regular or premium gas for cl-s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
regular or premium gas for cl-s?

i just filled up with regular and the car runs fine, does it matter?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 PM
2003 CL-S 6SPD

Whats the octane for your regular? I sometimes use regular, Octane 87, when gas is super $$$, but i definately hear (pinging like) a difference in my engine... Especially while being at idle and after consecutive tanks of the cheap stuff. When i use the good stuff, Octane 91, my car is almost completely silent when at idle. I also use the REAL GOOD stuff, Oct 94, but i dont feel or hear any difference over the 91. I also think i get better mileage with the better stuff.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
if it says fill wit premium then fill with premium! ull be losing power if u dont
Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 PM
2003 CL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what r u doin? definitly fill up with premium
Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 PM
03 3.2 CL Type-S (AT)

this car has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. Octane is a way to measure how much you can compress the gas before it will explode with out the spark plug starting the fire (this is called knock or out of time combustion and will damage your non-disel motors).

In a normal car compression is like 8:1 or 9:1 and the higher octane is not needed.

Only put 91 or higher in this car. I use 93 my self (it is the highest in my area).
Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
666 Speed

the other thing is that usually there is only a $0.20 difference between the 2 grades. So on 10 gallons, thats $2.00. on 15 gallons, that $3. Its funny that people never think this way.

If you are cheap enough to not spend an extra $3 on a full tank then...

Oh and I heard this thing on TV that if we all want the gas prices to go down, we should all just fill up 1/2 of our gas tanks. Think of it this way. If everyone, and I mean everyone, in the US only filled 1/2 of their tank every time they filled up, that other 1/2 tank would stay with the oil company as unsold. Easy right? Now going back to everyone doing it, it would give the oil companies 2x more gas then they "should" have or expect to have thus creating a surplus of gas and within days, the prices should drop. Even if a few thousand people did it, it should work by a few pennies.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by artbran
the other thing is that usually there is only a $0.20 difference between the 2 grades. So on 10 gallons, thats $2.00. on 15 gallons, that $3. Its funny that people never think this way.

Oh and I heard this thing on TV that if we all want the gas prices to go down, we should all just fill up 1/2 of our gas tanks. Think of it this way. If everyone, and I mean everyone, in the US only filled 1/2 of their tank every time they filled up, that other 1/2 tank would stay with the oil company as unsold. Easy right? Now going back to everyone doing it, it would give the oil companies 2x more gas then they "should" have or expect to have thus creating a surplus of gas and within days, the prices should drop. Even if a few thousand people did it, it should work by a few pennies.

I AGREE ON THAT, IF WE COULD JUST GET EVERYONE TO DO THAT. WE CAN TAKE CONTROL.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I only put Premium in the CL. I tested mid grade when I first got the car and it was pinging. So I stuck with Premium.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Alan, We already went thru this before

We even did the fucking math...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=math

Sell the CLS and buy something (like a civic) that doesn't take premium If you're too cheap to spend the the extra hundred bucks a year (driving 25K miles at $3 a gallon was $113 - see above link), they you shouldn't be driving a CL

I'm cheap (I still have the first nickle I ever earned), but I always buy premium gas... Start cutting coupons and save some money in other places...
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree I was thinking the same thing. The other day there was a 12 cent diffrence and I put in 12 gal. Thats an extra $1.44. If you cant afford an extra 1.44 you better sell your car and get a kia rio

Edit: Damn Green Monster you beat me too it

The only result I see from this is that everyone would be getting gas twice as often If I currently go a week and half on a full tank of gas then I could only go half that on a half tank fill up. So yeah the oil companys will be getting less from me on the first fill up but I will be putting money in their pockets in a few more days again. So over two weeks the companies has sold the same amount of gas if not more since I had to use more gas to go the station twice
Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 AM
FWD tuna boat

this would just make me have to get gas twice as often. it will not change how much i drive or how much gas i buy

also, i'm not sure if this is true, but i've heard that you get better mileage when the tank is full (some fuel return line scenario).
Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andre
this would just make me have to get gas twice as often. it will not change how much i drive or how much gas i buy

also, i'm not sure if this is true, but i've heard that you get better mileage when the tank is full (some fuel return line scenario).
I heard the same thing...thats why i always fill up with premium...and as for why i put premium...the manual said only premium and i think the people who wrote it know what their talking about...

I kind of think the "if you too cheap get another car" comment is harsh...but its true...if you want nice things you gonna have to pay a little extra for it... my nice way of putting it...

damn greenie....you are a monster....keep it real tho...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Alan, We already went thru this before

We even did the fucking math...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=math
Sorry Gaylove but you got badly.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Got DEP???

Sell the CLS and buy something (like a civic) that doesn't take premium If you're too cheap to spend the the extra hundred bucks a year (driving 25K miles at $3 a gallon was $113 - see above link), they you shouldn't be driving a CL

Got my girl an '06 Civic last April and she gets an average 30 miles per gallon CITY and it's winter, so everyday the car is running for almost 1/2 hour in the morning and during her lunch she sits in it with it running for almost an hour, but still gets like 29 MPG...

Hell, I haven't worked since June 30th and I still fill my car with 93 Octane...

Do you have a CAI? If not, get one. My AEM CAI gives me an extra 4 MPG...

Old 01-25-2007, 09:53 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redsly
so everyday the car is running for almost 1/2 hour in the morning and during her lunch she sits in it with it running for almost an hour
Why do people do this? there is no need to let a car run for a half hour to warm up. Also even more strange is the people sitting in their cars letting them run for an hour over lunch periods. Soo harsh on the engine
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Why do people do this? there is no need to let a car run for a half hour to warm up. Also even more strange is the people sitting in their cars letting them run for an hour over lunch periods. Soo harsh on the engine
Yeah, I know, but that's just her...

It's not always for a half hour either. I just go out and start it and my car while I smoke a cigarette before my shower (I hate smelling like a cigarette during the day), then I shut mine off and hers runs until she leaves. For some reason her little 4 banger takes a while to get any blocks on her temperature indicator (Digital gauges). My Integra only took a few minutes to warm up...

As for her lunch, she doesn't like staying at work during it and if she doesn't go anywhere else, she sits in it with her co-worker.

Here's an idea of the temperatures we have up here though (this was around 9 AM) and I think her just getting in and driving would be worse for her engine and the 5 Speed Auto needs to warm up or it shifts harsh...

Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Who did this in

Originally Posted by MISTAZOOM
Whats the octane for your regular? I sometimes use regular, Octane 87, when gas is super $$$, but i definately hear (pinging like) a difference in my engine... Especially while being at idle and after consecutive tanks of the cheap stuff. When i use the good stuff, Octane 91, my car is almost completely silent when at idle. I also use the REAL GOOD stuff, Oct 94, but i dont feel or hear any difference over the 91. I also think i get better mileage with the better stuff.
Yikes dude, I only put 94 in my CLS since day one. What's an extra $2 - $3/fill up?

Becasue they don't want to be cold for 2 mins while the heater is heating up
Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Not Asian

I use diesel
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phipark
I use diesel
My car runs on panther piss
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by redsly
Got my girl an '06 Civic last April and she gets an average 30 miles per gallon CITY and it's winter
We convinced my sister to get a 06 civic sedan... I've asked her what she's getting for gas mileage, but she's too retarded to figure it out
Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bayareaballin
the cars computer will retard the ignition so it doesn't ping... so you'll lose performance... you probably should have just got a 225hp CLP instead of a 260hp CLS, and you could have saved some money on the cost of the car AND about 100 bucks a year by using regular gas instead of premium...
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
Sorry Gaylove but you got badly.
christ gaylove. again? stop making threads.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Funny thing is, you aren't actually saving even that much because it is proven that our cars don't get as good of gas mileage with 87 octane. Do the math, you save 3 dollars on 15 gallons.
Pretend it is all highway driving and you get 30mpg on 15 gallons with 91 octane= 450miles on the tank
Now lets say you lose 2mpg with 87 octane and get 28mpg with 87 octane=420miles on the tank

Thats a difference of 30 miles per tank, therefore, that is 1 extra gallon of gas at $2.30 per gallon. So your actual savings is only $.70 cents and worse performance.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm here in spirit...

We convinced my sister to get a 06 civic sedan... I've asked her what she's getting for gas mileage, but she's too retarded to figure it out
Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
My car runs on panther piss
i dont the red text was nessasary... but... Funny tho!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
I use diesel
he might as well, seeing as he's willing to use 87 or lower if he could get his hands on it.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,095 Posts
No wonder so many people are getting 14 mpg in their CL's.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

its not that im cheap, Im jus out there trying to make dollar out of 15 cents. And it adds up. I save from daily activites which involve loose change, it adds up. Then invest It in mutual funds, cd's, bonds, and roth ira's. My money works for me, so dont hate
Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced

What you can do is just piss in your gas tank. That’s what I do. I just piss in to my gas tank every time I got to go. So I never stop at the gas stations. Oil companies never see my penny. And you can guess what I put I my motor when I do oil change. This is the cheapest way to go. Your car will smell a bit but you will save a lot of money for investment. Just make sure you are the first one in line on the freeway when you are chain driving with your friends. That way you can impress all of thaws people that are driving behind you. When they ask you "what the hell is that smell" You can enlighten them how they TO can save money on gas.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
its not that im cheap, Im jus out there trying to make dollar out of 15 cents. And it adds up. I save from daily activites which involve loose change, it adds up. Then invest It in mutual funds, cd's, bonds, and roth ira's. My money works for me, so dont hate
I guess your pops or moms never taught you this saying man, "Penny-Wise, Pound-Foolish".

Its like someone with your menality, they try to save a few bucks here and there, then they go out and spend $2K on a tv they can't afford, or a car they can't afford.

Learn the saying and you will realize how to save money and its not from saving $1-2 on a gas fillup.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:24 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,095 Posts
So true. My parents are this way. They bought an 06 GTO and I swear to God they put 87 octane in it. The dealership told them it would be fine as long as they didn't miss the performance. They don't take it over 65 mph anyway so to them it's worth it. Such a shame.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CLariSe-169
So true. My parents are this way. They bought an 06 GTO and I swear to God they put 87 octane in it. The dealership told them it would be fine as long as they didn't miss the performance. They don't take it over 65 mph anyway so to them it's worth it. Such a shame.
man what a waste...poor gto....do they wanna trade...lol...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe you could join the white rapper show and quote master p's lines hoping that your money would "work for you".

when did they allowed "loose change" CDs...
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Got DEP???

Yeah, I have to figure it out for her too! She has the EX Coupe, couldn't convince her to get the Si, since she can't and doesn't want to drive standard...

Here's a quote from Honda's web site on the Civic:

"The 2007 Civic is a model of high-tech engineering. A powerful 140-horsepower, 1.8-liter i-VTEC® engine comes standard on DX, LX and EX models.

Its sophisticated suspension has been engineered for a solid on-center feel, quick steering and excellent control. Features abound with a smooth-shifting 5-speed manual transmission and a compact 5-speed automatic transmission. DX and LX models sport front disc and rear drum brakes, while the EX comes equipped with discs all around."

Driving this car home from the dealership, the fucking thing was all over the place... Sophisticated suspension my ass...

Those poor bastards with the DX and LX have drum brakes in the rear... I don't even know why they make those anymore.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Got DEP???

Even the CL-P says to use premium...
But I'll trade mine for a CL-S...
Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by brianlin87
maybe you could join the white rapper show and quote master p's lines hoping that your money would "work for you".

when did they allowed "loose change" CDs...
didnt Keith Murray say that line first? who cares

I decided to post that cause this thread is worthless anyway
Old 01-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Don't hate, congradulate !

I wish I would have started saving at a young age instead of spending all my money on booze, strippers, and drugs
Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

Its starting to get ugly in hear
Old 01-25-2007, 03:43 PM
666 Speed

The only result I see from this is that everyone would be getting gas twice as often If I currently go a week and half on a full tank of gas then I could only go half that on a half tank fill up. So yeah the oil companys will be getting less from me on the first fill up but I will be putting money in their pockets in a few more days again. So over two weeks the companies has sold the same amount of gas if not more since I had to use more gas to go the station twice
Originally Posted by andre

I have noticed that when you have a full tank though, that most people will beat on their cars because they are not scared of running out of gas. But when it gets lower, they ease out of their driveway and ease in somewhere. They dont romp on the gas. I mean hell, I do it! If you pay attention to how you drive when your needle is low you will see what i'm talking about.

I was getting about a week and 2 days with a full tank. Then i dropped it to 1/2 at every fill up and at first i was getting 4 days. And once you drive with a bit more reserve, i got it up to 6 days on 1/2 a tank... Not like the 9 days with a full tank, but its still less.

Dont get me wrong, what you say is true, and i agree, but what i wrote above is what i have found to be true.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Sorry but what a dork. Do U now most V6's uses premium gas?

Somebody close this thread

Quick Reply: regular or premium gas for cl-s?