) and would like to take care of this issue as well.

Thanks!

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on Stock 17" CL-S wheels