Rubbing with SSR Comps & Toyos & Lowered...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 01:32 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing with SSR Comps & Toyos & Lowered...

For those considering the same setup as I have, I am experiencing minor rubbing problems on both front wheels. Of course, your mileage may vary.

My setup:
  • 17x8" SSR Competition wheels
  • 235/45 ZR17 Toyo Proxes T1-S
  • Comptech springs
  • Koni Sport shocks

I had the Comptech springs and Koni shocks installed at the same time in August, and just got the SSRs & Toyos about three weeks ago.

There are two rubbing marks on the top of both front wheel wells, towards the inside of the wheel. The rubbing only occurs when taking tight 90 degree turns (usually a right) around 25 MPH or so, and only when there is a small irregularity in the road surface that causes the suspension to compress more than it would if the surface was smooth.

I did notice on two occasions when driving fairly aggressively through twisty foothill roads before getting the SSRs and Toyos that I felt a "bottoming out" of the outer wheel during a sharp turn. The road surface in this case also had a bit of an irregularity, but not something I would describe as severe a pothole. I didn't consider at the time this occurred that there may have been an installation problem, just that I was driving the car very hard

I plan to take the car to the dealer where I had the Konis and Comptech springs installed and ask them to verify the installation was done properly. I have been advised by some experienced members here that the problem could be that the bump stops were cut when the installation is done. I will report back on what, if anything, I find.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:42 PM
Banned

Re: Rubbing with SSR Comps & Toyos & Lowered...

Originally posted by H@mmerm@n
For those considering the same setup as I have, I am experiencing minor rubbing problems on both front wheels. Of course, your mileage may vary.

My setup:
  • 17x8" SSR Competition wheels
  • 235/45 ZR17 Toyo Proxes T1-S
  • Comptech springs
  • Koni Sport shocks

I had the Comptech springs and Koni shocks installed at the same time in August, and just got the SSRs & Toyos about three weeks ago.

There are two rubbing marks on the top of both front wheel wells, towards the inside of the wheel. The rubbing only occurs when taking tight 90 degree turns (usually a right) around 25 MPH or so, and only when there is a small irregularity in the road surface that causes the suspension to compress more than it would if the surface was smooth.

I did notice on two occasions when driving fairly aggressively through twisty foothill roads before getting the SSRs and Toyos that I felt a "bottoming out" of the outer wheel during a sharp turn. The road surface in this case also had a bit of an irregularity, but not something I would describe as severe a pothole. I didn't consider at the time this occurred that there may have been an installation problem, just that I was driving the car very hard

I plan to take the car to the dealer where I had the Konis and Comptech springs installed and ask them to verify the installation was done properly. I have been advised by some experienced members here that the problem could be that the bump stops were cut when the installation is done. I will report back on what, if anything, I find.
The bump stops are supposed to be cut when you install the springs on the konis.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:38 PM
Drifting

To complete the information, what is the wheel offset?
tks..
Old 12-19-2001, 03:04 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
To complete the information, what is the wheel offset?
tks..
The offset is +48.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:11 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Re: Re: Rubbing with SSR Comps & Toyos & Lowered...

Originally posted by moomaster_99
The bump stops are supposed to be cut when you install the springs on the konis.
Moo, can you confirm that? I haven't found information anywhere that suggests the bump stops should be cut or not with Konis. On the Koni web site it indicates the following:

Q: How far can I safely lower my car?

A: KONIs are designed to fit standard height cars and can work with lowered cars as long as they don't bottom out internally and become damaged. Unlike some shocks, KONIs are not position sensitive so they will work properly anywhere in their stroke range providing they are not bottoming or topping out. Different vehicle suspension designs have different stroke travels but a good rule of thumb is that most vehicles can be lowered acceptably about 1 1/2 inches, beyond that the possibility of bottoming increases rapidly although some longer stroke cars can go lower. Most vehicles are equipped with bump stops to keep the shocks and springs from bottoming out. When lowering a vehicle be sure to reuse your bump stops as they are cheap insurance to avoid bottoming damage. Remember also that severely lowered vehicles typically also have a negative effect on suspension geometry, ride quality and handling, and tire and suspension part wear.

How much length is there to the stock bump stop? How much should be cut?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Better talk to Comptech before you cut the bump stops. My shop cut mine and I had problems w/rubbing and squeeking. I had the bump stops replaced and the rubbing and squeeking cleared up.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:35 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by Mike
Better talk to Comptech before you cut the bump stops. My shop cut mine and I had problems w/rubbing and squeeking. I had the bump stops replaced and the rubbing and squeeking cleared up.
Mike, thanks. Where does one get replacement bump stops? Any idea on what the uncut length is, so I can verify whether or not mine were cut?
Old 12-19-2001, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Dealer item. They cut ~1/2-3/4 inch if i remember correctly.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:40 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by Mike
Dealer item. They cut ~1/2-3/4 inch if i remember correctly.
Stupid question: your ride height didn't change after putting back on the uncut bump stops did it? Bump stops only are there to prevent the spring from bottoming out?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's a pic of the CL-S bump stop after I cut mine. That bottom part looks big but most of it is hollow so it just acts as a protective sheath for the shock. Only the top half-inch or so of that bottom part actually functions as a bump stop. As you can see, there are two rings that can easily be cut away. Each ring is just about a half inch thick. I tried removing one of the rings and it made absolutely zero difference in ride height with my front H&R OE Sports. On Comptechs, you might see some difference since they ride at least a half-inch lower to begin with.

If you are rubbing, I wouldn't think you'd want to cut them since that will allow even more drop (and even more rubbing). If yours have been cut and you don't have the original pieces to re-install, you can purchase a new bump stop from your dealer for around $15.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:07 PM
Banned

The bump stop cutting is listed in the install instructions for the springs. The reason being is that since your springs are now lower than stock...they require more travel. They are there as a protection for the shock in case you bottom out. They need to be cut because the strut now requires more travel.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

My H&R OE Sports came with a bright orange piece of paper that that said specifically *not* to cut the bumpstops. Comptechs may be different though. I called H&R about this and they said it wouldn't hurt to cut them but that the drop level may increase slightly.

If one is rubbing already, why would you want even more strut travel (with cut bumpstops) since that will cause even more rubbing?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:21 PM
Banned

Oh yeah...thanks for reminding me...it slipped my mind. When you hit the bump stops...it doesn't feel very nice...same feel as bottoming, but without the damage associated with it...since the springs lower the car....if you dont cut the bump stops...you'll be hitting the bump stop much more frequently. Hence a harsher ride. Does that answer the question?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bump stop cutting is listed in the install instructions for the springs. The reason being is that since your springs are now lower than stock...they require more travel. They are there as a protection for the shock in case you bottom out. They need to be cut because the strut now requires more travel.
Where in the heck did you see in Comptech's one sheet install info that states the bump stops need trimmed? I sure didn't see anything referencing that. I didn't cut my bump stops either, and have no troubles at all.

http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/921051.pdf

Jim
Old 12-19-2001, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mackdaddy

Where in the heck did you see in Comptech's one sheet install info that states the bump stops need trimmed? I sure didn't see anything referencing that. I didn't cut my bump stops either, and have no troubles at all.

http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/921051.pdf

Jim
Oh...dunno, I know i saw it on something...I don't have the Comptechs...but most springs do ask that you cut a bit off the bumpstop. I guess since your comptechs dont lower too much...it wont affect the strut travel.

All I am saying, is that lowering springs allow less travel on the stock strut...so, cutting the bump stop is a ride enhancing purpose. If it doesn't bother you...don't worry about it then. Bottom line...cutting some off the bumpstops is not going to cause rubbing issues, unless they were cut too much.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh...dunno, I know i saw it on something...I don't have the Comptechs...but most springs do ask that you cut a bit off the bumpstop. I guess since your comptechs dont lower too much...it wont affect the strut travel.

All I am saying, is that lowering springs allow less travel on the stock strut...so, cutting the bump stop is a ride enhancing purpose. If it doesn't bother you...don't worry about it then. Bottom line...cutting some off the bumpstops is not going to cause rubbing issues, unless they were cut too much.
I wasn't trying to be a dick, just thought maybe you'd seen something I didn't (ya scared me for a minute!) I did see on Comptech's Teg spring install sheet they do ask you to trim the bumpstops. But not Accord/CL/TL.

And I do understand your insight on most aftermarket lowering springs needing to trim the bumpy's. I guess Comptech engineered ours so it's not necc.

Jim
Old 12-19-2001, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mackdaddy

I wasn't trying to be a dick, just thought maybe you'd seen something I didn't (ya scared me for a minute!) I did see on Comptech's Teg spring install sheet they do ask you to trim the bumpstops. But not Accord/CL/TL.

And I do understand your insight on most aftermarket lowering springs needing to trim the bumpy's. I guess Comptech engineered ours so it's not necc.

Jim
ah...