Rough Idling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idling?

Need your help...I've got the '03 6-speed and was wondering if anyone has noticed that when your car is stopped (like at a light or when parked), do you experience the car shaking a bit rough?

Maybe I'm just anal and the car is supposed to vibrate a little, but I don't recall being in any car that really vibrates at a stop.

What do you think? Could probably live with it for now...it's a pain going to the dealer 'cause it's 30 miles away and I don't have the time.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Re: Rough Idling?

Originally posted by gsrblack
Need your help...I've got the '03 6-speed and was wondering if anyone has noticed that when your car is stopped (like at a light or when parked), do you experience the car shaking a bit rough?

Maybe I'm just anal and the car is supposed to vibrate a little, but I don't recall being in any car that really vibrates at a stop.

What do you think? Could probably live with it for now...it's a pain going to the dealer 'cause it's 30 miles away and I don't have the time.
Yo!! My cls just started that last month. I was thinking that it comes from not letting the car warm up enought in the moring. When the car get to the right temp. It does not do it no more. But I can be wrong. It only does that in the winter. But when I had an accord, it done the same thing, and I took it to the dealer and they turn up the idle. But that was different from the situation you and I are having now. Im going the take it the dealer next week and see why it does that. I know what you mean, the car feels like it's about to cut off.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Racer

Mine does the same thing - 1700 miles, 6 weeks old. I can't recall, but I don't think mine gets better as it warms up. It really just seems to idle roughly, almost like an old muscle car that had the timing adjusted.

What disturbed me most about it was when it was idling rough, I gunned it a few times (in neutral), and as the revs came back down it stalled.

On the flip side, I think that having the idle so low makes it extremely difficult to stall the vehicle on launch, which is nice.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Racer

My AT CLS does the same thing when the weather is cold. Seems like until the engine is completly warmed up, the idle is rough and bounces around some
Old 02-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Instructor

maybe...

Yea it has to do with warm up but remember CL is known for being a luxery SPORTS car. So if you guys know alot of sports cars.. there usually not the best ride or you will hear engine noises sometimes (which is normal). Thats why CL is also a little rougher ride then most other luxery cars b/c of its sports orgin. GOtta love the CL :P
Old 02-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

The idle on mine is not too bad...it's not like it's very strong and rough, but just slightly and it kind of annoys me. I'm in Arizona and it's not too cold outside anyways...although this week it's a little cooler than normal. But I will try to let it warm up first later today when I leave work and see how it drives.

useph_murray...keep us posted what the dealer says. Perhaps this isn't a problem and it's normal like what lilman is saying.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's fuel pressure. Mine varies as I adjust fuel pressure at idle.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Push the clutch in all of the way... :P
Old 02-14-2003, 02:07 PM
10th Gear

If it happens after some miles have been put on it (especially some hard ones) and the rough idle improves with some throttle, I think of a motor mount. When Acura replaced my trans 2 wks ago they also replaced a cracked motor mount the mechanic found. I really didn't notice a rough idle before, but I can DEFINITELY tell you it is smoother now at idle and realize it is now correct. I had a new '85 944 that went through motor mounts like crazy back then. You could always tell when they went bad. But, on a brand new car I wouldn't think a motor mount would be that likely unless the 6 speed puts more stress on the mounts from dropping the clutch, etc.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
It's done it on my 6 speed since 6 miles. I have 190 now. Had it 2 days. I posted about it in another thread. Almost feels as if the car wants to stall, but my rpm's don't move. Only when idle.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Pro

Re: Rough Idling?

Originally posted by gsrblack

Mine has 4k miles on it, and it's did it from new. The dealer "reset the ECU". That's their cure for everything. I had a doctor who's cure was Tylenol. I think both of them just didn't know what's wrong!

Still does it. My '01 auto never did it. I don't know if it's because of the extra motor mount, or how the engine is mounted, but at a light (with the clutch in Scalbert!), it's got a fair amount of shake. Reminds me of my old beater when you'd retard the timing at idle.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Mine doesn't idle steady as a rock at 9,025 rpms... but it's not fluctuating wildly either.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Gotta be the cold weather. It seems that any annoying and/or weird thing with the CLS (rattles, weird idle, weird tranny noises - excluding failure, of course) is related to the cold.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by pluto_1969
Mine doesn't idle steady as a rock at 9,025 rpms... but it's not fluctuating wildly either.
I hope it doesn't idle well at 9,025 revs. That nearly 8,500 revs over what the stock car should be at... In fact, my car does drive well at over 9 grand on the tach; valve float is a biatch... :P
Old 02-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i hate to sound like a broken record...but rough idle,resonance,.rattles,all gone now that i have two new motor mounts...they are liquid filled so i assume just a tear is all it would take....
look closely at the rear one, use a flash light...have someone put the car in drive/then reverse,with foot on brake with just enough gas to get the engine to load up....the TSB for the rear motor mount specs to rough idle and or stall,as symptoms

between the mounts and the rotors...my car feels like brand new...i didnt realize what a difference there was
Old 02-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Damn, hopefully it's my motor mounts are cracked. Well, maybe I'll try to find some time next month to take my car in and have the dealer look at it. They were supposed to call me in January to have the regional Acura rep to take a look at my paint. So since I think I'll be taking a week or so off of work next month, I'll have the time to drive up to the dealer and have them check out these things. Between the paint quality, rough idling, and getting my hand brake retightened, the car is great. No real major problems that would prevent me from driving.

If you guys get this idling thing checked out, please let me know what the dealer says. I want to see if there is anything common for this sort of problem.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by scalbert
I hope it doesn't idle well at 9,025 revs. That nearly 8,500 revs over what the stock car should be at... In fact, my car does drive well at over 9 grand on the tach; valve float is a biatch... :P
my bad, i meant 925 rpms that's about what mine seems to idle at when it starts up. thanks for the catch...

btw, nice avatar... big tool fan?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone else take their car in to get this checked out? I'm gonna call my service advisor at Acura to maybe setup an appointment. I want to have them look at my paint and get my hand brake adjusted again. Hopefully I don't have to pay for anything...I know they like to use the line that if they inspect it and nothing is wrong, I'd have to pay.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I'm not taking mine in just for that to be told it's normal. I also don't have 1K miles yet. I'll see how it runs after 3K miles.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:20 PM
The CL Crazy

I noticed it also a couple of weeks ago. Only does it when the car is in park and it is warmed up. It seems to shake a bit on idle. I just took it in today to get it check out. I will let you know the results when i pick it up later today.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

CT3.2 - do let me know. I called and asked the advisor about it and he said it may not be a problem but would look at it the next time I bring it in. He told me if it was anything serious, of course the check engine light would come up. I'll take mine in when the area rep is in to look at my paint.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just dropped off my car this morning to have them check out this rough idle. Will post on the results.

CT3.2 - what's the update on your car?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

When i start mine on a dreafully cold Michigan morning when it's 10 below, it usually idles around 1500 and slowly comes down to around 900 after a few minutes of warming up. I notice it kinda has a "surge" - although the revs don't change - every 3/4 of a second or so that makes the car shake a tiny bit, but it's barely noticable.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, picked up my 6 speed and they did not know why my car was vibrating in idle. They checked the engine mounts and found they were fine, tried adjusting the timing but it didn't help. It's been noted and they will check other 6 speeds to see if they also run a little rough. There were none at the dealer yesterday so they will have to wait until they either get one or if another person takes theirs in. They looked at the CL/TL Type S autos and found that those were rock solid and didn't run rough like my CL.

So I guess I'll have to wait or I'll have to get together with one of the AZ owners to check it out myself.