RX-8 for that price, how do they sell any!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Stay or leave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RX-8 for that price, how do they sell any!

I went with my friend this weekend to check out some new cars, i'll just run down some:

The Acura TSX, wow let me say i'm really impressed. Everything about that car should have been in the CL. Gauge cluster, Navi, handling, just wish it had our Type S engine. Overall the car seemed very clean. would be a great family sedan

By the way if you want a cheap TL this is a freakin great time to buy one, they are giving them away, they were offering a 2003 Type S with Navi for 27 after everything. I mean even though i new body style is coming out that is amazing!

Anyways who cares about the rest of the cars we test drove, next is the Mazda RX-8. For all of you who like its looks, alright i'll stand beside you. But does anyone realize that first of all the automatic and the manual, which are way to similar in price differ in about 40 horsepower. I mean come on that is disgusting, and the loaded sticker is almost 40K. Who in there right mind would spend 40K on a mazda first of all. Second of all its not that fast for a sports car, although they are prasing themselves for the handling and style which is pretty nice. I'd say the only good thing about the car is the stock 18's which look great. Other then that the inside is cheap and old looking and the center consol goes all the way to the back seat. So you can not move from one side to the other in the rear of the car.

If they were smart they would have just brought the car back, made it 250 hp, maybe even only in stick, made it limited production, no freakin rear doors, and no damn huge consol.

Tell me people for gods sake would you spend 40K on this? I mean get real
Old 09-09-2003, 11:20 AM
'Cooter

2 issues stick out in my mind with Mazda...

1, rotory issues

2, advertised and actual hp figures differing (and im not talkin crank vs. wheel hp)
Old 09-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They do look awsome... if you look at it from the front or back...

From the side view, that car is fugly.... reminds of me of the "Ace and Gary-mobile"...
Old 09-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Scooter

1, rotory issues

2, advertised and actual hp figures differing (and im not talkin crank vs. wheel hp)
Rotary issues long gone, many years ago. People are racing Gen 1 RX7s & RX3s with 100K on them and no rebuilds. It's solid.

Agree with the rest of what you said and Reddly9007 is right. 40K?? No way.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:14 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter

1, rotory issues

Old 09-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
people pay 40k for EVO VIII when it first hit the showroom.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally posted by sgmotoring
people pay 40k for EVO VIII when it first hit the showroom.
crazy... 10 grand more and there goes the M3.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Yeah but damn your talking 10 grand more for an M3 like its pocket change, come on now.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:11 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

The "loaded" ones here go for 33K.
The center console goes all the way to the back because that is the "spine" of the car. It is one of the reasons why the car exceeds the rigidity benchmark set by BMW 3 series.
It is plenty fast for a sports car. 0-60 can be had in the high 5s, but more reasonable driving will produce low 6s.
It handles like it is on rails - partly due to the "huge console" you speak of.
The 4 doors help greatly with the insurance. They also make the back seats considerably more accessible than in my former CL-S.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
I too was thinking RX-8 but once I ran the numbers you're not far off the G35 C. Then I read about the poor gas mileage too. So for a little more the G is more refined, gets better mileage AND is faster. In my book the only reason for going with a smaller engine is to get better mileage but if it's worse than a larger one then forget it. I'd rather have a nice torquey engine. I also read that because of the wide range of rpm in the rotary the A/C compressor doesn't put out much at idle since it has to be calibrated to work best for a certain rpm range. Unless they drop the price I think they're going to have a hard time selling them.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:34 AM
Pro

Re: RX-8 for that price, how do they sell any!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reddly9007
[B]By the way if you want a cheap TL this is a freakin great time to buy one, they are giving them away, they were offering a 2003 Type S with Navi for 27 after everything. I mean even though i new body style is coming out that is amazing!
Do you have the dealer's name, loaction, and phone number on that TL price?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Outnumbered at home

Low 6's??? Doubt it. All the times I have seen are in the low sixes to high fives with a huge clutch dump at high revs. The C&D 5-60, a much more useful number, was in the high 6's or maybe even the sevens. That sucks for a "sports car" Sorry but if I am going to by a car for speed and handling would like to be able to just hit the go pedal and actually go. Not wait for the revs to build
Old 09-10-2003, 06:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 95gt
Low 6's??? Doubt it. All the times I have seen are in the low sixes to high fives with a huge clutch dump at high revs. The C&D 5-60, a much more useful number, was in the high 6's or maybe even the sevens. That sucks for a "sports car" Sorry but if I am going to by a car for speed and handling would like to be able to just hit the go pedal and actually go. Not wait for the revs to build
The two draw backs to a rotary - relatively low torque and poor gas mileage. Advantages are - very smooth and much fewer moving parts = longevity.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

???

are you kidding not that fast??..........have you test drover the 6speed........other than the 350z, the smooth power will out perform most cars.....it has a similar power band to the s2000............how do I know......been in both, driven both, and test drove alot of cars before I bought the 238hp 6speed mazda (pre-ordered)...........acura is a nice car, but the manual in the 8 is faster...................the infinti G35, 350Z are maybe the closest competitors, but are both more $$...............had an older acura and it was not as fast as the 8...........but I would not put it in the same class.........it amazes me how many people will not look at the facts before making posts..........I am still looking at a new acura possibly to replace my Jetta 1.8T for the winter, that is why I am here.....................great cars...........as far as 0-60, and 1/4 miles times......compare it to everything from the 350 Z, G35, BMW 330, 325, and it it right in the .....you call 0-60 in 6secs slow??.........the mazda is liek the s2000 as you have to hard launch it to get low times, but it goes like snot when it is run hard.............I guess everyone on these forums will have thier own opinions, but a friend of mine was lucky enough to get a Mazda 8 early, and I always bug him for a ride..........he has passed his break in stage and out on the highway from dead stop, it didn't take long to blow past 210kph on the odo, before slowing down........every test mag Europe and Northamerica have 0-60 times from 5.9secs -6.4secs.......5.9 unsing a 7000rpm clutch drop.....not something I plan on doing everyday.........this is not a straight line car, but probably not a true sports car like a 350Z, it is its own unique market.................but not fast?....my god......?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:48 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
Re: Re: RX-8 for that price, how do they sell any!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by louisn
[B]
Originally posted by Reddly9007

Do you have the dealer's name, loaction, and phone number on that TL price?

almost all of them. The 04 is about to come in, they want to get 03's off the lot. Don't look at the sticker price, walk in and name your own price
Old 09-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Rod
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: RX-8 for that price, how do they sell any!

Originally posted by CLpower
almost all of them. The 04 is about to come in, they want to get 03's off the lot. Don't look at the sticker price, walk in and name your own price
But $27K for a TL-S with Navi? That sounds damn good. I'd consider trading in my CL-S for that. Isn't that like 3-4 grand below invoice?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Stay or leave

I don't know the dealer, it was in Boca, FL. The sticker was for 34K and the guy goes and I quote if you want a cheaper car, I was looking at the TSX with a friend, then I could get you in a fully loaded 2003 TL with Navi type-S for 27K. Then he stated the obvious and talked about supply and demand, the TSX is new and we barely have any on our lot and everyone wants them, thats why were aren't budging on the price, but the TL is redesigned, and we have tons, and we're dumping them. Anyone who would pay close to sticker on a TL right now would be a total moron and deserves to get RIPPED OFF!

I would say its the best time to buy a car when they just remodeled it, as long as you can stand having an older body style but thats when you get the best deal!