Removing cheesy "anti-theft" and "push to select" on navi screen ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing cheesy "anti-theft" and "push to select" on navi screen ideas??

I think that those white phrases if removed on the navi screen and on the stock stereo unit as well (e.g. 6 Disc Compact Disk Changer) would clean up my dash, any ideas of how they put those words on there and how to debadge ??
Old 04-26-2004, 08:41 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Never noticed any white letters on my navi screen and on the stereo... I'll have to check into it-
Old 04-26-2004, 08:42 PM
DC Cruiser

Is the lettering gold and on the plastic? I'm going downstairs to look.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:49 PM
DC Cruiser

Acetone/3M adhesive remover maybe? I'm leaving mine the way it is-
Old 04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Drifting

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT! Because you can't! Actually, you would have to ADD paint to get rid of it.

My job places me heavily into automotive painting, both liquids and powder coatings. Let me tell you how all the lettering, symbols on the buttons, etcetra come about.

1. Mold button out of clear plastic: polycarbonate.

2. Paint clear plastic button with a light colored paint.

3. Paint again with a dark colored paint. Black preferred.

4. Place about 36 IDENTICAL buttons into a very precisely made fixture. Positioning is critical.

5. Place fixture containing buttons into one hellofa expensive laser etching machine, close the guards, and push the start button. Wait about two minutes.

6. The lazer is pulsed on and off And the lettering/symbols are created. The laser light has a controlled amount of energy, and the energy is absorbed by darker colors, which destroys the darker color. The lighter color underneath reflects the laser energy. Now, put a light bulb behind the switch for night driving, and you have the invention made by one of my co-workers, Larry Share, and you have back lit button technology.

So, you see, you would have to ADD paint, not remove it!

Recently, I was privvied to see a new advance in this technology.

A gray (top coat) button with laser etched print can have the print appear to be black during the day, and white when back lit.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Don't fuck with anything with your car, until you understand the technology that created it.

In your case, should you attempt to "remove paint", you're just gonna get one nasty assed streak of missing paint, and eventually end up buying new dashboard components, just to put it back to the way it was.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Instructor

ok well the thing is, I understand the buttons that you are referring to, the backlit ones that appear lit during the nighttime.

Those are fine and dandy, I am simply referencing the plain, unlit phrases such as anti-theft (no need to light that one up at night) and not any buttons or anything functional.

These letters do not look like they needed to be painted over or anything and do not appear to be etched with laser, look at your car to see the Gold colored phrase " 6 disk CD changer " on your stereo to see what I'm talking about...i think all that writing is cheesy and unnecessary...