Rotor Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
The Speed Nerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor Problem??

I was driving my CL on the highway today. The weather was clear and everything was normal but when I pushed the brake to slow down there was this hissing sound coming from my left front brake area. I left it /heard it. Its been happening for a little bit when I am slowing down from a decent speed but doesnt happen as much (although it does happen some) when I am driving on the street.

I just replaced my rotors around 2-3 months ago with new drilled rotors. Could I have warped my rotors again? If so, what is causing the rotors to warp- the caliper design, or just the weight of the car and a weak rotor?

And if the rotors are warped again, what's the best way to make sure that this doesnt happen again? Is the best solution really to get the BBK? And if I go down that path- is it really worth it?

Let me know what you think. I hope it isn't the rotors but I believe it might be. Sucks because I really just replaced them.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:30 PM
ABP CL-S 6 NAV

What brand of rotors did you end up going with? If you got cheap generic types, you could have possibly warped the rotors already because they dont dissapate heat as well as say... rotora's
Old 11-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Not a doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could it be the wind rushing through the drilled holes?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

If it was the front rotors warped again, you would feel it through the steering wheel and the brake pedal, not necessarily hear it. It's something else.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RYANGP
could it be the wind rushing through the drilled holes?
That would be my guess. On certain days I can hear a slight air rushing sound at low speed braking when the windows are down and the radio is off.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by dalostpinoy
What brand of rotors did you end up going with? If you got cheap generic types, you could have possibly warped the rotors already because they dont dissapate heat as well as say... rotora's

Rotora is a gussied up stock rotor. You are not going to experience what a real performance rotor can do until you have used a Racingbrake rotor UP for about a year....these things do not warp. You can even swap pads without cutting the rotors down.

I have been selling them for a couple years now, and I have to say there is no better rotor out there.

Now, in response to the topic....you have not said anything that would indicate warpage. Warping is evident when the steering wheel shakes under braking. Do you have that?

The sound you are hearing could be the pads. Or it is possibly due to the drileld rotors, if the rotors are cheapies....Try cleaning them really well by hosing them out with water. Rinse them well. Note if a lot of brake dust comes out...like, more than normal. Sometimes brake dust bulildup will be the culprit of noisy brakes.

Marcus
Old 11-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I never had a problem with my Rotora slotted.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I never had a problem with my Rotora slotted.

I am sure you have not. Some people don't have problems with stock rotors either, but we are all different. When you compare them side by side with stock and Racingbrake, it is easy to see which is the better engineered part.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I am sure you have not. Some people don't have problems with stock rotors either, but we are all different. When you compare them side by side with stock and Racingbrake, it is easy to see which is the better engineered part.
OK. Now, I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I know you're a vendor and you job is to sell products.

With that said, the guy that started this thread was asking what are way he may be able to avoid warping. From all I have read and from my personal experience which included eating up pads and rotors by driving about 30K miles a year including a fair amount of city driving....ROTORA Slotted Rotors are better than stock. I went through 3 sets of stock rotors when I had my CL, not counting the times I had them re-surfaced. And the Rotoras out lasted all of them, without a problem.

I'm sure racing brake is a great product. I'm posting information I know from my personal experiences.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just started reading this thread. I am actually looking to replace my stock rotors with Rotora rotors. I just came across listing on craiglist for Brembo front and rear drilled/slotted rotors with pads for $300.00 Does that sound too good to be true??

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sanjbaby
I just started reading this thread. I am actually looking to replace my stock rotors with Rotora rotors. I just came across listing on craiglist for Brembo front and rear drilled/slotted rotors with pads for $300.00 Does that sound too good to be true??

Thanks for your input!
Not really. You can find similar ones on e-bay for around that. You might want to check to make sure these are not Brembo blanks that were cross drilled and slotted by a third party. I don't think Brembo makes slotted and drilled rotors for the CL.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Thats what made me question if this was a good deal. The guy didn't have a part number for so I could cross reference with a Brembo retailer.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Not really. You can find similar ones on e-bay for around that. You might want to check to make sure these are not Brembo blanks that were cross drilled and slotted by a third party. I don't think Brembo makes slotted and drilled rotors for the CL.
I made the mistake of buying the Brembo blanks/drilled once and had major issues with them. Don't do it.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Looks like I'll be going to with the Rotora rotors from Excelerate.

Thanks for the helps !!