remote start question please

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start question please

i just got my remote start put in yesterday.

i hit the lock button on my factory remote 3 times and it starts.

i used the viper 555h transponder to learn the key code to eliminate the need to give up my spare key. the brain is the viper 551r

here's the downside to the oem setup though....

i can remote start the car, but i cant remotely shut it off. PLUS, since the car is ON, the remote then becomes NON ACTIVE, which means i cant unlock the door. that blows and i didnt know that before i had it put in.

my question is, is there any way to BYPASS that....?

i have a friend with a TL, and he had it setup to hit the UNLOCK button 3x but the installer told me the doors would lock anyway once the engine starts.....

i'm not crazy about having to go up to my car and unlock the door with my key everytime i remote start it... anyway around this without giving up my oem remote?
Old 02-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you using the factory remote at all?

The remote start remote has the ability to arm/and disarm the factory alarm in conjunction with operating your doors, remote start etc.

Who installed this? If it was a shop, they botched this up good. I have the factory alarm and the aftermarket alarm working in conjunction with the aftermarket remote.

1) On your vehicle, there is a blue wire at the drivers door key cylinder that when given a negative pulse, will disarm the factory alarm without unlocking the doors. THis should be connected to the light gree w/black stipe wire on the 1st wiring harness on the 551R Valet. This will disarm the factory alarm for remote start.

2) The lock (Harness 1 - Light Green) and unlock (Harness 1 - Light Blue) outputs of your 551R should be tied into the lock (black/blue@ passenger fuse box) and unlock (orange @ passenger fuse box). When the 551r locks the car, this will arm the factory alarm, and vice versa.

Just with these two things addressed, you won't need the factory remote, and you won't have the problems you are seeing now.

It doesn't look like the 551R offers an output for a trunk release, so that would be the only downfall of not using the factory remote.

Assuming they installed everything else right, these should be the only things needing to be changed.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ur right, but i was the one who requested my remote start to work with my factory remote. u are right about the 551r, i think i'm gonna trade up to the 552t (?) tommorrow and just have em swap it out or something like that. i didnt wanna use the 551r's remote because its hideous, hence me wanting to keep the factory remote. i didnt know i had to manually unlock the door, otherwise i woulda more carefully plan out what i was gonna do.... what would u suggest doing? any module or transponder that WOULD allow me to remotely unlock the doors with the factory remote while the car is remotely started?
Old 02-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could always sacrafice the trunk release output of your factory remote to trigger the remote start.