Remote Starter Primer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:15 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Starter Primer

Here's a little email thread that I thought would be helpful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw on your post that you have a remote starter. I saw one on ebay and wanted to know how they work. How do you turn it off and is it hard to install by yourself?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-They work very similar to a car alarm.

-After the car is remote stared all you have to do is get in the car and put the key it the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you hit the brake before this happens the car will shut off (This is mainly to prevent someone from stealing your car when it is running). Most remote starters will keep the car running for 10-25 minutes and you can usually turn the car off with the same button has you press to turn it on.

-Depending on which car the starter is installed in it can be difficult. Most of the time Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti are the easiest. I have 5 years installing car audio and accessories and my 01CL-S was kind of difficult. It took me 4 hours due to the fact that I had to bypass the immobilizer in the key and disarm the factory alarm. I also integrated my factory alarm in to the starter. I know you have to run at least 4 wires
over to the passenger side under the dash. In past experience when customer came into the store and wanted to install their own starter that they bought themselves we would charge them more money to install it. This time of year is the best time to get one installed you can find good deals for Christmas. My advice is don't go for the cheapest one it will just give you problems, a few good names are DEI, DesignTech and the best is Clifford.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:25 PM
M3Racer

remote starter is pimp!! the ladies love it!!