Remote Start for CLS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Remote Start for CLS6

I was looking to do a remote start on my CLS6 with THIS KIT

Problem is I'm lost with my car being a manual and not an auto. Also there is the fact that the clutch has to be pushed in for the car to start so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Finally Registered

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I know it can be done, I'm just not familiar with how it can be done. haha. I had a friend who had remote start on his old Civic si. I hope someone will give you some good advice.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If it is not designed for manuals, then it's a major safety problem....Most you have to bypass the neutral safety switch. But if the car is left in gear when you remote start it will move forward & could cause another to be injured or damage your car or another's.

There are systems designed for manual cars that require the parking brake to be active & not in gear to remote start.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
If it is not designed for manuals, then it's a major safety problem....Most you have to bypass the neutral safety switch. But if the car is left in gear when you remote start it will move forward & could cause another to be injured or damage your car or another's.

There are systems designed for manual cars that require the parking brake to be active & not in gear to remote start.
Werd. Many shops refuse to install them in manuals for liability reasons.

Modern cars are designed to warm up while driven, under load. You're just putting needless wear on your engine by using a remote starter and wasting gas. Use the heated seats and your car will be blowing warm air by the time you're a couple blocks down the road. This is coming from someone who lives and deals with Minnesota cold winters.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I want it more to cool down the car after it sits in a FL parking lot for 8+ hours.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
^^what they said.

As long as it was designed for a manual, it should work. Had a compustar that worked fine my CLS6.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Instructor

the convenience and comfort of a remote start is worth it for me though. It's also a project I've been wanting to do.

I just looked at the compustar systems and I really like them. I'm guessing you cant just buy the system, they have to install it if you want to buy it? I also can't get their dealer location page to work, can't find their prices anywhere either.

Instead of bypassing the neutral safety switch I would do something like
as well as tying it into the parking brake then using that as my signal for the neutral safety switch which needs to see ground for the system to activate
Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Instructor

so this is what I came up with:

for the neutral safety switch in the diagram I am going to use magnetic switches as shown in the video I posted above. I will wire 2 of those switches (normally closed) in series and make it that when the magnet on either side of the shaft is close to one of those switches (when in gear) the circuit opens and the starter will not receive any power.

The next thing I have to figure out is how to bypass having to have the clutch pushed in to start the car. Any ideas? that's the last thing I have to figure out.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Instructor

so I realized I can just bridge the switch that is used to detect if the clutch is to the floor to start the car. My main concern was losing cruise control with the switch permanently bridged but then I realized there's a separate switch for cruise control to detect if the clutch is pressed.

Now I just need to wait until I get the rest of the money to order that system and I'll be installing this. I might do a write up just cause. If anyone has any different ideas or concerns be sure to let me know
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
as long as you use the starter made for a manual trans, there won't be any need for additional switches or anything other than what's provided in the box.

they will have some sort of 'reservation mode' where you have the car running, start the process (for ex. hit the remote start button on the remote with the parking brake up), remove the key (car is still running), and lock the doors (shuts the car down).

this ensures that the car is in neutral (otherwise you couldn't leave the car while it is running), and that the starter is now in a 'safe to remote start' position. at any point, if you unlock the doors, it will disable the reservation mode, and you cannot remote start the car until you do the process over again.

purple wire will be used to bypass the clutch switch directly. and yes, i've personally installed the viper 5901 in my CLS6. if i was you, i would either get it professionally installed, but i would definitely pony up the money for a 2-way from viper/clifford/python (all owned by DEI, the largest manufacturer of car alarm/starters/electronic gadgets), which is only about $200 from ebay.

Last edited by rp_guy; 11-19-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS

nah, let him install that kit, that way when the car drives it's self into his house from his garage, he'll know it wasn't a good idea...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
couldnt you wire the neutral position to be active when the Parking brake switch is also active? Alowing you to start in neutral only if the parking break on?