SC430...Am I the only one who.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 11:16 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC430...Am I the only one who.....

...thinks the new SC430 is a hideous looking car? It is meant to compete with the Jaguar and the Mercedes--please, the horrific styling of the Lexus does not hold a candle to either one of those cars. I have seen pictures of the SC430, I have seen the SC430 at an auto show, and regardless of where I see it, my stomach is still turned by it. Anyone else not get what they were going for with this beast?

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 03-19-2001, 11:20 PM
Racer

you are no alone my friend, I hate that thing! I like the interior, but everything outside including the rims is just crap.

Give me S2000 (or the new M-roadster with the M3 engine) or give me death!

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
AeM cAi
Old 03-19-2001, 11:21 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the pictures of the Red press mobile their shuffling to all the magazines are hideous.

However, Ive seen this baby in person and it is jaw dropping.

Especially in a light color like silver or something.

Then again... I like the Audi TT.

And this is nothing but a copy of a TT... with a bit of a First Gen CL thrown in.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-19-2001, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
I think the pictures of the Red press mobile their shuffling to all the magazines are hideous.

However, Ive seen this baby in person and it is jaw dropping.

Especially in a light color like silver or something.

Then again... I like the Audi TT.

And this is nothing but a copy of a TT... with a bit of a First Gen CL thrown in.

</font>
Ya, I saw a red one today. Took a bunch of pics, let me know if anyone wants to see them. It was a press car but was in MINT condition. The retractable hard top was cool. Man, those rims are ugly, sorta cool it comes with 18" all around though. But why so boxy?

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.93 seconds
V-1 Hardwired, Comptech Sways on order
Old 03-19-2001, 11:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
i too think it's hideous. My mom has been holding out on getting a new car for about a year and a half now waiting for this to come out. The minute we saw it we all agreed it was horrid. Unfortunately now she's looking at the 330
Old 03-19-2001, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

The body designers were in fact sent to the French Riviera for inspiration. Any resemblence to a yacht is not coincidental. Personally I love the interior (wood wood wood) and while the design takes risks it does turn heads. Things like when the top is down the radio fascia is automatically hidden from tempted fingers is pretty cool. Also the sound system automatically readjusting to the accoustic change caused by a roofless environment floats my boat.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 03-19-2001, 11:41 PM
8th Gear

I think the SC430 is something you gotta look at in person. Pics dont do it justice. I just test drove one last week and I must say its one hell of a quick car. It "feels" faster than the GS400, but im not sure what the exact numbers are. Its probably the best car I've ever driven. And that includes various mercedes. The interior is really nice, but the exterior can use a little work. The back seats are useless. But its not like its terribly ugly. While on the test drive, i think every single person on the road were looking at the car. We got like 30 thumbs up from people, and like 2 cars almost got into an accident from staring too long. That really says something about the car. BTW the one I drove was red. Looked pretty good on it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LEXis (edited 03-19-2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro

I think it is pretty damn ugly myself. I am sure mecanicaly the car is awesome. I am sure it hauls too with that sweet lexus V-8, and I like the interior. I do like the use of wood, but the wood color on the car I have seen in magazines sucks . It looks cheap . I like the hardtop. But to tell you the truth , It dont compete, I could think of better ways to spend 60 K . CL-S convertible anyone

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S
San Marino red
non nav.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Lexis i think it's better looking in pics, when i first saw it in real life, i couldn't believe how abnormal it was. It's making me lose my lexus love, but they'll make that up when they start making that is coupe hatch thingy
Old 03-20-2001, 12:08 AM
Team Owner

I saw the SC-430 at the Philadelphia auto show a few weeks ago.
The fact that a HOT blond in a tiny LEATHER mini skirt was doing the presentation made the car look that much more “interesting” to me.

And to see that automatic top open/close is an engineering marvel.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-20-2001, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Well I saw it at the Philly Auto Show too!

(Hey, Shawn, if I knew you were going, we could have gotten together for lunch! Maybe next year.)

Anyway, I gotta agree with Shawn -- the BABE was HOT!!

The car was interesting, but there's the proverbial "something" about it that doesn't "do it" for me.

How about a convertible CL-S???

Now, THAT would be really nice!!
Old 03-20-2001, 12:22 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I saw it in Las Vegas at CES and the color was pearl. It was rather striking but it's not my taste (neither is the Audi TT) but both were beautiful at first glance but I don't think the design will stand up to time. It's so unusual that it doesn't add up for me.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 03-20-2001, 12:25 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

yep, its butt is butt ugly... what's up with the bulge on the trunk... oh i am sorry, that is not a trunk, since it is filled with the hard top.

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
Scrached three rims.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:57 AM
I love my CL-S

SC430 is way too heavy.....

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
cannon winter floor mats
Old 03-20-2001, 02:04 AM
Pro

If the SC430 had a 6-speed manual would more people here be interested in it? SC430 is heavy.. that is why it is slower than the GS400 and the GS430.. woulda been nice if they upped the hp a little bit.. at this point it is slower than an S2000 but a lot, lot more expensive, and just think of how fast an S2000 is with the Comptech supercharger..

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim
* soon Comptech springs and sways
* 5% tint rear side, back
Old 03-20-2001, 02:19 AM
Rx Master

i also thing that the car is fuckin ugly as hell. i saw it in red today and was soo not impressed that i am gettin less impressed with lexus and there cars, especially since the is300 is comin out with a sports wagon. how hideous id that thing. man it will look sweet when its in coupe or cabrolet, but wagon. yuck. i still love that gs430 and hope to get it next but the sc430 is ugly in any color, silver makes it look better and im only sayin that casue i love silver, my car is silver.
wg

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
hyperwhie highbeams and corner lights, and eyeball fogs. 620+ posts makes me still a freak on the old Cl page.
my cl-s http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786
Old 03-20-2001, 03:06 AM
Ricky Bobby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the Lexus is way to over done. They did not pull off the look like Mercedes did with the power hard top. The Lexus does not hold the lines very well. Also, it can not go near the looks of the BMW, it wins hands down also. Jag evens kills the Lexus on the looks of the car. If Lexus has great sell I will be shocked. They may sell at first, but I think a lot of them will be turned back in early due to people not happy with the looks.

------------------
2001 Type S NO Nav
White/Parchment/spoiler
20%metalized tint all around, 50% metalized tint on winshield, built in K40 front/rear radar, 12" Excursion Sub/amp, Comptech filter/headers

2000 Corvette
2000 Silverado
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500
1997 Mercedes Benz S500
1997 Porsche 911 turbo
1996 Accord EX V6
Old 03-20-2001, 03:08 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rp_carbiz:
Yes, the Lexus is way to over done. They did not pull off the look like Mercedes did with the power hard top. The Lexus does not hold the lines very well. Also, it can not go near the looks of the BMW, it wins hands down also. Jag evens kills the Lexus on the looks of the car. If Lexus has great sell I will be shocked. They may sell at first, but I think a lot of them will be turned back in early due to people not happy with the looks.

</font>

Did I read that right? You have tint on your windshield? Is that legal and do you have any pictures?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-20-2001, 03:23 AM
Ricky Bobby

Webtoker,
Yes, you read that right. I have 50% tint on my windshield. It is not legal, but it hardly has any color to it at all. I will try to take some pictures for you and post them. The only way you can see the tint is around the edge of the windshield. I will see if my camera will pick it up. It works wonderful at keeping heat out and blocking sun out a little. As soon as I put my car back together I will get you some pics. I have to get some other people some pics. I am putting a very complex security system in my car right now.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

Did I read that right? You have tint on your windshield? Is that legal and do you have any pictures?

</font>

------------------
2001 Type S NO Nav
White/Parchment/spoiler
20%metalized tint all around, 50% metalized tint on winshield, built in K40 front/rear radar, 12" Excursion Sub/amp, Comptech filter/headers

2000 Corvette
2000 Silverado
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500
1997 Mercedes Benz S500
1997 Porsche 911 turbo
1996 Accord EX V6
Old 03-20-2001, 03:26 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rp_carbiz:
Webtoker,
Yes, you read that right. I have 50% tint on my windshield. It is not legal, but it hardly has any color to it at all. I will try to take some pictures for you and post them. The only way you can see the tint is around the edge of the windshield. I will see if my camera will pick it up. It works wonderful at keeping heat out and blocking sun out a little. As soon as I put my car back together I will get you some pics. I have to get some other people some pics. I am putting a very complex security system in my car right now.

</font>
I have a Clifford G4 Solaris with remote start and I love it. What alarm are you having put in?
Old 03-20-2001, 03:35 AM
Instructor

My wife is in love with that car we saw it at the DC auto show and now its all she talks about

------------------
CL-S BLK on BLK
Navi,mudgaurds,
spoiler,NUspeed crappy springs dropped 1 3/4 in ,35%,sitting on 19" Altstadts & Nitto 555 235/35/19s
Comptech headers and sways.
GReddy Dual MX exhaust
AEM custom CAI
Old 03-20-2001, 03:39 AM
Ricky Bobby

WebToker,
I am putting a CompuStar(2000 series) alarm system in my car as we speak. It is the first 2-way fm singal remote with LCD. Works over a 1/4 mile range, has pageing to tell you what is going on with car, auto start, all windows up/down, trunk, auto start, 24 hr mode, impact sen., cameras to keep tabs on car while armed, all parts have pins (hood,trunk,etc...). There is way to much to list at what my alarm will do. They have a cool website <www.compustar.org>. Check them out and let me know what you think!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
I have a Clifford G4 Solaris with remote start and I love it. What alarm are you having put in?</font>
------------------
2001 Type S NO Nav
White/Parchment/spoiler

2000 Corvette
2000 Silverado
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500
1997 Mercedes Benz S500
1997 Porsche 911 turbo
1996 Accord EX V6

[This message has been edited by rp_carbiz (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 03:42 AM
Drifting

Sounds fucking pimp, do you have the URL?
Old 03-20-2001, 01:41 PM
Learn to swim

I thought it looked ok in pictures. Saw one in person last weekend. That car is one body line away from a Haundai Tiberon. It is a pretty ugly car. I would rather have a Boxter S any day.....

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-20-2001, 02:35 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I'm glad I'm not alone. There are some cars that are daring (like when the TT was introduced) that look strange when you first see them but have nice lines. Eventually, while these cars may never make your hit list, they do become tolerable and the smooth lines are interesting. But, the SC430 has none of this smoothness to it. It does not flow well. It looks like a bunch of pieces were just thrown together.

Of course, technologically the car is great and the interior is nice. But come on. When I look at a CLK430 I see a thing of beauty. When I look at the Jaguar (although I'm not a huge Jag fan) I can also appreciate the car for what it is. When I look at the Lexus I just wanna know who the hell designed that thing and what kind of drugs they are on.

Head turner, maybe--but would you want to turn heads when the response coming out of them is, "What the hell was THAT?"

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 03-20-2001, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

I used to love the CLK. But, now just a little time after it has been out, it's starting to do what all Benz do. Look OLD. Plus the interior of the CLK disturbs me. They should rename it to Dodge CLK. I'm not liking the American influence to Mercedes (atleast their lower end cars). It's still a pretty car... but just doesn't look new.

Looking at the SC is like visiting an art museum. On the road I thought it was visually stunning. I have a feeling it'll grow on me quite a bit. I used to think the TT was ugly... now it just blends as an everyday car.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:42 PM
8th Gear

Here is the pic of the SC430 that I took on a test drive (not the exact same one, but the same color). I think this pic looks a lot better than a lot of the ones you guys have seen. I don't think it looks all that bad.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:42 PM
8th Gear

Woops, well here is the link

http://www.mp3ecstasy.com/sc430/image2.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by LEXis (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 10:03 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Closer:

</font>
hmmm...well, at least ya gotta admit that it's 'different'. i'm reserving my opinion till i see one in person--kinda like the back end...