Reliability of Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:35 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliability of Upgrades

Currently the only real things I have done to my 01CL-S is 35% tint, some boom on the trunk, used Cusco STB (bought from Evilone), and a detailed shine like no other

I have read and read and searched up and down on this forum about these items that I am considering.

By the end of next month these are the planned upgrades Im going to have done:

1. Comptech Icebox
2. Comptech Headers OR Alpha Werks Headers (help me decide!)
3. Tein Super Street Coilovers (i may or may not install the SPC rear Camber kit that i have, whether I need them after install of the coilovers.) I only plan to lower the car about 1.5-2 in the front and 1-1.5 in the rear.

I purchased my car last April of 04 with 35,500 miles. My car now has about 46k I plan on keeping the car for another 3-4 years or until it reaches about a 100k. My question is in regards to people that have these mods, or similiar done. I want to know how they are holding up? How long or how many miles have you had them? Any problems with the particular mods or any problems with the car that is associated with those mods?

Im looking forward to these mods a great deal but at the same time im dropping a lot of hard earned money all at once. ANY comments and/or opinions given will be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I've got the Icebox and thr Alphawerks headers.

No problems at all from either of them since I had them.

The icebox is about 1-1/2 year old and the headers are about 7 months old.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm Cool

well your "detailed shine like no other " is the most unreliable mod you have. I too have the aw headers, and the comptech icebox. No issue here after i got my o2 sensor relocated, but no biggy.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:16 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Bobbydoedoe "well your "detailed shine like no other " is the most unreliable mod you have. "

Actually, as often I detail the car, the shine is pretty damn reliable

This is pretty much how my car stays looking almost year round

How long have you had your Aw headers and how many miles driven on them?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Has been sold for a while

If you are the kind of person who is worried about absolute reliability(I know I am) go with a set of Comptech headers. They have been proven over a longer period of time and have had less issues than any other brand. If you can't afford new ones pick up a set used. The used ones are going to be just as good just not as shiny.

p.s. Not trying to start the header debate again.....Just stating facts.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:36 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Im leaning towards Comtech's (new) but then again I could buy two AW headers for the price of one Comtech. I think Comptech has been around for the longest and what's nice is that the Comtech's are carb legal. One less worry about some tech failing my car upon VA inspections.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:43 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Anyone with any TEIN Set-ups have any responses? I know Tein is a reputable brand, but are they prone to noise or sqeaks?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:51 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Teins are awesome, you can adjust the ride height and stiffness of the suspension. I have noticed that people with the coilvers get a lot more road noises and suspension sounds. The Icebox is cool for what it is (a stock sounding cold air intake), but if you want sound along with the performance, i'd go with the aem or injen intakes. As far as headers go, comptech is the best and also most expensive. I have had OBX's and they lasted about 2 years with no problems at all. Others have experienced cracks and leaks though. And i have heard of really bad fitment issues with other brands of headers. As far as reliability is concerned, i think any mod on you list is more reliable than your transmission. I had my TL for 4 years, modded to all hell and the only problem i had was the stupid transmission taking a shit on me. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I have the Icebox and I had the AEM CAI. I like the Icebox better for many reasons. I like the stock look, and there is a slightly better sound than stock. The AEM is a lot louder. I also like the convenience of being able to get to the filter without having to go under the car.

As for headers. I have Comptechs installed right now. It's been a couple months, and the are great. I think there is a set of them on the Blackmarket for about $550. That's a good deal. I have heard a lot about the problems with the other headers, none with Comptechs. So basically you will be paying for quality. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I would spend the extra and get the Comptechs.

I'm getting the Tein SS put in right now. So, I have no feedback on those, but I did PM a couple guys before I bought them and they said they liked them a lot.

As for the shine, hope I get mine back after the snow and ice is gone. But it ain't too bad.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Thanks for all the responses so far. I think i will def go with the following,

1. Comptech Icebox
2. Comptech Headers

The only other question i might have to save some money is to run H&R Sport's (not oe) with some aftermarket shocks. Any suggestions, the biggest ones I hear talked about are the Tokico, Illumina's, and the Koni. I know that the Illuminas and Koni are adjustable but will run about 500-600 for a set of four (front and rear) while the Tokico wil run about 400 for all four? Any comments about going this route instead of the Teins? Im looking into the Tein lux springs but no one has any good pics with them on their car and reviews.

My main concerns with suspension is handling better, ssssslighty raked look and almost stock like ride. I wont be doing any autocrossing and I dont drive my car HARD all the time. I do like the idea of adjusting ride height and dampening but im worrying about the "noises" that coilovers may produce or enhance.

Sorry to sound like a noob asking these questions. I have searched all over on this forum and wanted more of a current opinion from you all since all the posts I read were way back when and when first installed with no real good follow-ups later down the road after installation.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Instructor

the noise on the teins(8f/9r) is not too bad, but if you want stock (zero squeaks) then you might want to aviod them, mine are a little cranky when you wake them up in the morning, they quiet down after a half mile, bumps are a little louder from being stiffer, and the highway is smoooth

im temped to add some deadning in the the wheel wells
Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by 01bluecls
Anyone with any TEIN Set-ups have any responses? I know Tein is a reputable brand, but are they prone to noise or sqeaks?
i've had 0 noise, squeeks or any problems w/ my teins, in 2 years of use.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Mattg, which Teins do you have SS or basics? Is there any greasing, or sleeve wraps that will prevent squeeking? Some mention that they have noise some dont. If i get the Tein SS I will be dropping the car 1.5 front and 1 in the rear like the old comptech for the slight rake look. I was wondering with such a minor drop will there be any probs? Im assuming that the SS were made to be dropped lower than that. I will prolly have the shocks set at 5 out of 16 in the front and 4 out of 16 on the rear for daily use.

I guess I have everything planned out except for the Suspension. I guess that why im bothering you all to get some personal opinions and expierences. As of now Im leaning towards the Tein SS but the ONLY worry i have is increased suspension noise normally associated with "coilovers."
Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Ok, After more and more research I have narrowed it down to these two set-ups in particular.

1. The Tein-SS Possible Pros- Offers best handling, everything is adjustable (especially since my concern is ride height). Possible cons: "coilover noise" squeeks etc.

2. H&R OE Sport (1 in fr and 1.25 rear) with Neuspeed/Koni Yellows: Pros: I can adust the dampening similar to the Teins, Stock like ride quality, I can adjust the height with the Koni about .5 in., meaning I would drop the front by .5 in to make the total drop 1.5 in fr and leave the rear koni at its middle perch for a level 1.25 drop on the rear. CONS: Im thinking the height adjustments may work or NOT?

Please correct me if im wrong or left something out to think about.

Anyone know the part numbers (front and rear) and where I can order the Neuspeed/Koni's for the best price?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Has been sold for a while

Go with the Tein SS. You won't have any regrets or squeaks.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
i've had 0 noise, squeeks or any problems w/ my teins, in 2 years of use.
Hey Matt, what settings do you have your Teins on? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Pro

i have alphawerks, no problems with the install or anything they looked great. deffinitely feel the gains and can hear them
Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 AM
"You my boi blue!"

I guess I have decided to go with Tein SS. Everyone that I have talked to know they are a great brand.

Now the last question I may have is what heights and out 16 what dampening are you Tein guys setting yours at?

I'm only gonna drop the car prolly about 1.5-2 ni the front and 1-1.5 on the rear. What dampening setting (1-16) on the front and rear will be like stock ride quality?? I was thinking about putting the rears to about 5, then the fronts to about 6.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:12 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Hey RavinJCLs Please post your review of your Tein SS's when you get a chance, I would love to hear about them.