Replace ball joints or get new control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace ball joints or get new control arms?

Well the ball joints on my 03' cl-s are shot and I need to service them, however I need some advice before i go ahead. I know that acura offers the whole control arm with ball joints now instead of just replacing the ball joints. I found some aftermarket ball joints but I dont know if they are for the original control arms or the new control arms. In short, should I just buy the new control arms with ball joints or try and replace orginals. I would like to just replace the ball joints if I can.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
depends on how extensive the damage is... I just replaced only the ball joint after mine started making a creaking noise... part was like 25 from Acura and about 1 hr of labor
Old 12-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
You can replace just the ball joints but you need a press to get them out and in.
The new arms are just bolt on and bolt off.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
How many mile are on your ride? If your ball joints are shot there is a good chance the other two bushing in the lower control arm are nearing the end of there life. So its really your call but new arms would get everything.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you referring to upper or lower?

If we're talking uppers, buy an oem replacement ball joint either online, from Advance, or your stealership. Then rent the ball joint splitter and press from Advance. (shameless plug I work there) Rock Auto has great prices for things like this.

Pressing the old ones out and the new ones in isn't hard, make sure you go get an alignment after.

DO NOT buy the aftermarket press in adjustable upper ball joints. I ran them on my first CL for a week then replaced them.

If you are lowered and want camber adjustment (sounds like you're not but I'm just covering all the bases), then get the Ingalls Front Control Arms, the low profile adjustable variety.

Hope I didn't miss the subject completely and helped.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 01CLinprocess
Are you referring to upper or lower?

If we're talking uppers, buy an oem replacement ball joint either online, from Advance, or your stealership. Then rent the ball joint splitter and press from Advance. (shameless plug I work there) Rock Auto has great prices for things like this.

Pressing the old ones out and the new ones in isn't hard, make sure you go get an alignment after.

DO NOT buy the aftermarket press in adjustable upper ball joints. I ran them on my first CL for a week then replaced them.

If you are lowered and want camber adjustment (sounds like you're not but I'm just covering all the bases), then get the Ingalls Front Control Arms, the low profile adjustable variety.

Hope I didn't miss the subject completely and helped.
I replaced my front upper ball joints with adjustable ones, why didn't they work for you?

I didn't have trouble pressing the ball joints in or out, I had trouble getting leverage in screwing the bottom nut back on though.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
the lower ball joints in our cars are part of the knuckle NOT the lower control arms. You can replace just the ball joints if you want, just have to find a shop that can. I got MOOG replacement ball joints for $22 a piece from advance auto ( normally $44, got them to price match rockauto) and they're been great since, they should be more durable than OEM
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
when i did my lower ball joints i just hammered them in with a mini sludge... no problems at all.... no press needed fellas.

i got ingalls upper control arms and had a ball joint go on them !!!! but the sweet news is... with 4 lil alan key screws u can remove it off the control arm and save urself the hassle of removing the pressed in ball joints.

when u lower the car you are essentially making the stock ball joints ride on one side mainly and thus u are probably maxing the BJ out when u hit a big pothole which is why if u are lowered u should get the adjustable control arms cause it re-orients the location of the ball joint so it's not being maxxed out..

as for the adjustable press in upper ball joints.. i have read the back of them stick up high and then end up hitting the bottom of the shock tower.. that will not happen with the ingalls arms...
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
when i did my lower ball joints i just hammered them in with a mini sludge... no problems at all.... no press needed fellas.

i got ingalls upper control arms and had a ball joint go on them !!!! but the sweet news is... with 4 lil alan key screws u can remove it off the control arm and save urself the hassle of removing the pressed in ball joints.

when u lower the car you are essentially making the stock ball joints ride on one side mainly and thus u are probably maxing the BJ out when u hit a big pothole which is why if u are lowered u should get the adjustable control arms cause it re-orients the location of the ball joint so it's not being maxxed out..

as for the adjustable press in upper ball joints.. i have read the back of them stick up high and then end up hitting the bottom of the shock tower.. that will not happen with the ingalls arms...
True, I've had my Moog upper ball joints hit a couple times on big bumps.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
For the uppers id replace the whole control arm. That way you get rid of the worn out bushings at the same time.