Road Lamp Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Lamp Replacement

Left Road Lamp (Fog Lamp)burned out after one month. I attempted, for over an hour, to remove the lens from the front fog lamp following Acura's (Helms) Service Manual. I had a hell of a time getting my hand and the screwdriver into the slot to loosen the lens.
I then realized (before I completely removed the lens), that once I have it apart I will have a terrible time reinstalling the damn thing--so I stopped.
There must be an easier way to replace the bulb beside letting the dealer (under warranty) have the car all day.
Any suggestions?
Ernie

------------------
Ernie
Old 06-02-2001, 12:38 PM
Banned

You can reach your hand under the car and kind of feel your way to the light assembly then just turn it and it should pop out and you can change them. Its fairly easy, also consult the FAQ section for a more detailed description.

Jarod

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- 20% Llumar Charcoal Tint
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
- Solaris 9005 High Beams
Old 06-02-2001, 01:39 PM
Advanced

The same thing happend to me, I just took mine to the dealer and they replaced it for free!!

------------------
2001 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
also 97 Dakar yellow M3 and 99 Tacoma
Old 06-02-2001, 01:44 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ATLCL-S:
The same thing happend to me, I just took mine to the dealer and they replaced it for free!!And it only took 10 mins!!!

</font>

------------------
2001 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
also 97 Dakar yellow M3 and 99 Tacoma
Old 06-02-2001, 01:54 PM
Racer

It's really easy to remove the road lamps. You just need a long philips screwdriver. When you put the assemblies back into the bumper you have to put the outside corners in first. I've done it twice without the aid of a service manual.
Old 06-02-2001, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jrod178:
You can reach your hand under the car and kind of feel your way to the light assembly then just turn it and it should pop out and you can change them. Its fairly easy, also consult the FAQ section for a more detailed description.

Jarod
</font>
I stopped trying to unscrew the lens assembly. I could not get a GOOD feel for the phillips screw head and didn't want to strip the head.
I hope to hell it is a metal screw and not one of those dumb plastic things. I tried a No. 1 and 2 phillips screwdriver.
Oh well, a waste of time trip to the dealer.
Ernie

------------------
Ernie
Old 06-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
believe me dude you dont wanna un screw it! it's so easy it's embarassing get in front of the car lay on your side pop off the plastic screw connecting one part of the splash gaurd to the other reach up in there it's a twist and pull connection pull it staright out the wires lon enough that you can acctually pull it out from under the splash gaurd replace buld repeat steps opposite 5 min no prob

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-03-2001, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ERNIE:
Left Road Lamp (Fog Lamp)burned out after one month. I attempted, for over an hour, to remove the lens from the front fog lamp following Acura's (Helms) Service Manual. I had a hell of a time getting my hand and the screwdriver into the slot to loosen the lens.
I then realized (before I completely removed the lens), that once I have it apart I will have a terrible time reinstalling the damn thing--so I stopped.
There must be an easier way to replace the bulb beside letting the dealer (under warranty) have the car all day.
Any suggestions?
Ernie
</font>
First off, I would like to thank everyone who came up with their advise on replacing the road lamps.
FYI: Helm's SERVICE Manual (P.22-117)says take out the 'auxiliary' light (the lens cover) and then disconnect...etc.
The OWNER'S Manual (P. 254) says remove splash shield and then remove the socket...etc. The faster and easier method.
LESSON: Look at the OWNER'S Manual (free) first before the SERVICE Manual ($62.00).
OK, I guess I beat this subject to death.
ERNIE

------------------
Ernie
Old 06-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ERNIE:
First off, I would like to thank everyone who came up with their advise on replacing the road lamps.
FYI: Helm's SERVICE Manual (P.22-117)says take out the 'auxiliary' light (the lens cover) and then disconnect...etc.
The OWNER'S Manual (P. 254) says remove splash shield and then remove the socket...etc. The faster and easier method.
LESSON: Look at the OWNER'S Manual (free) first before the SERVICE Manual ($62.00).
OK, I guess I beat this subject to death.
ERNIE

</font>
ummm ... I had no problem taking out or putting on the road lamp housing with the HELMS method ... you just need the right size screw driver and use your finger to feel where the screw is. I took them out just to look at and put them back in less than 5 min.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Kenwood Amp with 10in. Pioneer sub.
(modified) CAI.

My Car