RUST...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RUST...what to do?

Ok I know its not that big but I just found this spot that has a little rust from a chip in the paint. I have a paint pen to do touchups with that has color on one end and clear coat on the other. Is that all I need to should I do something more about the rust. I dont want it to get worse!

Old 09-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need to sand the spot down first until you see bare metal. Rust can get underneath paint so make sure you sand slightly around the area as well to make sure you didn't miss any. Use google to search for how-to guides.

Here's an example of one: http://doityourself.com/autorepair/s...tsmodelcar.htm
Old 09-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

I've used a Sanding Tool and Touch-Up Paint Applicators from Griot's Garage. I also have a 3M rust converter/primer pen.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Drifting

I will sand it with something on my dremil tool then...and Bluto that 3M pen where do you get that...like autozone or something?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally Posted by NOLACLS
I will sand it with something on my dremil tool then...and Bluto that 3M pen where do you get that...like autozone or something?

It was part of Griot's Touch-Up Kit, but I don't see it included anymore. I could not find is on 3Ms website.

If you can't find something in the consumer chain stores, check local automotive stores who cater to the weekend mechanic/redneck. Any kind of automotive primer will do. You could buy a can of spray primer, and spray it into a cup, and dab it on. I don't think touch-up paint can be applied to bare metal. Out paint is latex, not sure what the touch up stuff is. Primer will help fill the chip.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Drifting

cool thanks yall!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You can use an emery board to sand the area down. Be careful with the Dremel. They can do more harm than good.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Hmm that might be safer...I was going to put it on its lowest setting cuz I know I could really fuk things up with it on high.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Just make SURE you get it ALL out! All it takes is one molecule of ferric oxide to restart the process. It must be shiney silver completely, not shiney silver with a black spot or two.

I test paints and rate corrosion for a living. If you have any doubts, take it to a body shop. In fact, I would do that if I were you. 99% of the time, it will LOOK like it was repaired.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Bluto
It was part of Griot's Touch-Up Kit, but I don't see it included anymore. I could not find is on 3Ms website.

If you can't find something in the consumer chain stores, check local automotive stores who cater to the weekend mechanic/redneck. Any kind of automotive primer will do. You could buy a can of spray primer, and spray it into a cup, and dab it on. I don't think touch-up paint can be applied to bare metal. Out paint is latex, not sure what the touch up stuff is. Primer will help fill the chip.
I have this kit too.

The stuff in the pen is called 3M Rust Avenger. It 'convert's the rust to a primer coat. Personally, I'd brush/sand to metal, apply the Rust Avenger, and then touch up.

I'd monitor that spot constantly too. If any rust re-develops I'd probably also take it to a body shop to properly re-prep or repair the area.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

I was wondering the same thing (about the rust spots)
I don't trust myself using a "nail file" to sand it down...don't you think it will look bad?
But then again, is it worth taking to a body shop?
(I have a few paint chips on the end of my drivers side door)
Old 09-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Yeah I would rather bring it to a shop, but they will charge out the ying yang to fix that one itty bitty spot. I trust my self to use a nail file and get all the rust off and re painted. I know it will look like it was touched up but one day I will take it in for a few otehr spots that need some pro painting and then they can hook that spot up to make it look better.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by NOLACLS
Hmm that might be safer...I was going to put it on its lowest setting cuz I know I could really fuk things up with it on high.
No Dremel on the paint. Use an emory board or something small with sand paper over it. Shouldn't take much to get the rust off.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:50 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nothing works, i had rust on the fender of my TL, it was a bitch. I tried everything, i took it to a body shop, they sanded it and , and airbrused the area. It always came back. Just get the fender painted or replace it when you get tired of bubbled up paint. I love the acs, but Honda did a terrible job on the paint. So anyone with paint chips, dont wait, get the spot fixed right away.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Masshole

I just noticed I have the same exact rust spots on my poor CL. Instead of bringing it to a body shop, could I bring it to a place like Maaco, which would probably be cheaper?