Scalberts Eyes Only.. !!! RES CLONE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 06:44 AM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scalberts Eyes Only.. !!! RES CLONE

Yeah like you all wouldnt look...

This may be of some help to you! lol send me a PM with email that can take a few meg worth of data and Ill send you all my AutoCAD files and renderings... All ya need is a CNC lathe that can take it LOL and a hunk of Aluminum... Im off to work and wont be back on till tonight...

Anybody else reading this.. ignore it... its just a figmant of your imagination....

yeah I know what Im starting here .... but the design will be a freebie to acl.com .. find your own machine shops

Chris
Old 02-11-2002, 08:14 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Check your PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have got email....
Old 02-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Old timer

That's pretty cool of you.

JZ, check your PM.

Oh and TMM - Quick question:

Would doing something like extrude honing the manifold create additional gains? And would it be worth an additional $350-400 (what I was quoted for EH-ing the manifold)?
Old 02-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

That is very nice!!! But I'll be turning mine on a mill the old fashion way, by hand. I have access to a few CNC shops but to keep costs down I'll just take a couple of evenings to work it.

BTW, one aspect is missing, there is a change in height on the center ridge. An offset of nearly 1/2" is needed in the right side. But I am sure that is in the 'extra' CAD prints...

I just tracked down some plate aluminum earlier, had to order it though. All local supply houses only had the 4' x 8' sheets, thats a bit more than I needed and I couldn't find a shop with extra. But sure, send on over the drawings, I'd love to see them...

But again, very nice!!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:54 PM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

Steve,

LOL yes the final specs to compensate for the deck height of the chamber division... I'll send them over later this evening to you.. But I admire your tenacity to do it the ole' fashioned way LOL always have a bit more control in the manufacturing that way

Nashua/JZ/Nova/Et al.. LOL

I'll send you folks the same later this evening..... The equipment is pretty abundant as everyone w/serious CNC equipment can use a standard drx or drw CAD file.. Some of the Lathes/Mills that Should def support it are:

Mazak Quick Turn 28 CNC
Mazak Quick Turn 15 CNC
Mazak Super Quick Turn 15
Ikegai FX 20N CNC
Clausing Engine Mazak AJV/32 605 Vertical CNC
Mazak AJV/32 405 Vertical CNC
Mazak Ultra H650 Horizontal CNC
Acer Vertical Mill Acer Mill
Super Max Vertical Mill
Enco Vertical MU
Gervinin Horizontal MU

When I get a hold of Soopa Ill see about posting the files locally somewhere...

As I am not asking for any money whatsoever for this and it is a freebie for anyone that is impatient enough to get some HP for less $$

All I ask is that someone post a thread AFTER they are happy with the gains they got (~10 HP and ~12Lbs+ depending on mods) and DONATE $5.00 to the Twin Towers Orphan Fund. I'm going on the honor system, I have no idea if anyone actually does this or not but I spent some 80+ hours on the CAD work here and think it would be a worthy fee to give a charity that could use it ..... No hair brained money making gimmick.. no scams... if you like what it does for you then do something for someone else

link for reference:

https://www3.security-one.com/ecomme...f/donation.htm
Old 02-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

One thing I noticed, if you bolt this RES Clone between the upper plate and the intake Manifold...

Can you put back the platisc cover... I guess something has to be done so the plastic cover would fit....

Please what do you think?
Old 02-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
One thing I noticed, if you bolt this RES Clone between the upper plate and the intake Manifold...

Can you put back the platisc cover... I guess something has to be done so the plastic cover would fit....

Please what do you think?
Nope, it wouldn't fit without modification. The two ends are covered by the plastic shroud and the very nature of this spacer would raise the entire unit. But nothing a few minutes of sniping wouldn't fix. But I think I'll wait until it is tested to start cutting plastic.

However, it probably won't provide gains anyway...
Old 02-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TheModMole
Steve,

LOL yes the final specs to compensate for the deck height of the chamber division... I'll send them over later this evening to you.. But I admire your tenacity to do it the ole' fashioned way LOL always have a bit more control in the manufacturing that way

Nashua/JZ/Nova/Et al.. LOL

I'll send you folks the same later this evening..... The equipment is pretty abundant as everyone w/serious CNC equipment can use a standard drx or drw CAD file.. Some of the Lathes/Mills that Should def support it are:

Mazak Quick Turn 28 CNC
Mazak Quick Turn 15 CNC
Mazak Super Quick Turn 15
Ikegai FX 20N CNC
Clausing Engine Mazak AJV/32 605 Vertical CNC
Mazak AJV/32 405 Vertical CNC
Mazak Ultra H650 Horizontal CNC
Acer Vertical Mill Acer Mill
Super Max Vertical Mill
Enco Vertical MU
Gervinin Horizontal MU

When I get a hold of Soopa Ill see about posting the files locally somewhere...

As I am not asking for any money whatsoever for this and it is a freebie for anyone that is impatient enough to get some HP for less $$

All I ask is that someone post a thread AFTER they are happy with the gains they got (~10 HP and ~12Lbs+ depending on mods) and DONATE $5.00 to the Twin Towers Orphan Fund. I'm going on the honor system, I have no idea if anyone actually does this or not but I spent some 80+ hours on the CAD work here and think it would be a worthy fee to give a charity that could use it ..... No hair brained money making gimmick.. no scams... if you like what it does for you then do something for someone else

link for reference:

https://www3.security-one.com/ecomme...f/donation.htm

IM me joekim1113
Old 02-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

IM me joekim1113
He's never online. PM him. :P
Old 02-11-2002, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Chris, I have a question....

Did you ever build this unit (perhaps I missed something)?

You mention HP/torque gains -- are these based on theory/modeling data or on an actual prototype. If on a prototype, do you have the temps that this was tested at *and* the dyno data?

TIA
Old 05-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

okay good news. I just found out this coworker that I worked w/ use to DESIGN and make custom parts for honda /camaro's and he had the 1st honda w/ a turbo kit in the 80's. and 1st camaro w/ a paxton supercharger. whell he has madd connections to people who can do CNC jobs and said if we get an initial drawing we can have it done.

All I need is some initial drawing like the one modmole posted.
and he's gonna do the REST!!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

better yet any one do CAD for a living??
Old 05-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

better yet any one do CAD for a living??
I do.
I’m quite proficient with AutoCAD 2002 and 3D Modeling.

And I deal with steel fabrication shops all the time.
Usually on much larger projects, but most shops have CNC machines for small parts.

Shawn S
Old 05-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Old timer

I'll give you $350 for a working, dyno-proven RES. That's $50 more than I'd give to the Original Imaginary RES. :P
Old 05-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Banned

NOVAwhiteTypeS:
I said this to another guy who was talking about doug and RES...I'll say it here too. Those guys that are doing our aluminum trim and sills have a CNC...a half a million dollar CNC...it cuts anything...from stainless steel to marble. And they can get the materials as well. It may be worth ya'lls time to talk to them and ask them if they can do it. If you want their contact info let me know.

Austin519
Old 05-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I might just supply the unit I made to someone to test since I seem to never be able to find the time. This would at least determine if a simple spacer plate produces any gains. If it does then producing such a part wouldn't be too difficult as sheet aluminum isn't too much and the milling work on it isn't significant.

In fact I feel that in 100 piece quantities it could sell for about $250, don't quote me on that.

It'll be two to three weeks before I can test it but in that time the car may be sold. If so, I would like to supply it to somone who will honestly test it and be open with the results.

BTW, I finally made the circuit board for the MMII guess... Everything worked as it should on the bench so the next step will be in the car testing. I guess I should keep the plate and test both as I have intended, just need the time...
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by scalbert
I might just supply the unit I made to someone to test since I seem to never be able to find the time. This would at least determine if a simple spacer plate produces any gains. If it does then producing such a part wouldn't be too difficult as sheet aluminum isn't too much and the milling work on it isn't significant.

In fact I feel that in 100 piece quantities it could sell for about $250, don't quote me on that.

It'll be two to three weeks before I can test it but in that time the car may be sold. If so, I would like to supply it to somone who will honestly test it and be open with the results.

BTW, I finally made the circuit board for the MMII guess... Everything worked as it should on the bench so the next step will be in the car testing. I guess I should keep the plate and test both as I have intended, just need the time...

I forget.. what car are you getting when you sell the CLS?

Also, I'd volunteer to test it but I'm busy as heck for the next three weeks and it might be better to find someone local who you can give it to in person so you don't have to pay shipping and all that. I'd also recommend it be someone who doesn't have headers so we can see the gain first for the majority of us who don't have headers. If there's no gain for us, then go ahead and see if it helps someone who has headers.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock
I forget.. what car are you getting when you sell the CLS?

Also, I'd volunteer to test it but I'm busy as heck for the next three weeks and it might be better to find someone local who you can give it to in person so you don't have to pay shipping and all that.
I agree, but it seems no one local wants to dyno their car, I have made several posts about potential sessions but no responses.

I'm getting an M Roadster and adding a Dinan blower... But I haven't recieved much response from the ad so I expect the CL-S will be in my garage for some time now.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Old timer

Wow M Roadster. Kickass.

I have a place I could dyno at, and I'd even be willing to do it but it wouldn't be until June so I'm sure there's someone who can do it before then.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Banned

scalbert:
I used to live in Atlanta...Dunwoody actually...and will be back around Atlanta...so I'd be interested in helping...and as you see I don't have headers....yet.

Austin519
Old 05-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Austin519
I used to live in Atlanta...Dunwoody actually...and will be back around Atlanta...so I'd be interested in helping...and as you see I don't have headers
When are you heading back??

The shop I'll use is in Smyrna, off Windy Hill, so not too far from you.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Shawn how bout you take the measurements and do a cad diagram then I'll pass it on to our CNC shop or you find someone or austin since he has contacts give it to him.

Lets get the ball rolling guys we got close to 5800 members, we gotta be able to make this w/out much difficulty, as we all know alot of people are willing to prepay.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Banned

scalbert:
Yeah I'll be back mid May...15th ish or whatever. Did no one see my post about the CNC machine and my trim guy except you NOVA? They don't need it prepaid, obviously, they're making fricking 400 sill kits and 100 trim kits without being prepaid...so if you have issues with the other place I'd at least ask them...maybe they can't do it but I think they can...especially if it's aluminum.

And yeah I know where Windy Hill Rd and Smyrna is...so let me know.

Austin519
Old 05-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Shawn how bout you take the measurements and do a cad diagram then I'll pass it on to our CNC shop or you find someone or austin since he has contacts give it to him.
Just scan a gasket and then raise it 23mm.

You will need to add the center cannel but I can help with that as I almost lost the rubber seal into the engine a couple of times...
Old 05-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

scalbert:
Yeah I'll be back mid May...15th ish or whatever. And yeah I know where Windy Hill Rd and Smyrna is...so let me know.
I'll drop ya a note when I get back in town near then and maybe we can set up a dual session at the dyno shop...
Old 05-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

K scalbert and austin get toghether make this magic work!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Geez, maybe I can recover my costs...
Old 05-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by JRock
I'll give you $350 for a working, dyno-proven RES. That's $50 more than I'd give to the Original Imaginary RES. :P
Giving him your money is probably not the safest bet.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:16 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

It sounds like you guys may actually have a plan to get this thing produced!! I really hope it happens..... Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help the process.

I'm in Chicago, so I don't think I can do much, except buy one as soon as they are actually available!!

Good Luck

DOM
Old 05-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Banned

scalbert:
Heh yes definitely! Just let me know man. It'd be cool to start another groupbuy . Lordy....

I should ask though...who's gonna pay for the dyno? Me? I don't mind fronting some cash...but uhm...as a warning...I don't have any

Austin519
Old 05-09-2002, 05:46 AM
Team Owner

I offered my CAD services once before and someone brought up that the other design was already under patent or something like that.

Plus, didn’t Chris (TheModMole) already do this piece in CAD?
That’s how the original JPG's in this thread were created.

If I can help with this (legally) let me know.

Shawn S
Old 05-09-2002, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

I should ask though...who's gonna pay for the dyno? Me? I don't mind fronting some cash...but uhm...as a warning...I don't have any
I planned on paying for mine but not another's. We'll see what we can work out when the time comes.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
Plus, didn’t Chris (TheModMole) already do this piece in CAD?
That’s how the original JPG's in this thread were created.
That was just a scan of a gasket and then imported into a CAD program. It is far from complete!!

You still need to add passages for the EGR gases. But the main aspect, and most important, is the addition of the center wall which would require extensive measurements, builds and rework. I made mine by hand so I could grind a little until it fit; can't do that in the computer.

One of the easiest methods might be to take mine and use it as a reference. But this is if it produces any measurable gains...
Old 05-09-2002, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
why couldnt you just use the factory plate , convert to cad than expand the air chambers and side wall up to desired height...making a complete unit that wouldnt utilize the factory plate as a hat????
Old 05-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
why couldnt you just use the factory plate , convert to cad than expand the air chambers and side wall up to desired height...making a complete unit that wouldnt utilize the factory plate as a hat????
That could certainly be done but would end up being about twice, if not more, milling work along with more material. But is definitely an option to look at once we detrmine what, if any, the gains are.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:23 AM
PunkRawker

im willing to lend my cad services too i use pro/e if anyone needs help....autodesk inventor and autocad too...proficient in all
Old 05-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Stealth Bomber

Wow if you guys pull this off I will be impressed!
Old 05-09-2002, 09:05 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by scalbert
I might just supply the unit I made to someone to test since I seem to never be able to find the time. This would at least determine if a simple spacer plate produces any gains. If it does then producing such a part wouldn't be too difficult as sheet aluminum isn't too much and the milling work on it isn't significant...
well, if ur willing to ship it to NY, i'd be willing to dyno it. i have a dyno shop by my work, and i can have it done within about a week
Old 05-09-2002, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

well, if ur willing to ship it to NY, i'd be willing to dyno it. i have a dyno shop by my work, and i can have it done within about a week
When I get back in town I'll see if I can get it done, but if not I might just ship it up to you...

Quick Reply: Scalberts Eyes Only.. !!! RES CLONE